Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2010, 04:33 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Indian Harbor Beach , Florida
And the leaks continue....

Getting ready to take the AS back to the dealer for yet another leak...lost count. We just returned from 5 weeks in COL...weather was great...no rain, until we got about a hour outside our home. Poured like crazy and we found a new leak between the frig and closet on the floor. This is getting ridiculous! My question is this: can we call Jackson Center and take it up there for a really good look see? We also found our cable is not hooked up correctly and our table laminate is separating....advice???
We bought this in Feb...new, and every time we've used it, it goes back to the dealer. Last time there were 8 items on the repair list. Is this normal for Airstreams? I don't mind some little things going wrong, but this has gotten ridiculous.
Anybody else out there have this many problems?
kidsgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 05:00 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
What are the rest of the 8 items you mentioned? Where are the other leaks you had?
This will help the rest of us who need to look in those places.
I had a 87 trailer from new and never had a leak in it. Sold it this year. So no it's not always normal. But some do have problems, and I'm sure they will step up and be heard.
I'd like to hear more about your new one as I too have a new trailer.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 05:04 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I had one leak that the dealer fixed a couple of times and it still came back. I went to Jackson Center and they fixed it permanently. Don't hesitate to go the JC!
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 05:12 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
I had one leak that the dealer fixed a couple of times and it still came back. I went to Jackson Center and they fixed it permanently. Don't hesitate to go the JC!

Sam, where was the leak? How was it fixed?
Old 06-16-2010, 05:51 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Just did what you said, GO BACK TO JC. Ask for (demand) an air pressure check to locate ALL the leaks. While up there I watched them do this to a unit - 8 leaks, 4 only slightly and 4 that were real bad. Several more, including mine were getting repairs for leak damage, we are talking newer units - 2000 and newer. They are pros, they know the trailers well, and can fix anything correctly.

It's a haul but I can give you some advice on a great Walmart half way to stay overnight.

Mike
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 06:05 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Thanks for the advice everyone. How far in advance do I need to call to make an appointment? About how long should we expect to stay there? We usually travel with our dogs...ok to bring them?
Old 06-16-2010, 08:11 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Kiln , Mississippi
JC is dog friendly - you can have them at the teraport (their campground with full hookups) and in the waiting area. Just have them on a leash. I had mine there with no issues - others did to.

If they just have to repair leaks and you are willing to wait - they can work on it during the day and roll it back out for you in the evening to sleep in. If there are major repairs, interior panel removal then you may wish to leave it. From south Mississippi, it took me 13 hours of total drive time, so Nashville was half way for me - and a very nice Walmart for overnight. They were very friendly there and the store was one of the best I have been to.

Call ahead and you will get Chris to make the appointment in service. Summer/fall is a peak period and there is a winter discount period but that is not until December (Burrrrrrr for Ohio).

With an appointment, you will be first in line the day of the appointment - the pressure test takes about an hour. They pressurize the unit and spray water with soap to show the leaks on the outside. This works very well. Then the resulting leaks will have to be sealed. Any floor damage will take more time. If still firm, it can be dried out, just depends.

Mike
Old 06-17-2010, 10:38 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
What are the rest of the 8 items you mentioned? Where are the other leaks you had?
This will help the rest of us who need to look in those places.
I had a 87 trailer from new and never had a leak in it. Sold it this year. So no it's not always normal. But some do have problems, and I'm sure they will step up and be heard.
I'd like to hear more about your new one as I too have a new trailer.
ALL fans leaked, skylights leaked, all storage compartments were not properly sealed and this started the initial flood (water over our feet). 3 tires had bulges that dealer said was normal, took them to goodyear and they immediatley replaced them, this was not normal for goodyear! Oh and at our cost! Awning never worked right even tho dealer said it was fine. Ended up replacing arms with stainless steel (chaching) from zip dee...again at our cost. Back window leaked, dining table coming apart, door was not in alignment, do you still want me to go on??? We are calling JC today, love the AS, but too many problems. We bought this new in Feb. We haven't had any problems with the Equuilizer, tho we're beginning to think we need to have it reset.It would be great to use it without the thought something else is going to go wrong...And we thought we were buying a quality product!!
Old 06-17-2010, 10:41 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Sumner , Washington
Buyers remorse........not a good thing.....
howco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 10:43 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
Sam, where was the leak? How was it fixed?
It was over the front corner. They pulled the front plexi window hinge and reset it.

I was at JC with my two dogs and there were several others there too.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 12:40 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
We took our Basecamp to JC to get leaks fixed. Everything was fine for about the first 200 miles, then the leaks started again. Took it back to the dealer (Colonial) and they found the leak that JC didn't. It was under the air conditioner. No major problems since...

