Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Leaks - Weatherstrips, Gaskets, Caulks & Sealants
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-25-2016, 07:42 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1999 34' Excella
Cinnaminson , New Jersey
Awesome I'll check that out! How is it holding up? I love the maxim skylights I want them.

Pour d rain last night. I pulled the inside of the sky lights and fans and it's dry there. Back window I thought was the marker lights over the window but apparently not still leaking. Must be the brow caulking itself. I'll be pulling that all out this weekend.

Front window is 1/4 of what it was but still getting some water on the inside of the glass. It's coming right thru the seal caulking on the inside! I'll be going over the outside caulking again this weekend.

As for the dinette? Still at a loss and still searching.... More of that planned for the weekend as well lol.
excellaf350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 05:31 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2003 31' Classic
Terra Alta , West Virginia
My skylight was dry too till I felt some dampness on the fiberglass insulation at on corner. IT never leaked in at the skylight but ran to the door and window beside it. A new Maxim did the trick. I hope to do the hall skylight this year. Great quality from Maxim.
Dave
wvstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 07:36 AM   #23
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by excellaf350 View Post
Awesome I'll check that out! How is it holding up? I love the maxim skylights I want them.

.....the dinette? Still at a loss and still searching.... More of that planned for the weekend as well lol.
Follow instructions precisely. The Hy-tech went on great. Customer support is great!! The roof MUST be clean...I scrubbed down to good paint and repeated 3 times till water came off roof clear. Allow to dry completely!!! The problem is having a dry surface and temp correct. Next time I will "rent" an enclosed storage slot to do the application work.

Also, get some "Captain Tolleys creeping crack cure"... Apply per instructions around window edges.. Good to do in dry shed.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 04:39 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1999 34' Excella
Cinnaminson , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
Follow instructions precisely. The Hy-tech went on great. Customer support is great!! The roof MUST be clean...I scrubbed down to good paint and repeated 3 times till water came off roof clear. Allow to dry completely!!! The problem is having a dry surface and temp correct. Next time I will "rent" an enclosed storage slot to do the application work.

Also, get some "Captain Tolleys creeping crack cure"... Apply per instructions around window edges.. Good to do in dry shed.
my problem with the roof is that its just too cold to coat it right now. It will have to wait till spring. Thanks for the Captain Trolley's tip. never heard of it before but I just ordered some should be here in a few days!

To everyone else thank for all the tips! I have lots of places to look I will be out this weekend searching again. I will find and stop them eventually but they are not making it easy!
excellaf350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 04:57 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Toledo , Ohio
I just seen a post on how to do a pressurized leak test with a box fan do a search for it .
woodfox45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 02:03 PM   #26
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
I used 'leaf blowers'... the hand held type... then soap down the AS...
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 02:29 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

Severna Park , Maryland
Same as another poster, found my problem at the bottom molding right at the door. The rivet closest to the door frame had been been cocked to one side by the installer and that allowed water to siphon through an incredibly small defect. Of course, I found it after months of stripping caulk off roof penetrations, e.g. skylight, vent, antenna, etc., door and windows. I was told long ago by a sheet metal worker that roof flashings can leak through microscopic defects so I was forewarned. Good luck!
sailorii is offline   Reply With Quote