Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-03-2012, 12:56 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Applied EternaBond on Roof Vents Today...

I bought a roll of the EtnernaBond brand AlumiBond that I found at an RV store - Got a deal, as they hadn't been able to 'move' the aluminum tape product...

EternaBond AlumiBond

http://www.eternabond.com/v/vspfiles...d-brochure.pdf

Let me tell you - this stuff is REALLY sticky! If you check out some of the videos on their site, you'll see that it's easy to apply - just peal the backing away and stick it...!

I had some cracking in the caulking around the three Fantastic Vents I'd installed almost four years ago...

I used Acetone to clean around the vents on the roof - it gets rid of all the dirt and grime, etc - also then 'primes' the caulking...

I cut the EB tape to length, pealed away the backing film and carefully laid it in place up against the vents on all four sides...

The AlumeBond has to be handled carefully as it will crease easily, but it's not hard to get the hang of it...CAUTION, just like cured contact cement surfaces, the EB tape will stick where ever you lay it, and is almost impossible to remove, especially if you put any pressure on it!

I got a small plastic, hand held roller (like a wall paper trim roller) to secure all the EB tape in place - worked great!

The aluminum finish of the tape is shinier than the AS panels, but will probably 'dull' with age and match quite well - can't really see it up there anyway!

EB also has a 'double sided' product made of the same sticky stuff - sure wish I'd known about it before I installed the vents - I could have applied strips of it instead of using caulking for a much neater, leak free (probably forever) installation - then topped with some regular EB tape to seal from the top, I'd never have to worry about leaks again!

I see that EB is BIG in the roofing industry, as almost every roof supply business for miles around me is listed as dealers on EB's web site - and you can order direct from EB, and the prices look better than what you'd get from an RV store, too!

It comes in several colors, and the white for later AS's would be a good match - PLUS, the regular tapes would be easier to apply vs the AlumiBond stuff I used...

http://www.eternabond.com/RoofSeal-p/rv-rs.htm

I've been told that EB will repair cracks and small holes in Poly type water/waste tanks and piping...Before applying the EB, I think I'd 'temper' the tank's surface by heating the area slightly with a propane torch to make it 'glossy' before attaching the EB tape...good road repair hint - find a roofing contractor and talk him out of a small piece of EB tape!

http://www.eternabond.com/RV-EMT-Min.../mini-roll.htm

Let's keep dry out there!
Old 01-03-2012, 05:48 AM   #2
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Ray,

Looks like something that should be in my AS tool box....thanx.

Bob
Old 01-04-2012, 11:52 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
As I mentioned above, EternaBond is used in the roofing industry for sealing all kinds of surfaces, flashing's, etc...

I stopped by a local roofing supply that I've dealt with, today, to check out their inventory...

They did have several versions of the EternaBond, but several other types and brands of sealing tapes as well...

Some of the 'others' use Butyl Rubber and Bitumen based products as the sealing media - I checked them out, and none of these types had the 'stickiness' of the EternaBond I used on our AS - As a result, I'd beware of these cheaper, more common type sealing tapes...

EternaBond says their tapes use 'microsealant technology' - and their MSDS shows the product contains a 'polyolefin & synthetic elastomer...whatever that means...All I know from personal use on our AS's roof, is that stuff is REALLY sticky, and should seal against leaks for many years...The aluminum surface of the tape will also shield against any UV damage to the sealing material for lots of years!

The roofing salesman said that they've been using these other types of sealing tapes in the industry for a long time, and that the EternaBond product is comparatively new, well suited for eliminating leaks on all kinds of roofing - which many the other sealants won't adhere too...

Sooo, if using a roofing supply to get your Eternabond, I wouldn't let them talk you into these other types of sealing tapes...

Note: I have no connection with EternaBond what-so-ever, but believe it's a great product for many of those 'leaky' situations we AS'ers may experience (SOB'ers too!)...

Here's another supplier I found that seems to have good prices... Eternabond

It bears repeating, that if I were installing new vents today:

1. I'd use the EB double sticky tape between the vent frame and the roof surface (that stuff is so sticky that alone, it would probably hold the vent in place forever!)...
2. Then drill and secure the frame mechanically - screws or rivets...
3. Apply 4 inch wide EB (Alumbond type) over the screws to overlay the frame ridge and down onto the roof surface, all the way around the vent frame...
4. You'll NEVER have any leaks - EVER, and no ugly blotches or beads of sealant that will eventually be attacked by UV rays, causing future leaks!

Here's some more tech data I found about EB:
Composition
Eternabond RoofSeal/OneStep utilizes EternaBond’s advanced MicroSealant™ Technology, a 100% solids formulation of synthetic resins, thermoplastics and non-curing rubber (non butyl) with a built in primer, bonded to a tough UV stable backing. Designed not to harden under even the most rigorous conditions. Sag temp > 200ºF. MicroSealant™ is protected (while in a roll) by a tough, easily removed siliconized polymer release liner, which prevents contamination prior to its use. All materials are prefabricated to provide uniform thickness.

Keep dry out there...
Old 01-05-2012, 09:54 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
1960 26' Overlander
1963 24' Tradewind
El Paso , Texas
Thanks for the info,I have to try this stuff.
desertair27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 10:59 AM   #5
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Good report. Have been aware of it, but had not read the site until your links. I've used ordinary aluminum foil tape for some temp repairs and can see that, with mods, the Alumibond tape might make a permanent repair.

Thanks
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:11 AM   #6
98 33' Beach House

1998 33' Land Yacht
Beaufort , South Carolina
Eternabond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexray View Post
It bears repeating, that if I were installing new vents today:
1. I'd use the EB double sticky tape between the vent frame and the roof surface (that stuff is so sticky that alone, it would probably hold the vent in place forever!)...
I'm not sure that my 'clear' skylites (that are a nice golden color now) won't need replacing sometime in the future so it would seem that securing them between their frame and the roof might pose a problem during a re-fit.

The Eternabond-now Sticknbond from PPL- is amazing! Our 98 33' LY has had minor leaks over the past 5 yrs. that I was chasing with caulk. This tape has eliminated all of the thru-roof worry spots.

Wish I'd had this stuff 5 yrs. ago!

Chip in SC
mossyoaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:14 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
What if you have to remove it in the future? Is there an "un"-Eternabond method?

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:58 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1985 31' Limited
Nellysford , Virginia
Eternabond removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
What if you have to remove it in the future? Is there an "un"-Eternabond method?
I just read on another forum (Avion) that EternaBond tape can be removed by putting Gorilla duct tape on top and pulling up on duct tape? Haven't tried it but the writer says it works
RTurnConn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:53 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Taking Mexray' advice, I bought two 3" x 50' rolls of Alumabond through eBay. What a product. I used lacquer thinner to clean the areas that I was going to apply the stuff.
If there was any old caulking that looked like it had shrunk, or started to flake off, I removed that first, then cleaned the area.
I used a 1" wall paper roller to apply pressure to seal it well. About the only warning I would give it to make double sure the Alumabond is in place where you want it before you pull off the plastic from the sticky surface...
The only problem I had was climbing up on the roof, I'll be eating Ibuprofen for the next few days....
This stuff should take care of any leak problems for years. I'm going to get another roll to put in the tool kit.

Larry
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:18 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
I used Eternabond on my old SOB with a rubber roof. I taped all the joints and seams as a preventive maintenance process. I have considered using it on my AS but have not done it yet. It is some tough stuff.