Old 07-25-2011, 09:23 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
1950 22' Liner
Powhatan , Virginia
A/C leak only with sideways rain

We have a 79 31' sovereign and the original A/C on top. It has the original cover that I have added some aluminum angle to reinforce the older plastic but the height it sits at did not change and there are no holes in it. I have also checked the seal where the A/C mounts to the roof and it looks fine and intact. It doesn't leak under normal circumstances but when it is a very hard, sideways rain, we get some water inside that will either drip into the A/C shroud, then to the floor or like it did this past weekend, run all the way along the center panel and come out right at the end (of course, over my side of the bed). It is only a slight amount of water and I am not overly concerned since we get a hard rain like that rarely. My question is: Is my A/C seal going or does this happen to others with similar year AS and/or A/C? Is this expected with any rooftop A/C?

A/C on top:

Proud to be Air #37137
Bowmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 10:28 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
plano , Texas
Your A/C looks like mine and I had the same problem. Between the small sewer vent and the A/C, it appears that the roof has "settled" due to the weight of the A/C. In my case, it was because the reinforcement for the A/C had broken and caused the roof to sag about 1/2". Since our trailer roofs are rounded, water typically runs off. In this case, I don't think yours is as bad as mine but put some more miles on it and it will be. In my situation, I had broken rivets on the roof to prove the stress. If you put a garden hose in the right spot, you should be able to recreate your leak. Just be careful, to get water in the trailer you will likely get the insulation wet and that will make the trailer musty/moldy. When I removed most of the inside covers of the A/C, I could see the broken member. I removed the A/C and replaced the member. I hope that I am wrong, but it is too similar.

-thomas

Old 07-31-2011, 06:45 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
1950 22' Liner
Powhatan , Virginia
Thanks Thomas. I will have to check the curve when we get back to the A/S. That would be a good reason for the leak.
Proud to be Air #37137
Bowmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 11:47 AM   #4
ALUMINUM OBSSESSION

1993 34' Limited
Hamilton , Ontario
If you take a look at the side of your a/c unit , there doesn't seem to be much of a gap between the a/c unit and the roof panels.
If someone has sealed around the a/c unit body ,the water won't drain out of the drain pan! properly!
If the mounting gasket is muched too thin, less than 1/2 in, the standing water will find another path else where!!! If the a/c mounting seal hasn't been changed in 30 plus years I would be inclined to replace it. The seal isn't very expensive.