Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2015, 08:41 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2002 28' Classic
2018 30' International
Superior , Colorado
Air pressure leak testing

All,

I need to have my 2002 Classic air pressure leak tested. We travel full time and are headed to the southwest. We have a leak or leaks in the back near the bed and one in the front couch area.

Does anyone know a good and reliable place to have the Airstream air pressure leak tested or where to find someone to do it.

And of course would want them to seal any leaks found.

Thanks for the help.

Andrew & Jen
Visioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 09:42 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2006 30' Safari
Divide , Colorado
Give this a look.
SealTech Manufacturing USA | Industry Standard for RV Leak Detection
gwydir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 10:26 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visioneer View Post
All,

I need to have my 2002 Classic air pressure leak tested. We travel full time and are headed to the southwest. We have a leak or leaks in the back near the bed and one in the front couch area.

Does anyone know a good and reliable place to have the Airstream air pressure leak tested or where to find someone to do it.

And of course would want them to seal any leaks found.

Thanks for the help.

Andrew & Jen
Have you tried an Airstream dealer, or good RV repair facility, near you? If any parts of the interior or under-body need to be removed to fix a leak, these may be your best places to start IMO.

Can you see the leaks, or just water coming from the leaks? Have you removed the bed platform plywood and looked underneath? Ditto for the couch area. What evidence of leaks are you seeing?

Even if you are not going to repair the actual leaks personally, if you can gain access to see them, you will be ahead in the game of dealing with a repair shop.

Good luck!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 05:24 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2002 28' Classic
2018 30' International
Superior , Colorado
Leaks

Thank you both for these tips, OTRA15 & gwydir!

I called the Airstream Dealer in Denver, Windish, they do not have the equipment to find the leak other than a water hose and try to look to see where the leak is coming from which sounds like a crazy way to do it.

I will contact Sealtech. My only concern is they will find leaks and would want them repaired and think an Airstream Dealer may be better educated to do this unless they are simple roof sealant leaks . . .

I have removed as much as possible and the leaks especially in the rear are spreading out so no clue as to where they are coming from.

I think a pressure test will be the best bet to find these and any other leaks.

Anyone know a good Airstream Dealer in the Southwest; New Mexico or Arizona?

We are full timers and traveling west now and will be heading southwest next after Colorado (we are in Raleigh today).

Andrew
Visioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 01:52 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1994 34' Limited
colebrook , Connecticut
an air leak test is not as difficult to do as it sounds.i have done both types soap / bubble and ultrasonic. im my opinion the soap bubble is by far the easiest ans most accurate.

to do any pressurized test all you need to do is make windows, vents etc are closed. fill the sinks, shower and toliet drains with water.

if you have vent fans which blow air into the camper turn them on blowing them in.get a box fan that will fit in the door cut a cardboard template that will allow you to seal the fan in the doorway and tape it on. start the fan with it blowing air into the camper and start soaping the seams. You will be amazed at the amount of leaks you will find. some dont amount to much as window seals, but you will definitely find the leaks. Alot cheaper than the dealer even if you have to buy the box fan.

when using the acoustic leak detector it is way too sensitive. you can have a window seal leaking slightly and it will mask a rivet leak right next to it because it is sensing the noise from the leak from the window seal.

mark
malett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 03:59 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Air pressure test in Southwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visioneer View Post
Thank you both for these tips, OTRA15 & gwydir!

I think a pressure test will be the best bet to find these and any other leaks.

Anyone know a good Airstream Dealer in the Southwest; New Mexico or Arizona?

We are full timers and traveling west now and will be heading southwest next after Colorado (we are in Raleigh today).

Andrew
I also am interested in an air pressure leak test in the southwest. I recently discovered wet floor just behind the door on my 25FB. I found and fixed one hole (a screw pulled out from the eyebrow over the door) but I think I am past due finding other possible leaks.

I know Lazydays in Tucson has a big Airstream service operation, but I don't know if they do air pressure tests.
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 12:18 AM   #7
Colo.Dave

2015 27' Flying Cloud
2003 25' Safari
Parker , Colorado
Try Timeless Travel Trailer here in Denver, 303-432-7007
They pressure tested my '03 Safari, and fixed the leaks
Dingram/Colo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 10:11 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
I have talked with Lazydays in Tucson. They say they can do the pressure test.
Old 02-26-2016, 09:03 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Leak test at Lazydays

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquared View Post
I have talked with Lazydays in Tucson. They say they can do the pressure test.
So I had the leak test done at Lazydays in Tucson. It took a while to get it scheduled, and it was rescheduled once due to a technician being sent to a class.

When we checked in, we were told that they have two techs trained for the test, and one was sick, but it still got done on the day scheduled. The tech who did the test was named Dennis, he seemed quite capable and experienced. After doing the testing, he called us out to the shop to show us what he found, which was quite a few different leaks.

Lazydays charged two hours of labor for the test, and two hours of labor for patching the leaks. They also charge extra for washing the trailer after the work is done. They had us wait until the next morning for the wash, to give the sealant time to cure.
Old 02-26-2016, 09:44 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1998 30' Excella 1000
Livingston , Texas
Please post and tell us where your leaks were. Also, any leaks that did not manifest themselves inside? If so, where were they?
Siegmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 09:42 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Leak details

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siegmann View Post
Please post and tell us where your leaks were. Also, any leaks that did not manifest themselves inside? If so, where were they?
The tech created a list but I failed to ask for a copy, so I may not know where all of them are.

I wanted to get the test for two reasons: To find out if the fix I did where a screw pulled out was a good fix (I'm a rookie at this stuff); and to find hidden leaks I don't know about yet.

The tech at Lazydays said there were no leaks up on the roof. Leaks he found:
-All or almost all of the marker lights leaked.
-Both taillights leaked around the oval LED fixtures (not where the base meets the shell).
-There we two leaks at the edge of the entry door trim.
-The trim at the outside edge of one of the vista view windows leaked.
-Also the trim around the front compartment.
-All of the awning brackets that were installed by an independent shop after I bought the trailer. (none of the brackets on the factory-installed awning leaked.)
-Probably a few other places.

We did not find water inside from any of these locations.
Old 02-27-2016, 09:52 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Another thing about the pressure test. When we settled down into the trailer after the test, my wife had a bad allergy attack. We believe the fan introduced a lot of something that bothered her. (We did not find much dust on the hard surfaces however)

So the next time we get this done, if ever, we will take steps before getting the test done. Either empty out the trailer, or bag all the cushions, pillows, etc.
Old 02-28-2016, 10:20 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1998 30' Excella 1000
Livingston , Texas
Thanks. I'm sure many folks will find this info helpful. Interesting note on allergy reaction. Wouldn't have thought of it.
Siegmann is offline   Reply With Quote