Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2005, 07:34 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

63 Safari Window gaskets

Has anyone replaced the window gaskets in this type of coach? I have looked at the replacement parts and was looking for some dissassembly advice thanks Don
srgntpepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 08:24 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
Hi there, Don,

I've been doing mine, but haven't posted much info about it on my blog. I've got a 61, but we probably both have the same windows. I've made a diagram on window disassembly, that I plan to post soon. My own computer is down, but I'll try to get to it tommorrow.

The toughest part for me was avoiding breaking the glass. After you remove the old gasket, it is very hard to separate the glass from the adhesive strip used to hold it to the frame. We broke the glass on the first frame we tried. The latest one I've worked on had been held in and gooped over with silicone. So, the adhesive strip wasn't a problem there. For my next window, I"m hoping that adhesive remover may be able to seep into the glass and loosen the adhesive strip. Let me know what works for you. Tune into my blog midweek and I'll try to post photos and details.

Mary
Old 05-16-2005, 02:44 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
Don,

I posted a project report on how I've done what I've done so far with the windows. Click the link below to my blog and you'll see it there. I wouldn't say I'm doing everything is exactly right, but I'll edit it as I work out the kinks. Right now, the pictures and diagrams should help you.

Mary
Old 05-16-2005, 05:58 PM   #4
Remember Burma Shave!

2006 19' Safari
2000 25' Safari
1985 25' Sovereign
Fort Myers , SW.Florida
Mary,

Whoops, I just got slammed ... Just told
Quote:
"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to fireflyinva again."
Well, anyway ... my compliments on your excellent blog.
NORM #3305

"... there is nothing you can't fix yourself ...
... if you're handy ...
... with a check book! ..."
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 12:49 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
Just a little update. I found out that one company (Blaine Hardware) that makes replacement window operators has its factory about 90 miles outside of Washington DC. Better yet, Blaine has a retail shop in Silver Spring (a DC suburb), right off Georgia Avenue. I really wonder how RJ Dial (who posted a link on his website about this) ever found them from California is!

I called them and they sound very helpful. They have the operators, believe they have the sliders as well the lockdown clamps. They said that if I bring them in, they'd be happy to identify the replacements and give me pointers for reassembly.

One problem remains. They are only opened when I have to work. So, I'm hoping to snag a bit of time off to head out there. And, darnitall, while I'm in Silver Spring, I can also go to IKEA! Whooo hoooo!

Mary
Old 05-21-2005, 06:51 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
The best laid plans...

I managed to get a half day off yesterday. It was raining cats and dogs, but I went ahead and jumped into my car at 1 pm and headed off to Silver Spring armed with operators, clamps, slider and frame. There was a lowspot flooded on the beltway, so traffic was very slow until I cleared that spot after a half hour. Then traffic accellerated, so I sped up with it...and started hearing a banging noise under my car.

I pulled into the breakdown lane (fortunately, traffic was still backed up and passing me slowly) and looked under the hood. My serpentine belt was half flaked off. Looking ahead, I realized I was 1/2 mile from the River Road exit--so I slowly drove the car there. Just as I got to the exit ramp, I heard the belt finally break. I parked in, put on my flashers, raised my hood and tried to flag someone down to call #77.

Result: it took 1/2 hour to get someone to stop and call for help (can you believe that????), it took another hour and a half to get the tow truck. By this time, it was rush hour, so it took 45 minutes to get to my repair shop (which was only 10 miles away), then I walked home, finally getting back at 5:30, in time to make our dinner reservations, but $128 poorer.

By the way, the tow truck operator knows "Billy" Blaine real well. Says to drop his name if I ever do actually make it to Silver Spring!

Mary
Old 05-21-2005, 09:08 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Cannot start a new thread, so piggybacking on this one: in response to a PM sent to me, I am asking the forum for suggestions on removing duct tape sticky residue from AS exterior skin. Various solutions have been tried but none have worked. Road Tar Remover? Other ideas to take it off but not hurt the aluminum? Thanks, and I'll pass on your ideas. ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 09:16 AM   #8
Remember Burma Shave!

2006 19' Safari
2000 25' Safari
1985 25' Sovereign
Fort Myers , SW.Florida
Rivet Re: Tape residue

Personally I use mineral spirits and elbow grease. Its difficult but effective.

On real tough spots I have used a plastic scraper with cloth wrap saturated with the spirits.

The adhesive could locally pull the clear coat in certain circumstances. Be careful.

Duct tape and others like standard masking tape usually leaves its residue after moisture hits it. Try 3M 2080 Blue fine line tape in the future. I find that it will tolerate the moisture better and longer.
NORM #3305

"... there is nothing you can't fix yourself ...
... if you're handy ...
... with a check book! ..."
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 03:39 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
Have you tried adhesive remover? Many folks swear by 3m Adhesive Remover, I've only been able to find Kleen Strip Adhesive Remover. It's worked on most of the stuff I"ve thrown at it.

Mary