Old 10-16-2011, 08:41 PM   #15
NOAZRK

2004 34' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Kutztown , Pennsylvania
Hi New to safari-ing,

You probably saw the photos I posted showing the extention that shoots water over the top crack of the slideout. If not scroll up.

Another thing you might want to check is the caulking. I caulked every rivit head on the roof above the slide, especially the ones that pull the aluminum into a pocket or pan. Caulk the full length of your awning rail. Caulk any sky lights or airconditioners.

If the leak continues to be a problem consider this. Between the outside and interior skins, there is an aluminum frame that runs horizontal across the top of the slideout. By parking the trailer off level (front to back) see if carpet gets wet in the front of the slide area if the front of the trailer is down lower and the opposite if the trailer is parked with the front high. That way you can deternine if the leak is somewhere directly above the slide or coming from the front wraparound windows.

Good luck

Noazrk2690

Old 10-16-2011, 09:04 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2001 30' Classic S/O
2001 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel 300 hp w/slide
Helotes , Texas
We have not had our slide out long and have not experienced any leaks untilthis week. While driving out of Washington DC we drove several miles in a very heavy rainstorm, When we set up that evening and put the slide out the carpet was damp in frony of the slide out and wet along the track of the forward section.....any ideas

Old 10-17-2011, 07:15 AM   #17
NOAZRK

2004 34' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Kutztown , Pennsylvania
Hi New to safari-ing

If the carpet on the front of the slide got wet while traveling, I would start by checking the caulk around the front window and also around the roof vent, air conditioner, sky light, & rivits if any of those items are above the slide. Another possible cause for a leak is that the drain holes in your slide frame may be blocked up. With the slide out, just look under the front and rear corners of the slide and you will see a 1/4" tube hanging down. I took a soft piece of wire and stuck it into the tube until it came out the top of the slide frame. Make sure you hold the tube while you fish the wire through it. If you have a step ladder, you can look on the top of the slide frame and see where the wire comes through. Sometimes dirt or a spider can build a nest and block the tube shut.

Since you're new to your safari, there are other threads on the forum about caulk. Apparently any caulk with silicone is a poor choice because the silicone reacts with aluminum and can cause the aluminum to erode. I found a good non-silicone caulk at Lowes called "DAP 3.0 Chrystal Clear". Make the smallest possible hole in the tip of the tube. It is fairly easy to control and makes a neat seal. For the rivits, I just shot some caulk around the head and tapped it down with a finger full of spit. There are other caulks that Airstream recommends however it's harder to control the application.

~NOAZRK2690
Old 10-17-2011, 10:24 AM   #18
S/OS #005

2004 28' Safari S/O
Georgetown , Ontario
Thanks, we kept the slide closed over the weekend & no signs of water. It must be happening when the slide is open. We plan to caulk where we can. Our dealer is sending the proper caulk.

Jacquie
Old 10-18-2011, 08:01 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2001 30' Classic S/O
Helotes , Texas
The carpet was wet in the forward corner and along the track after the slide was out that evening. The previous evening we were in a heavy downpour that lasted for the better part of an hour. I have not had the opportunity to look closely as we are on our way home to Texas. My thought is the the water is somehow collecting under the slide while driving and leaks it out when we extend the slide
Old 10-19-2011, 08:12 AM   #20
NOAZRK

2004 34' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Kutztown , Pennsylvania
I caulked my seams, rivit heads on the roof, awning rail, front window frame, sky light, fantastic fan, air conditioner, put the drip edge on the awning header, and put an additional weather strip around the entire slide frame. With all those repairs in rapid succession, it is hard to determine which repair actually stopped rain water from wetting the carpet. My hunch is that the sky light was leaking and depending on how the trailer was leveled, either the carpet in front or in back of the slide got wet, but never both at the same time.

Hope all this helps you.
Old 10-20-2011, 02:40 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2001 30' Classic S/O
Helotes , Texas
Slide out question

I found the drain tubes you mentioned, I attempted to push the WD40 spray tube in and hit a hard stop on both sides at about 2.5". Is there a bend in it that you are aware of
Old 10-21-2011, 01:32 PM   #22
NOAZRK

2004 34' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Kutztown , Pennsylvania
Hi,

The WD-40 tube is probably too short and not strong enough.

I use about 3 feet of either stranded wire, or perhaps a typical piece of wire used to hang drop ceiling grid. Something that can bend a little but still is strong enough to push through whatever is blocking the tube.

Just before I wrote to you today, I got my wire out again and cleaned out my tubes so I could accurately tell you where the tube goes and what it does. I pushed about 3 feet of wire through the tube, then went inside the trailer. It's easy to see the wire laying on the trailer floor. I had another white spider's nest blocking my front tube again and didn't realize it. Once you see where the hole is inside the trailer, you will understand how the carpet can act like a wick when the tube is blocked up.

This procedure is just good maintenance, however caulking everything on the roof is a must do.

Good Luck!
Old 09-03-2014, 09:39 AM   #23
S/OS #005

2004 28' Safari S/O
Georgetown , Ontario
2004 safari 28" slide out leak at floor

Have carpet & all furniture out, rained hard here yesterday; a 4 inch puddle on floor @ sofa side plus a little wet at bottom of wall carpet in same area. Hope to work on it this weekend but not a clue where the water is entering. My husband has caulked & added an extended piece of rubber gasket on outside of slide but still leaking.
Old 09-03-2014, 09:45 AM   #24
S/OS #005

2004 28' Safari S/O
Georgetown , Ontario
2004 safari 28" slide out leak at floor

Have carpet & all furniture out, rained hard here yesterday; a 4 inch puddle on floor @ sofa side plus a little wet at bottom of wall carpet in same area. Hope to work on it this weekend but not a clue where the water is entering. My husband has caulked & added an extended piece of rubber gasket on outside of slide but still leaking.
As well, we discovered the notorius back storage leak, a huge hole in plywood under the carpet. We discovered this while driving to florida last nov & worked on it down there for 1 week but still wet; have to try to fix this as well.
Old 09-10-2014, 10:27 AM   #25
NOAZRK

2004 34' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Kutztown , Pennsylvania
Well here we go again with new ideas about AS slide leak repair possibilities.

Put the slide all the way out and you will see that the molded roof tucks inside of the side wall, not outside the aluminum side wall. Therefore, it is important to check that the line of caulk is in good condition and complete. Then put the slide all the way in and go inside the AS to look at the caulk line. If your slide was incompletely caulked by the factory, like mine was, you will see that the last 1 or 2 inches of caulk is missing and can only be seen from inside the AS. Apparently, the person on the assembly line caulked the slide when it was in the out position. With the caulk being sticky and wet, the slide WAS NOT put in the closed position to complete the last 2 inches of the caulk job. With an incomplete caulk line, the slide appears to leak at the seal. Slide seals are perhaps being replaced unnecessarily when in fact less then five cents of caulk would stop a leak. I went to the Home Depot and got a roll of 3M clear exterior weather tape and installed it in two pieces for each side of the slide. Two feet with the slide out and one foot (with overlap) with the slide in. Airstream stopped making these slide quite a few year ago and now stories about rotten floors around the slides are becoming more common as the years go by. Don't wait to resolve any evidence of a leak! Check you line of caulk today.

~A. Kenney
Old 09-10-2014, 10:35 AM   #26
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
A kenney,

Not at the trailer to follow directions any chance for a picture?

S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote