Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2010, 12:29 PM   #1
Silver Spud

2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
Sagle , Idaho
Air Conditioner Roof Leak

We picked up our spanking new 23' Flying Cloud last October and no sooner got it home than found a puddle on the floor below the AC. Looked up to see rain water dripping out the AC vents. Took it back to dealer who re-caulked around the AC and thought that fixed it. Last week we drove thru a major rain storm and found the interior soaked again, dripping thru the AC. Anyone had this depressing deluge?

The Silver Spud
BillB44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 01:23 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1972 21' Globetrotter
nc , North Carolina
ac leak

i had one that leaked there one time, was checking and found the mounting bolts had worked lose. take the inside shroud off and check.
rock60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 02:31 PM   #3

1998 34' Excella 1000
1995 36' Classic 36
Spencerville , Maryland
You mean to tell me that you just bought a 2010 AS and were towing it home from the dealer and it has a leak? Take it back and buy yourself something from another dealer!
GREENovaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 04:10 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Oak View , California
I think if that happened to me, I would just sit down on the side of the road and cry.
Then immediately get up and take it back to the dealer....
cclarkego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 04:42 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillB44 View Post
We picked up our spanking new 23' Flying Cloud last October and no sooner got it home than found a puddle on the floor below the AC. Looked up to see rain water dripping out the AC vents. Took it back to dealer who re-caulked around the AC and thought that fixed it. Last week we drove thru a major rain storm and found the interior soaked again, dripping thru the AC. Anyone had this depressing deluge?
I can't believe that your 'dealer' used any type of SEALANT on a Dometic roof air conditioner. THIS IS A BIG NO NO !.

I'm a factory authorized Dometic service center and have never used sealant of any type to mount a roof air, even on Airstreams.

If the drip tray that Airstream uses is not properly positioned on the roof, or the A/C unit is not properly positioned on the drip tray, or the bolts are not tight (the bottom gasket must be compressed to 50% of it's original thickness), then you have a problem THAT NO AMOUNT OF SEALANT WILL CURE!!!!

I suggest that they either do it right or you should find another Airstream dealer that will fix it right.

I would also call Airstream factory service and tell them about your experience. I'm sure they will be quite interested!!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 05:02 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Folsom , California
Sad. I would definatly request another one. And if the dealerships answer is the put sealant on a dometic A/C, I have to agree, you need to find yourself a different dealer. I just put a new one on my 58' flying cloud and the salesman made it VERY clear not to use any sealant. Its a compression foam gasket.
ddstech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 05:48 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Quote:
Could be the drain tube got clogged? What a stupid move on the part of the "pros". I agree, NO FREAKING CAULK!
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 06:02 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited S/O
Greensboro , North Carolina
I had the problem this past year on my 2000. The drip pan under the AC was cracked. AC unit had to be removed and new drip pan installed. Fixed the problem.
WBCCI #4358
tslanier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 06:38 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
I've had both our Coleman roof airs replaced with Dometics, my mechanic explained to me, "we use both our fork lifts when installing them so we don't screw up the pans and seals on Airstreams."
Old 11-17-2010, 06:56 PM   #10
HCR
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Full time traveler
Mounting bolts were very loose on my Ac and I had a leak. Gasket dried out, bolts came loose from travel, or not made tight at factory? Your guess is as good as mine.

Just need a heavy rain here at my winter spot in Tx. to see if the leak has been stopped. My fingers are crossed.
Old 11-18-2010, 02:19 PM   #11
Silver Spud

2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
Sagle , Idaho
Great feedback everyone, thanks a lot. Small clarification: this was October '09 when the leak appeared on first drive home from the AS dealer. Yes, was very depressed. Took it back right away and dealer did, indeed, caulk it. Seemed to solve the problem; they test-hosed it down and no leaks. Fast forward to October of this year (after several miles and trips) driving thru major rain storm: water all over inside of the 'Spud again; even soaking the dinette. Dripping from and thru the AC venting. Depression returns. Called dealer in Spokane (we're in SoCal right now) and he referred us to Airstream. They were good; gave us name of a SoCal Service Center to bring it to, no questions asked. Now--thanks to you all--I'll be armed with more info and can talk semi-intelligently about the AC pan, mounting bolts, foam gasket...and NOT just adding more sealant!

The Silver Spud
Old 11-24-2010, 01:27 PM   #12
Silver Spud

2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
Sagle , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
I can't believe that your 'dealer' used any type of SEALANT on a Dometic roof air conditioner. THIS IS A BIG NO NO !.

I'm a factory authorized Dometic service center and have never used sealant of any type to mount a roof air, even on Airstreams.

