Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-15-2012, 01:57 PM   #1

2012 16' Sport
Gainesville , Florida
2012 leaking from fridge vent

Has anyone had this same problem, I have been trying to get it repaired and the dealer seems to feel its normal?!?!?
swissdrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 02:17 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
We will need a little more information...

What and where exactly?

If you are seeing water from a small tube hanging loose in the area behind the fridge, it is normal. The tube is a drain for a condensation tray in the refrigerator. This tube should be routed to the outside of the trailer via the openings in the exterior cover of the refer compartment

Regards,

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 05:40 AM   #3

2012 16' Sport
Gainesville , Florida
The water comes in everytime it rains, the harder the rain more water, and I am talking about three beach towels to soak it up!, during a good long hard rain. The water first appears from the corner edge of cabinet bellow fridge at the table seat. I am trying to see if this could be a design flaw, has this been a problem for others. I am heart broken after spending the money to buy new and finally get a camper I have dreampt about for years, what I thought was the best and have this issue! Thanks if inquiring.
Frustrated and feeling helpless
Old 02-16-2012, 07:12 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by swissdrb View Post
The water comes in everytime it rains, the harder the rain more water, and I am talking about three beach towels to soak it up!, during a good long hard rain. The water first appears from the corner edge of cabinet bellow fridge at the table seat. I am trying to see if this could be a design flaw, has this been a problem for others. I am heart broken after spending the money to buy new and finally get a camper I have dreampt about for years, what I thought was the best and have this issue! Thanks if inquiring.
Frustrated and feeling helpless
What you describe is absolutely not normal and needs to be repaired. If left like this long term you will have serious floor rot. Contact Airstream Customer Service in Jackson Center directly if you are unable to get satisfaction from the dealer.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:40 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB International
Greensboro , North Carolina
We had a similar problem and eventually discovered, when we took it to the Airstream factory, that the refrigerator pan had been installed incorrectly. It was installed at an angle, thus the water was leaking from the fridge onto the floor. We did not have a problem with rain, so this could be something else.
donna01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:45 AM   #6
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Welcome Aboard....

swiss,

Understand your frustration....

Have they checked the fridge roof vent?

Not sure where there positioned on your Bambi, but our black tank vent and fridge vent were right next to each other on the roof.
The BT vent leaked right from the Factory,(self repaired before it became a problem), you can see the fridge vent behind it in the one photo.

You would do well to check them both.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SOLAR PANELS; ROOF LEAK 011.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	619.9 KB
ID:	151232  
Attached Images

Old 02-17-2012, 05:23 AM   #7

2012 16' Sport
Gainesville , Florida
thankyou for all your responses, I will mention these possible issues to the dealer, cause they seem to need some help!
Old 02-23-2012, 09:18 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Sparks , Nevada
Wow, after 60 years they still can't make leak proof airstreams!
My 1966 Caravelle is still leaking during a hard rain down from I think the fridge vent inside the wall and pooling at the door. Had to replace the floor by the door and under the fridge. Still have not nailed down the leak...still looking. But bought a cover to help in the meantime.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to seal the fridge vent, or should I put on s different kind of vent?
awolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 05:31 AM   #9
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Thumbs up

"Does anyone have a suggestion on how to seal the fridge vent, or should I put on s different kind of vent?"

awolff,

Do you have a pic?, here's a thread with some info that should help.

Some sealant I have used....Sika & PL on the roof.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	VTS-256-2.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	12.5 KB
ID:	151840  
Attached Images

Old 02-25-2012, 02:19 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Sparks , Nevada
Thanks very much Bob, I'll look for those products and give them a try. Do you recommend removing the vent and re-installing or just caulk around it again, cuz we tried adding caulk, but it still seems to leak a bit. I wonder if it's leaking from "inside" the vent. It's a wierd looking one, doesn't look like the vents I see on most trailers. If I can figure out how, I'll post a picture of it.
awolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 02:54 PM   #11
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Thumbs up

No problem...

If you scroll down from the reply window to "manage attachments" you can choose a pic from your files to include in your post.