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TAC - NJ-007

bobfowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 02:10 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Fort Worth , Texas
OK, reading this is making me nervous about buying an AS especially since i've already heard about the common shower leaks in the 23FB. Is there anything i can do while shopping for one to check for the outside leaks? If the unit has been sitting outside on a lot during all the early spring rain, with no obvious leaks, i suppose that's good but what about the rain hitting it at 60mph while driving? I will not be showing this thread to my husband who is already balking at the high cost of these units.
ASNewbieKel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 09:46 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Kidsgone and Wayne&Sam, thanks for answering my direct questions.
I have been going over my coach looking over every inch of it. (I have the time) I have bought the sealers and caulk that Airstream uses and have gone over the whole trailer carefully to fix any spots that were done in a hurry.
There really wasn't much, but enough to have caused problems like what some of you guys have seen.
I know I really shouldn't have to do this with a new unit but, I feel better knowing that I checked it out and corrected any mistakes I could find.

ASNewbieKel,
Not all Airstreams have these problems. But to make sure your is OK when you get one, you'll have to get out the ladder and look real close at things when you get it. These things have a 2 year warranty, if you buy new, so you could get the dealer to fix all the stuff, but I'm only happy when I find and fix things myself. And I'm that way no matter if it's a car, truck or trailer or house. If you, or you husband is handy and you have time to spend on the trailer to get it right then you shouldn't be overwhelmed. The way I see it, it's just part of the process of getting a trailer.
This is my second A/S and I was very happy with my first one once the minor irritations were worked out. After that there was only very little upkeep on the unit and it went thru everything 23 years of traveling could throw at it and is still a good trailer for someone else now.
If you still want one, do it, at least your not getting into this with blinders on and know what to expect. And will know how to fix it if you keep on reading all the info posted here.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:03 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidsgone View Post
ALL fans leaked, skylights leaked, all storage compartments were not properly sealed and this started the initial flood (water over our feet). 3 tires had bulges that dealer said was normal, took them to goodyear and they immediatley replaced them, this was not normal for goodyear! Oh and at our cost! Awning never worked right even tho dealer said it was fine. Ended up replacing arms with stainless steel (chaching) from zip dee...again at our cost. Back window leaked, dining table coming apart, door was not in alignment, do you still want me to go on??? We are calling JC today, love the AS, but too many problems. We bought this new in Feb. We haven't had any problems with the Equuilizer, tho we're beginning to think we need to have it reset.It would be great to use it without the thought something else is going to go wrong...And we thought we were buying a quality product!!
That's a long list. I hope you found all the problems now and once fixed you can enjoy the trailer and get out there and travel. Do you have another dealer you can go to instead of the one you are working with now?
Old 06-18-2010, 12:54 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Bluto, We do not have another dealer close to us, but we have made an appt with Jackson Center on 12 Jul. I'm sure they will go thru it and we will be on our way. We're being optimistic regarding the problems and so glad we bought new!
If anyone has any words of wisdom when taking this AS to JC please let me know.
Old 06-18-2010, 01:21 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Kiln , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidsgone View Post
Bluto, We do not have another dealer close to us, but we have made an appt with Jackson Center on 12 Jul. I'm sure they will go thru it and we will be on our way. We're being optimistic regarding the problems and so glad we bought new!
If anyone has any words of wisdom when taking this AS to JC please let me know.

Check your private messages for my phone number
Old 06-18-2010, 11:25 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
kidsgone, I'm optimistic for you too. I have had work done by JC in the past and have always been satisified. Just make sure you have a good list and explain the where and when you have the problems and give them a chance to make it right for you. When they are all done I would ask them what they found and explain how they corrected the problems.
I figure that I'll also make a trip to JC before the 2 years are up on my coach and have them tweek any problems I encounter. Take the plant tour, spend lots of money in the store there and take it easy while they take care of everything.
Don't forget to let us know how it all worked out.
Old 07-18-2010, 02:53 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2010 22' Interstate
Anchorage , Alaska
July visit to JC?

kidsgone,

How about a status report on your trip to JC? We'd all like to read a full report; the good and the bad.

Wayne
AIR #44779
TAC AK-1 !!
wayneskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 07:43 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Wish I could say we went but due to sale of our home, we took it back to dealer and they found 2 leaks and also our cable was never connected! All is well, fortunately, for the moment, but no storms lurking in the near future!!! We are hoping to make the trip soon...we really do like our AS, it's kinda a love/hate relationship at the moment. So that's our update!