If the drip tray that Airstream uses is not properly positioned on the roof, or the A/C unit is not properly positioned on the drip tray, or the bolts are not tight (the bottom gasket must be compressed to 50% of it's original thickness), then you have a problem THAT NO AMOUNT OF SEALANT WILL CURE!!!!

I suggest that they either do it right or you should find another Airstream dealer that will fix it right.

I would also call Airstream factory service and tell them about your experience. I'm sure they will be quite interested!!
I guess caulking on an AS AC is NOT a no-no. Here's the latest word--if anyone cares--on the real low down, courtesy of my AS Dealer:

"Airstream is one of the only manufacturers I know of that installs the A/C unit on a specially made drip pan so the condensation that runs down the outside of most trailers, leaving a dirt trail, does not happen on an Airstream. The proper way to achieve a water tight seal on this pan is with caulking which Airstream does use on the Air Conditioner installation. Dometic does not recommend it on SOB's (Some Other Brand) installations. However the Airstream installation is a bit different and does use caulking. On inquiry to Airstream factory, the Sr. Service rep said they've been caulking the AC pans since he's been at Airstream, over 22 years."

The Silver Spud
Old 11-24-2010, 04:21 PM   #13
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
I guess caulking on an AS AC is NOT a no-no. Here's the latest word--if anyone cares--on the real low down, courtesy of my AS Dealer:

"Airstream is one of the only manufacturers I know of that installs the A/C unit on a specially made drip pan so the condensation that runs down the outside of most trailers, leaving a dirt trail, does not happen on an Airstream. The proper way to achieve a water tight seal on this pan is with caulking which Airstream does use on the Air Conditioner installation. Dometic does not recommend it on SOB's (Some Other Brand) installations. However the Airstream installation is a bit different and does use caulking. On inquiry to Airstream factory, the Sr. Service rep said they've been caulking the AC pans since he's been at Airstream, over 22 years."
I still can't believe that Airstream uses the drain pan for their A/C installations! EVERY OTHER RV MANUFACTURER who uses the Dometic roof airs use their 'drip kit' which consists of 2 cups that are placed under the drains and a hose mechanism that connects the cups to the inner drain tube that they all have. It also includes a second gasket to provide the clearance required for the drain cups which conform nicely to the roofline of an Airstream.

I have installed over 100 roof airs over the years on large diesel motor homes using this technique WITH NO SEALANT and also on a few Airstreams. NONE HAVE EVER LEAKED!!!

And BTW, these are foam gaskets and I have never seen one 'dry out' as a previous poster mentioned.....even in 20 year old units.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 05:00 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Milton , Florida
[QUOTE=lewster;920500]I still can't believe that Airstream uses the drain pan for their A/C installations! EVERY OTHER RV MANUFACTURER who uses the Dometic roof airs use their 'drip kit' which consists of 2 cups that are placed under the drains and a hose mechanism that connects the cups to the inner drain tube that they all have. It also includes a second gasket to provide the clearance required for the drain cups which conform nicely to the roofline of an Airstream.

QUOTE]

There appear to be conflicting opinions concerning the correct method of installing an A/C unit in an AS. Has anyone seen a unit being removed and observed what the factory actually does on this type of installation?
Centramatics wheel balancing & Dill TPMS
Hensley hitch & Maxim skylights
Voyager Camera System WVOS713
2010 FORD F-250, ITBC, 6.8 liter V-10 gas, with VIAIR on-board air system
nickmeloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 05:45 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
Does a Coleman AC have a drip pan/ MINE JUST RUNS OUT DOWN THE ROOF. vERY MESSY. Sal.
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 06:48 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
forgot. Its an 81 Excella II. Sal.
Old 11-25-2010, 09:42 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
We had Coleman's on our 280 and the 310, both had pans and drip tubes. They need to be aired out every season if you're around leaves and pine/fir needles.
Old 11-25-2010, 11:15 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
I just learned this the hard way: if you think your a/c mounting bolts need to be tightened, be extremely careful.....40 to 50 inch/pounds (as recommended by the generic Dometic paperwork that came with my trailer) is WAY too much.......so as usual, Airstreams are different.
fmr.capt.evi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 12:20 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
where would the drain tube come out of the trailer? Sal.
Old 11-25-2010, 12:30 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
I don't want to enter into the "no-caulk" question, but only suggest that the present leak MIGHT not be related to the original leak.

Several years ago we had a severe leak from the A/C unit on our 2002 Bambi. Turned out to be nearly invisible cracks in the rooftop plastic shroud. The cracks originated at the screw holes for the screws holding the shroud on. We replaced the shroud with a new one and no leaks since.

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leaks