Old 12-28-2003, 10:57 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
Advice on leaks

Both starboard and port windows toward the front (one to right of door, one to right of sink) of my '67 Tradewind leak when it rains. The window sill holds the water until I can sop it up. I have replaced both of the vent pipe gaskets per instructions and have caulked around the windows. I can't find where the water is coming in. The windows gaskets seem supple and soft and don't seem to be the problem. Any thoughts on next steps for me? I also caulked the seams on the end cap. I'd appreciate any thoughts. Thanks. Jim

Tin Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2003, 11:04 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , ^
I had the same problem, and after ripping out what was left of my hair, I noticed that there were two rivets missing on my awning supports. Water was just running straight in the holes and cascading through the walls over to the window area. Quite deceiving. Check and re-check all your rivets.

Sneakinup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 04:53 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1993 29' Excella
Jonesboro , Louisiana
Jim,
I personally think you have two separate leaks since both sides of the trailer are involved. I too have had a problem with leaks and have found several. I would take another look at the window seals itself. Remove and replace the caulking at the very top of the windows. Use Vulkem to recaulk with. Then look carefully at the window rubber seals. If all looks well in that area, look for something higher up on the trailer(rivits, stove vents, radio antenna, etc). Have you checked the TV antenna and A/C areas? Are you getting any water on the floor or carpeting? Finding leaks can be a BEAR!

Good Luck,
McKesh mirrors
James Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 07:24 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
I agree with the advice to hunt for missing or damaged rivets. You might be surprised how many marginal rivets you have on the roof. Any rivet which is "popped" up is broken and should be replaced, not just caulked. If you see black/brown rings around some rivets, that is probably aluminum oxide caused by rivet movement (chafing). Those rivets might need replacement as well. Check every rivet on the roof.

Also check around the vents and replace any suspicious caulk or rivets. Check the clearance lights & caulk or replace as needed.

If all else fails, check to see if the water is coming in at the window hinge or higher on the window frame. Remove the screen and get in there with a piece of paper towel while a friend sprays the window with a hose for five minutes. I have a '68 which leaks at the hinges -- and after extensive work plugging about 6 other leaks and re-caulking or re-weatherstripping EVERYTHING, I have concluded that some of the window hinge designs from that period leak and there ain't much you can do about it.

My solution was to buy some other aluminum "eyebrows" you see on 50's trailers and install those. South Jersey RV can get them for you and they are very inexpensive (about $25 to do the entire trailer in my case). The eyebrows keep rainwater from hitting the hinge and thus prevents the leak. If you want to test if this your problem, just put a piece of duct tape firmly over the upper hinge area (outside) all the way across the top of the window frame, and spray it with the hose. That proved it for me.

-- RL
Old 12-29-2003, 11:32 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
66, 67 and 68 windows can leak in several places.

1. They can leak within the hinge. If thats the case, force (shudder) silicone sealer between the two halves of the hinge. Every few minutes, 5 or so, move the window to a different position. Keep doing that, until the silicone sealer cures out. Clean off the surplus from the exterior of the hinge,

2. Make sure that you apply some silicone sealer to the ends of the hinges as well.

3. The gaskets may be shot.

4. If the vista view or stack windows are leaking, then they must be resealed, BUT NOT WITH SILICONE.
Clean the area where the glass goes into the extrusion. Apply "Vulkem" sealer only so that you have a permanent bond between the glass and metal.

5. If water still collects in the bottom of the window, then the leak is elsewhere.

Andy
Old 12-29-2003, 04:12 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
gracias

Thanks all. I hadn't tried some of those ideas so I appreciate the insight. I don't know what a vista view or stack window is though. My 67 has windows that hinge at top and crank up. On port and starboard front side there is also a small non-opening window under the hinged/opening window.

Tin Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 04:28 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Tin Hut.

Stack windows are below an opening window and are fixed. They were used on the front sides.

Vista view window are above an opening window and are also fixed. They were also used above the side front windows an were an option.

Andy
Old 12-30-2003, 01:38 PM   #8

leaks

Our windows leaked. We put a few rows of duct tape over the tops of the windows and no more leaks. It's not pretty but it worked.