Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2019, 10:59 AM   #1

2006 25' Safari SS SE
white salmon , WA
Anything I shouldn’t seal 2006 25’ Safari SE SS?

2006 25’ Safari SE SS – PO didn’t keep up on maintenance the last couple of years. My first AS not my first RV. I’m about to do a roof to underside sealant inspection and reseal. I’ve read through forums and figured out and purchased all the materials for AS sealing. What I haven’t found is a thread that lists every single thing to seal or anything to explicitly not seal?
Is it worth unscrewing the various stainless screws and bolts and putting sikaflex in the holes and running them back in? Long list of screwed and bolted on fittings – stone guard and window cover hinges and toggles, awning fittings, open door catch, running, porch, number plate light.
Intrusions with closed cell foam gaskets – city water, cable, exterior 110v and similar? Special treatment for these?
Thanks in advance
marmiteyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 08:02 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Crystal River , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmiteyum View Post
What I haven’t found is a thread that lists every single thing to seal or anything to explicitly not seal?

I'm on my third 25 Safari and I end up doing the same, working from roof to axles resealing anything I think needs it which is typically all of it since I typically buy that type. I strip and redo any caulking around the power vents. I replace the plastic sewer vent caps/range hood vent. When I do the range hood vent I take aluminum tape and do a better job of directing the cooking air out to the vent. It doesn't hurt to do the same with the air condition vent. Replace the shower vent. I clean and put a cover coat of self leveling caulk on the upside section of the refrigerator vent. Access to the refrigerator vent is difficult. I attach a tube to the end of the caulk gun and then some stiff wire to the end of that tube. I bend the wire to make a custom applicator so I can reach where I need to reach. Replace antenna. Strip and recaulk TV antenna mount. Pull the rub rail and caulk at rear bumper. That is a prime time to pull the edge wrap and see if you've had leaks and rust on the outriggers. Tail lights are almost always suspect. Pull those and inspect. There's a plastic interior cover that tends to crack allowing tail light run off to enter the cabin mysteriously. Those can be repaired with cleaning and caulking. Check the tail light gaskets. The gasket goes between the lens cover and the metal can but typically you'll find them between the can and the metal mounting frame. Check the escape hatch gasket, it's a cheap replacement but can leak like a SOB if it's bad (experience talking). Other than that just look for typical signs of problems. One big red flag for undiscovered leaks is lots of caulking where it doesn't need to be.