Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2010, 02:58 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1977 29' Ambassador
Union , Mississippi
Awning needs caulking

Guys and Gals,
With my awning up or down have a lot of rainwater that runs down the side of camper. Gets everything wet that is sitting close to to the camper or just under the edge.
Put awning out today to wash and clean and treat with high Tech fabric guard "303". Noticed when I was looking toward the top of camper while standing underneath the awning that I could see light in several places where the awning is fastened to the AS. Climbed up on ladder and found most of the caulking had turned loose at the same point thus letting light under the (I guess mounting rail for the awning).
This brings me to asking what is the best caulk to use at this point. I have read that TremPro 636, Vulkem 116, ParBond, Acryl-R, and Seamermate are all good. At this point on the AS what has other people used that gave good results? Thanks for any help in advance. Sorry for the long post.
Felix B.
Katman104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 04:23 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katman104 View Post
Guys and Gals,
With my awning up or down have a lot of rainwater that runs down the side of camper. Gets everything wet that is sitting close to to the camper or just under the edge.
Put awning out today to wash and clean and treat with high Tech fabric guard "303". Noticed when I was looking toward the top of camper while standing underneath the awning that I could see light in several places where the awning is fastened to the AS. Climbed up on ladder and found most of the caulking had turned loose at the same point thus letting light under the (I guess mounting rail for the awning).
This brings me to asking what is the best caulk to use at this point. I have read that TremPro 636, Vulkem 116, ParBond, Acryl-R, and Seamermate are all good. At this point on the AS what has other people used that gave good results? Thanks for any help in advance. Sorry for the long post.
Felix B.
Vulkem is the toughest and the best.

Make sure the surface is clean before application.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 05:55 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1977 29' Ambassador
Union , Mississippi
Andy,
Do you think Vulkem 116 would be the best for this or TremPro 636? ( from reading the forums 636 used to be made by Vulkem) Also, what is the shelf life of this product (116) after once opened? Thanks for your help.
Felix B
Old 07-29-2010, 07:18 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Andy,
Do you think Vulkem 116 would be the best for this or TremPro 636? ( from reading the forums 636 used to be made by Vulkem) Also, what is the shelf life of this product (116) after once opened? Thanks for your help.
Felix B
Same stuff, different cure times.

After opening the cartridge, sealing the open end very well, stocks most of the curing time.

However, it will cure within the tip of the cartridge. No biggie, just run a drill thru it when your ready to use it again.

Andy
Old 07-29-2010, 08:32 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1977 29' Ambassador
Union , Mississippi
Andy,
Thanks for being so helpful and quick with the answer.
have one last question....after I remove all the old caulk what is best to use to clean the aluminum surfaces with? Thanks again for all your help.
Felix B
Old 07-29-2010, 09:48 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Andy,
Thanks for being so helpful and quick with the answer.
have one last question....after I remove all the old caulk what is best to use to clean the aluminum surfaces with? Thanks again for all your help.
Felix B
Soap and water works well, as it will not bother the clearcoat.

Rinse well and let it dry before applying the sealer.

Andy
Old 07-29-2010, 03:22 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1977 29' Ambassador
Union , Mississippi
Andy,
Thanks so much for your help.
Felix B
Old 07-29-2010, 03:32 PM   #8
Rivet Master