If the fridge vent cover is riveted on like mine, (the silver thingy behind the hole in the pic), you could try sealing around it with the Sika first, just to confirm the leak, no sense drilling if you don't have to. You can just see some of the factory "goop" under the cover, it will have to come off to seal around the opening completely though.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SOLAR PANELS; ROOF LEAK 019.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	316.8 KB
ID:	151934  
Old 02-25-2012, 06:02 PM   #12

upstate , New York
Make sure you are absolutely level. This summer my '07 bambi leaked from the fridge vents, although they are on the side of the coach. I was only a couple degrees off level as I was in a hurry to set up camp, three soaked towels later I leveled her in the storm and all seemed to be good after that...
prop66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 06:13 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Take it from me - a victim of the new trailer leak club and floor repair party - you will want to document this very carefully. If there was that much water then this is not a new leak but one that was there for a while. It HAS caused damage, it WILL be an issue later on, you MUST contact Jackson Center and start a log on who, when, where, why, what and whatever is done or said to you. Do not let them off the hook and go past your 2 year warrenty period only to find more issues. You bought new, not damaged and therefore you should expect some reasonable satisfaction in return. Pictures and your DOCUMENTATION will go a long way to protecting you. Fixing the leak is a start, damage to your floor should be determined, mold growth in your insulation should be addressed.

Good Luck, and DOCUMENT NOW.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 12:10 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2008 16' International
Seattle , Washington
help - me too on 16' with side vent

swissdrb - what was your final resolution? Having the same issue tonight in heavy rain in Seattle in our 2008 16'. My guess is the water is coming in the fridge vent (on the side on the 16'). On top of it that side of the trailer is higher than the curb side. (Parked on the street). Will try to level and see if it helps.

prop66 - good suggestion on the level. trying now to see if it will help.

Interestingly didn't happen in heavy rain in same spot a week ago.

Thanks!

BC
bc_seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 12:46 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2008 16' International
Seattle , Washington
picture

Picture:

Old 05-04-2014, 04:53 AM   #16
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Looking above the fridge vent is that! "L" shaped diverted riveted to the roof. The purpose of this is to direct water away from the fridge vent opening. With the plumbing vent right there it appears the diverter might not be diverting at all and in reality channeling water down the hole instead! On my classic during a decent rain, the amount of water in this area is tremendous! The diverter on mine is way longer therefore moving the water farther from the fridge vent.
I also level mine noss up slightly.
The water finds its way to the back of the trailer via the awning gutters etc.
I would make sure that diverter is longer to get past the vent pipe!
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 07:14 AM   #17
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by bc_seattle View Post
swissdrb - what was your final resolution? Having the same issue tonight in heavy rain in Seattle in our 2008 16'. My guess is the water is coming in the fridge vent (on the side on the 16'). On top of it that side of the trailer is higher than the curb side. (Parked on the street). Will try to level and see if it helps.

prop66 - good suggestion on the level. trying now to see if it will help.

Interestingly didn't happen in heavy rain in same spot a week ago.

Thanks!

BC
That is directly from having the fridge side of the trailer higher than the off-fridge side. I had noticed this effect on many RVs, not just Airstreams. The easiest fix is to make sure that side is the "low side", although you can still get wind-driven rain in the opening.
Old 05-04-2014, 11:42 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2008 16' International
Seattle , Washington
true-that

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
That is directly from having the fridge side of the trailer higher than the off-fridge side. I had noticed this effect on many RVs, not just Airstreams. The easiest fix is to make sure that side is the "low side", although you can still get wind-driven rain in the opening.
overlander63 - you speak the truth (at least on a 16' with the fridge-vent on the side). Leveled the trailer, fridge/street side was high. Rain continued. Leaking stopped. Lesson learned. Thanks!

BC
Old 01-25-2017, 06:28 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
(Reviving an old thread) We camped near the lagoon in Pensacola. Great campground by the way. Big Lagoon SP.
A very nasty and strong storm came in off the water with nearby tornadoes. The trailer was mostly dry inside throughout the night. Then the wind changed direction and the water started pouring out from under the fridge. The vent was the culprit, but not sure why. It has been recently sealed and the cover was replaced and also sealed. Is this just an anomaly or do I need to remove the vent cover and re-seal the vent itself?
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote