Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2008, 04:05 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
1961 26' Overlander
Harmony , Pennsylvania
Exclamation asked often I know, but help please anyway

Right now we are maybe half way to through our remodel/repair. We are stuck as we still have two leaks that we can't find and hubby will not move forward until we get them fixed.

On the plus side: we have the frame all repaired and repainted, new floor in, new c channels, new axles, new water lines, new converter, new water pump refurbished shower, and new toilet waiting to go in.

Down side: no beds at all; (torn out) no gaucho at all (turn out by PO) and non-functioning kitchen.

I went back to school full time in the medical field and I get exactly two weeks off per year for the next two years. One is the week of July 4th and I desperately want to have this ready to go by then.

Ok: to the questions. One leak is at the dead center of the rear window in the back. (This is a rear BR unit by the way). We already put new gaskets on the rear tail lights, and resealed the window. Where else is this likely to be coming from?

The other two leaks are on both sides in the front. The street side leaks right where the curve ends at the front of the windows. My hubby tore that window out as he swore that's what the problem was but it's still leaking there. The other is curb side on the rear side of the door.

We have not replaces gaskets on anything on the top - I am assuming that we need to reseal/replace gaskets on everything up there. We have tried the water hose trick and didn't see any leaks that way. Am I safe to assume that it is likely to be on top? Or is there somewhere else that I should be looking?
wannaroam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 04:14 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Check all the clearance lights. Also, the vents for the sink and holding tanks tend to leak, and the vent in the roof in the rear may have a leak.
Have you replaced the window gaskets, both in the back window and the front center window?
Old 03-19-2008, 04:19 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
It has been said that ALL Airstreams leak. Sometimes even moving the coach to a different spot will cause a leak, due to different stresses on the coach body.

Have you changed vent pipe gaskets yet? There should be two of them, one for the bathroom, one for the kitchen on the roof. Could also be a seam between two of the aluminum body sheets. Sometimes leaks travel and do not originate where you think they are.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 05:30 PM   #4
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I took the window out and replaced all the rivets about 18" above the window. It continued to leak. I taped the inside of the seams and pressurized with about 1 psi. With soapy water I found several seam leaks high up, just below the crown.

Clean the seams and apply some Parbond or whatever that thin seam sealer is called.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 05:35 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Window gasket and lights get my vote.

Steve
Old 03-19-2008, 05:43 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
Suck it up and spend the money on a pressure test.
BRN #20321 Air #4056
"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 06:01 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
1961 26' Overlander
Harmony , Pennsylvania
Thank you all for the replies. Dennis, where/how do you get a pressure test? I assume at an airstream dealer? And by "suck it up" - just how much does this cost?
I think we likely should replace all the gaskets on top. Pick, I also wondered where they are really coming from, thinking the same thing - that they may be travelling.

They seemed to be ok but after lots of rain and snow they showed up again.
Old 03-19-2008, 07:02 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
I have been tempted to try a leaf blower adapted to a vent or window opening as a low cost attempt to find leaks. I found mine without that, so have never tried it.
Dave
AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 07:03 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
You should start at the top. Most likely your vent gaskets, tv antenna and sewer gaskets need replacing if they haven't been replaced in the last 20 years! The sewer gaskets get brittle after about 5 years (or so Andy from Inland says). I made my own gaskets for the sewer gaskets out of a piece of rubber roofing material & then put aluminum screen over the vent pipes & zip tied them around. That was cheap enough! The tv antenna is also a notorious leaker. I'd try that first up front. The leaks travel downward & alot of times seem to land up near the seam (where it meets the floor). Scrape off all the old sealer (whatever it might be), and reseal the tv antenna & vents with Vulkem (available at Vintage RV or Inland RV). You will see on the sewer vents that they have the rubber gasket inside of them after you take the aluminum "chimney" off of them. That is really what is important there. Do a search on the forum for "sewer vent" and you will find a step by step on how to replace that. I had one in the back window too. It actually traveled from a main seam above on the curbside of the window. But I first eliminated all the rooftop possibilities, which are far more frequent than seam leaks. I too tried the "SealTech" method. They did find some small leaks, but they weren't the ones that were causing my problems. I just kept at it with a hose and a papertowel along the floor to pick up the moisture as soon as it happened. But first start with the top. That's your best bet. You'll get it! Just takes some time & lots of patience (walk away if you have to!)

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 07:22 PM   #10
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckybillrae
Just takes some time & lots of patience
I can attest to that (he says, preparing to climb on the roof for the 312th time to fix leaks)...
Old 03-19-2008, 07:22 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1970 23' Safari
1956 26' Cruiser Overlander
Lambertville , Michigan
Airstream has built these backwards for years, convention will tell you to lay sheet metal in the same fashion as you do shingles on a roof, one overlapping the other. But, Airstream lays the roof panel first and them puts the sides on, this is wrong! to rectify this all you can do is run a bead of caulk/vulcum/parbond along the seam the entire length of the coach. My bet is, this is where your front leaks are. Lots of people say caulk the awning bead-rail, but the truth is you need to caulk the seam on both sides. Have fun and I hope your TT sees service soon.

P.S. I suspect that the rear window needs similar attention. Let me know if this works out for you...it did for me.

Yes, I am still working on it.
drag'nwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 07:27 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
Sorry for the brevity.

Here is a link to service shops and dealers that SealTech Manufacturing have on their web site. It also explains the process of how it works. When I did a google search to find this, I saw some places offering the service for under $100. I'd expect to pay $200-$300 if a shop charges by the hour.
BRN #20321 Air #4056
Old 03-20-2008, 06:38 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
1961 26' Overlander
Harmony , Pennsylvania
Thanks Dennis.
I'm curious as to how many have had this done?
Old 03-20-2008, 08:54 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
I had it done on my 2008 unit before I picked it up. I learned from not having it done on my 2004 unit (didn't know about it back then and the dealer of the 2004 unit doesn't offer the service anyway). Took 2004 unit to Destin, FL where it rained at least once a day and found we had a leak at the stove vent.
BRN #20321 Air #4056
Old 03-21-2008, 06:45 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
1961 26' Overlander
Harmony , Pennsylvania
thanks everyone

This forum is simply priceless, and I hope to get this done and get out on the road where I can meet you all, and thank you in person.

I will no doubt have more questions as I go,......