Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2004, 06:20 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

A leak in my Bambi

I have a water leak in my Bambi which I believe is activated by driving in a rainstorm.

I looked under my Bambi yesterday and noticed that two of the drains near the fron left side of the camperhave no caulking or gasgets around them to keep out road water, etc.

First does anyone else have drains pipes without caulking around them? Second, if you do, has rain water or road water ever leaked into your camper?

Thanks,

Ed
Ed L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 07:16 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Welcome aboard Ed and Nancy! Glad you found the website that will keep you off all those news sites, blogs, etc. Give your trailer a nickname -- you'll want to be on first name basis with what'll be directing your life!

1st -- more info. Please update your User CP with trailer year/type.

2nd -- more info. Leak where? And is it getting to your floors? Under front window? At trailer rear?

Sealing can fail at the A/C on the roof. Gaskets can age at the plumbing roof vents, ceiling vents, windows, door, battery & fridge access panels... The worst trailer I never bought was a rotted-floor black mold mess from several of the above -- leakage at the front window while driving in rain was only one problem (and it had a rock guard). Are the gaskets resilient or dried & cracked?

I have 5 windows in my basement right now waiting gasket replacement. Zero degrees outside today may drive me to the task. Please let us know more about what you're seeing with your Bambi.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 07:50 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Leak

Bob

My leak was near the sink and under the dinette. We woke to find the rug in that area soaked. We had been driving in the rain all day.

We had the problem looked at in Newburgh NY by the Airstream dealer. At first, it was thought that the leak was from the fresh water tank but later it was determined that this was not the cause.

I would like to know if the drains under the camper are usually sealed, caulked or whatever. It would seem that, since the hole that the drains come out of on my camper are not sealed, this might be cause of the problem.

I have been a member of this forum since before purchasing my Bambi which would mean that we joined in 2002.

Ed
Ed L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 08:30 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Leaks from above run down internal walls and show up in somewhat disconnected places. I'm still not hearing if your Bambi is as new as 2002 or an older unit. If new disregard this -- there is a plumbing system roof vent over the galley. See the Replace original vent pipe cover? thread. Suspect nearby windows too.

I believe I've seen reference to your question -- I think Inland Andy once said that the belly pan should not be sealed off and needs to breathe to permit drying out. Swirling spray can be forceful but I think the strong air movement wouldn't be there once up inside the belly pan -- and certainly not enough to come up to soak your rug above the floor.

How old is your Bambi?

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 05:47 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2003 19' Bambi
Lincoln City , Oregon
Leak possible potable tank fill

My 2003 had such a leak and it was because airstream used a fill tube hose to the potable water tank that did'nt make a good seal and when I filled my tank the sloshing water leaked onto the floor, satuating the dinete and upto the sink area.

The hose looked like dryervent hose but smaller and it was clapped to a barbed fitting. I removed the dinette seat over the tank and discoverd the leak. It could also be comming in from around the potible water fill door if it was not sealed well and the rain was very heavy.

Good luck hope its that simple.
campcollector is offline   Reply With Quote