Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Leaks - Weatherstrips, Gaskets, Caulks & Sealants
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-06-2010, 09:11 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
Hanover , Pennsylvania
Banana wraps layered outside of sidewall...normal?

Hello all,

I've just started to address some early rear end separation and water leak concerns. The first thing I've done so far is pull the rub rail around the rear of the trailer. What I discovered is that the banana wraps are mounted on the outside of the side wall panels. Is this normal? After some searching I found one other person who mentioned having the same issue on his AS. It would seem odd to have been designed intentionally that way. Is is possible or recommended or worth while to reverse this design, by placing the banana wraps under the side walls? I was not planning to take the banana wraps off when removing the belly pan, if possible. If this layering issue is normal for the banana wraps to be mounted on top of the side walls, is it typical to just apply a healthy bead of vulkem to the banana wrap seam underneath of the rub rail (along with sealing the top of the rub rail) to prevent the banana wraps from catching water and allowing it to seep into the belly pan?

Between the rear trunk/bumper design and the banana wrap/sidewall layering, it seems like water leakage was almost invited, kind of frustrating.

Thanks,
Eric
Emerson75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 09:17 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerson77 View Post
Hello all,

I've just started to address some early rear end separation and water leak concerns. The first thing I've done so far is pull the rub rail around the rear of the trailer. What I discovered is that the banana wraps are mounted on the outside of the side wall panels. Is this normal? After some searching I found one other person who mentioned having the same issue on his AS. It would seem odd to have been designed intentionally that way. Is is possible or recommended or worth while to reverse this design, by placing the banana wraps under the side walls? I was not planning to take the banana wraps off when removing the belly pan, if possible. If this layering issue is normal for the banana wraps to be mounted on top of the side walls, is it typical to just apply a healthy bead of vulkem to the banana wrap seam underneath of the rub rail (along with sealing the top of the rub rail) to prevent the banana wraps from catching water and allowing it to seep into the belly pan?

Between the rear trunk/bumper design and the banana wrap/sidewall layering, it seems like water leakage was almost invited, kind of frustrating.

Thanks,
Eric
Eric.

That construction method is normal.

Any water that might leak into the underbelly because of that construction, causes "zero" damage or problems, since it simply runs out the underbelly.

But, if you wish, you can seal the top side of the "rub rail" molding, which would eliminate the possible leak, and make you feel better, too.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 10:49 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
From reports by others , and what I have seen , it was done both ways , even in the same years , and sometimes even on the same trailer . Guess it was up to the worker-of -the-day , or maybe which direction they ran the production line that day , like odd or even days , who knows .
ticki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 11:38 PM   #4
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
Remember, you want lots of circulation of air in the belly pan. There's no way of keeping water out, esp. if you trailer in the rain, and a moist environment isn't good for either the wood floor or the steel frame.

- Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 09:43 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
Austin , Texas
I agree. This was a poor manufacturing decision. It turns this thing into a cup.
adwriter73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 01:01 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
Originally Posted by adwriter73 View Post
I agree. This was a poor manufacturing decision. It turns this thing into a cup.
That's what I thought, at first. However, putting the banana wrap under the shell/skin would make for a maintenance issue if you needed to work on the banana wrap or the outriggers.

Sealing the top of the trim band is a good solution. In all my trailers the shell comes down far enough that it covers the floor plywood, so it stays reasonably dry, even as water runs into the belly pan. Water in the belly pan is not a big deal, as long as you don't try to seal it tight. The original design allows for good drainage and altough this looks "wrong" at first, it makes sense, too. Remember, if you start to seal things up, you better be 100% sure that there can't be a leak, or you're just creating a trap and big problem. It's better to leak a little and drain, than to leak extremely little and drain not at all.

Zep
Old 03-07-2010, 03:49 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelinium View Post
That's what I thought, at first. However, putting the banana wrap under the shell/skin would make for a maintenance issue if you needed to work on the banana wrap or the outriggers.

Sealing the top of the trim band is a good solution. In all my trailers the shell comes down far enough that it covers the floor plywood, so it stays reasonably dry, even as water runs into the belly pan. Water in the belly pan is not a big deal, as long as you don't try to seal it tight. The original design allows for good drainage and altough this looks "wrong" at first, it makes sense, too. Remember, if you start to seal things up, you better be 100% sure that there can't be a leak, or you're just creating a trap and big problem. It's better to leak a little and drain, than to leak extremely little and drain not at all.

Zep

It seems there should be a better drain system though. Almost like foundation vents on a pier and beam house.
adwriter73 is offline   Reply With Quote