Old 12-10-2005, 02:28 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Alcoa Gutter seal Instructions

Lets try again. This forum software is screwing up just like it does on every other site that I frequent that uses this software and not posting. Then losing what you type.

I need to seal a couple leaks. Its fine seams and rivets so not where my trusty Vulkem is going to work. I needed a product that would wick into the seams.

Airstream was out of stock with a long back order on the Acryl-R I originally intended to use. I decided to try Alcoa Gutter Seal so I place a order with the fine folks at Vintage Trailer supply that have been so helpful in the past.

Nice prompt service as Usual. I received the product last week. Rain finally quit and I wanted to see if I could seal up these leaks today. A nice brisk day in the 40'sF. I figure that this product probably has a working temperature range so I grab the tube and read the highly detailed Directions.

Quote:
Directions
For best results apply only to clean, dry surfaces.

Warning flammable, keep way from heat. Don't feed to kids yadda yadda yadda.
Well GEE thats some helpful directions there.

Alcoa site is anything but helpful and being Saturday nobody will answer the help lines I am sure.

I recall reading the Vintage Trailer supply folks were going to be on vacation this week.
Anybody know the working temps that are acceptable for this product?

59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 04:22 PM   #2
Remember Burma Shave!

2006 19' Safari
2000 25' Safari
1985 25' Sovereign
Fort Myers , SW.Florida
Rivet

Try this. It wicks in, even through water.
It will work!
Camping World
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sealer.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	16995  

NORM #3305

"... there is nothing you can't fix yourself ...
... if you're handy ...
... with a check book! ..."
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 06:51 AM   #3
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
59toaster,
In response to your orginal question...with the Alcoa gutter seal the temps are going to need to be 40 degrees and rising, this comes from personal experience. As far as material data sheets for Alcoa...I have never been able to get a MSDS from those clowns. And I work in the industry. And FWIW the Alcoa seems to work better than the Parbond...but is harder to get off it you need to remove it in the future.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 10:13 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc
59toaster,
In response to your orginal question...with the Alcoa gutter seal the temps are going to need to be 40 degrees and rising, this comes from personal experience. As far as material data sheets for Alcoa...I have never been able to get a MSDS from those clowns. And I work in the industry. And FWIW the Alcoa seems to work better than the Parbond...but is harder to get off it you need to remove it in the future.

Aaron
Thanks

Thats the temps I was thinking I needed to shoot for. I think I will take a hair dryer and warm the area around the one bad leak and see if I can get it sealed since we have rain coming back in the next couple days. Wait for the next warm spell for the rest.

Whatever they originally used in the corners of the window frames is letting loose on several window frames and that seems to be my worst leaks. Never would see the leaks if the interrior panels had been on. This is not where it seals to the body its the corners on the frame itself.

I bought enough to go over the complete roof and all the window frames.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 11:27 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

I used the alcoa gutter seal a few weeks ago in about 40-45 degree temps, it was sunny so the aluminum was warming too. I cleaned the surface to be sealed with steel wool and MEK (which is the solvent in the gutter seal) then used a syringe with a ground-off needle to lay the sealant into and over the gap - it reallly does wick right in. I sealed some other areas when it was about 30 degrees out and these areas seem to be working fine too. I have some pictures of my syringe tools on my thread 22' 1962 safari.

Carlos
Old 08-16-2012, 11:12 AM   #6
Vintage Trailer Supply
Commercial Member

1956 22' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Montpelier , Vermont
Gutterseal

The MSDS for Gutterseal used to be hard to get before Alcoa's siding division was bought by Plygem. The MSDS is here on our site now:
Alcoa Gutterseal

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
59toaster,
As far as material data sheets for Alcoa...I have never been able to get a MSDS from those clowns. And I work in the industry.

Aaron

WBCCI #1573
VintageRV is offline   Reply With Quote