Old 04-26-2011, 10:39 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1954 25' Cruiser
Nashville , Tennessee
Confused

I am glad you have found many of your leaks. I have a '54 Cruiser with all the Hehr windows. I am a little confused/concerned because I haven't witness any leaks with mine and I have barely caulked anything yet, since I am in the middle of polishing. I installed new glass and weather stripping on the outside as you did, and i agree that exterior window seal is probably not a good defense against water. But I didn't believe that it needed to be...

My concern is that I thought that the window drain caps did most of the work in keeping water out. Did you actually vulkem the window pane to the window frame? Inside the keeps? A PO did this to a mangled window, and I found it a rather crude fix. It seems that originally something was working without such a seal.

Please excuse my rambling. After reading this I just assume that all of my windows should be leaking!! I have had the windows wide open in hard rain with no leaks so I am surprised to read about water coming in around the glass.

Yet I have only had my 54 for a few months...guess there are plenty of time for leaks!

Old 04-26-2011, 11:58 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Hi Andrew,
I assume the windows that you have in your '54 are the Hehr Standard Windows. It's been my experience that these don't leak or leak very little. Why? The glass in Hehr Standard is mounted in the front assembly which is raised and seals against the backframe gasket. Any water that gets in will simply drip out the bottom since this seal isn't watertight.

The Hehr windows in my '58 that were leaking were NOT Hehr Standard windows. They are a different design entirely, as I explained in my earlier post. The window frames in the windows that were leaking are hard riveted to the body of my Overlander. Any water that gets in will leak inside the trailer. I don't think you have any of these type of Hehr windows in your '54.

The pics show these hard riveted windows. The first is a close up of one of the three I have on my '58. The other pic shows all of the windows on the streetside. The first and third windows are these hard riveted windows, while the others that open are the Hehr Standard windows. They don't leak at all.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P4230295.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	196.1 KB
ID:	128193   Click image for larger version

Name:	P4250009.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	371.9 KB
ID:	128194  

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
http://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 01:00 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Marysville , Washington
Food Coloring for leaks

I used food coloring to help identify the source of leaks. A red drip on the inside meant that water was coming in from where the red was placed on the outside. Blue drops over there meant that water was entering from where the blue was placed. In some cases it took a few days of rain for the color to travel but now I know where my leaks are. Maybe when it stops raining I can fix 'em.
Old 04-26-2011, 01:26 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1954 25' Cruiser
Nashville , Tennessee
Makes perfect sense

Mike,

That makes perfect sense. I didn't understand the differences between the Hehr riveted directly to the body, and the Hehr standard. I have spent a good while building and rebuilding the standard ones on mine, so when I saw a few pictures of your non-standard I was utterly confused. Your comments confirm my understanding of the water escape in the standard.

You learn something new every day!

Thanks
Old 04-26-2011, 02:03 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Done View Post
Maybe when it stops raining I can fix 'em.
Not likely when you live in Washington State.

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
http://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 03:40 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
I'm starting to win the leak battle. I am striving for a "real leak-less" trailer. All I have done so far is completely take the trailer apart and reseal every seam, window, etc. I shouldn't say reseal because almost every part I've taken apart was lacking any sealant from the start. I don't quite understand why Airstream doesn't assemble wet with sealant. Maybe they are in denial.