Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Leaks - Weatherstrips, Gaskets, Caulks & Sealants
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-02-2012, 08:08 AM   #1
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Basic questions on applying Parbond and Vulkem

Well, they don't stay new forever, and besides, I now have a 40 year old Cayo in addition to the 2010 Airstream. I've followed the caulking and sealing threads with detached interest until now, and now I need some advice.

I have a supply of Vulkem and Parbond laid in.

I believe my Cayo has quite a number of leaks. Like the former owner, I'm keeping it inside, so they haven't resulted in floor rot etc. I want to seal any sources of leaks before they result in water everywhere inside.

Questions:

1) What is the best way to remove old sealant and prepare the surface? Scraper? Wire brush? Chemical removers?

2) To what extent is it possible to reseal components without removing them? See, for example, the water inlet (photo).

3) What is the best strategy for determining what needs to be resealed? Just seal everything in sight? Garden hose? Sealtech air pressure machine? A combination?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	barg-water-inlet.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	154844  
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:12 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I use a variety of PLASTIC scrapers, some with points and angles. Get them at HD. When there is a little residue left, I use Brakeclean. Doesn't damage clear coat or aluminum and gets it of really well. Some places require a razor knife to VERY CAREFULLY loosen edges of sealers.

Tape off and apply sealer, smooth out with fingertip and remove tape immediately....especially with Parrbond....it skins really fast.

I just tape off around components, unless there is a compelling reason to remove them.

With the age of your Cayo, I would systematically reseal everything, beginning with those areas which are showing cracking or pealing of sealer. On your AS, I would just follow around the unit and reaseal just those areas that show cracking and pealing, and stay on top of it so you won't ever have to do the whole thing at once.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:14 AM   #3
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Thanks dzn. Makes sense.

My water inlet picture keeps showing up as a guitar. Forum software must be playing a belated April fool's joke on me.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:20 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Around components like the water inlet, trim with razor knife, tape off for a very thin bead of Parrbond. Others might say differently, but I really like the clean look of silver parrbond around items with small gaps.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:46 AM   #5
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Around components like the water inlet, trim with razor knife, tape off for a very thin bead of Parrbond. Others might say differently, but I really like the clean look of silver parrbond around items with small gaps.
With you on the Parbond. It looks great near water fills, trim etc. I like silkaflex on larger gaps. It flows out really smooth. I keep a squeeze bottle of solvent and go thru a lot of paper towels. I have also heard WD40 works well as a remover. I have yet to try it, probablly will this afternoon.
marzboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 01:58 PM   #6
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
Thanks dzn. Makes sense.

My water inlet picture keeps showing up as a guitar. Forum software must be playing a belated April fool's joke on me.
No AF joke...a lot of pic's on the site changed over to a rusty hitch photo early this morning. Went to my Dexter thread and all the photo's were of a rusty tongue...very cornfusing at 6am.

Mod's must have got it straight all look normal now.

Bob
Old 04-02-2012, 06:47 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Bloomsbury , New Jersey
Parabond or vulkum

OK, So I'm trying to get my Tradewind more weather proof. I am removing and resealing some items (IE vent pipes, stove vent, roof vents, and I wamt to seal the seams on the aluminum skins. Which sealant for what job, and a quick why? Also, is there a reason my stove vent cover is screwed on not riveted? same with fridge? MPJ
moparjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:01 PM   #8
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

John,

Here's a thread that should help.

Acryl-R for the narrow gap panel seams.

Bob
Old 09-15-2018, 07:22 PM   #9
FIREHOSS16

1982 31' Limited
1977 31' Sovereign
1984 27' Sovereign
BELLVILLE , Texas
I want to seal the bottom band, I suppose that is the description, on an 82 Unlimited, any recommendations
FIREHOSS16 is offline   Reply With Quote