Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2008, 02:42 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2011 28' International
Rock Hill , South Carolina
2005 Int'l leaking around skylight

My 2005 International is leaking around the skylight. I assume I just need to get up on top, pull off the current sealant and replace it. Any recommendations on what product to use (sealant)? Any other thoughts?
jsprad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 03:23 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsprad
My 2005 International is leaking around the skylight. I assume I just need to get up on top, pull off the current sealant and replace it. Any recommendations on what product to use (sealant)? Any other thoughts?
I would remove the external sealant, remove the skylite, remove ALL of the old bedding sealant, lay a nice ribbon of butyl tape under the skylite.... making sue that it is under all of the screw holes, replace and secure it, then lay a very heavy layer of Dicor self-leveling sealant over the seam and all screw heads. This should do a proper job of re-sealing and should eliminate all leaks from the skylite.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 03:39 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2011 28' International
Thanks lewster!
Old 01-10-2008, 06:53 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Your welcome!
Old 01-10-2008, 09:54 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Colorado Springs , Colorado
When ours leaked it was actually a cracked skylight. Ours was still under warranty and the dealer said it was a common occurrence.
-Ken
Old 01-10-2008, 10:20 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Chandler , Arizona
curious where the leak first appeared inside? Mine is possibly same source or it could be the fantastic fan next to it....the leak point found inside was just under the cabinets and just under the systems sensor monitor. they line up directly with those roof points. Lew you coming this way soon?
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."- Mark Twain

AZstreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 05:00 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZstreamin
curious where the leak first appeared inside? Mine is possibly same source or it could be the fantastic fan next to it....the leak point found inside was just under the cabinets and just under the systems sensor monitor. they line up directly with those roof points. Lew you coming this way soon?
Early June
Old 01-11-2008, 07:33 AM   #8

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I have two skylights on my Classic. Both have leaked. The first was repaired under warranty and was a remove and reinstall issue. The other skylight ended up being a crack and had to be replaced. Unfortunately that leak developed about 8 months after the warranty ended.

Our dealer's service guy felt that the cracked one probably stemed from installation issues. I appealed to JC to see if they would share in covering some of the cost but was turned down.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 05:24 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2011 28' International
Thanks for the replies. I was out of town for the weekend with my Boy Scouts and just catching up. I will take a close look at the skylight before proceeding. I have found water dripping at a couple of different spots around the inside edges of the skylight.
Old 01-13-2008, 06:56 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Thanks for the replies. I was out of town for the weekend with my Boy Scouts and just catching up. I will take a close look at the skylight before proceeding. I have found water dripping at a couple of different spots around the inside edges of the skylight.
IIRC, the infamous mr. kevbo (he's been pretty silent around here as of late) told me at the now infamous Ballon Fiesta this past October, that he had simlar problems with his '05 25CCD. The problem was traced to poor installation of the skylite.
Old 02-03-2008, 09:52 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZstreamin
Sitting in a rain storm in Malibu and the leak that was coming under the cabinets by the system monitor from the day I bought it in October is now sourced at the skylight. I am on a angle that is stressing the shell, and leaning curbside looking forward. It is dripping on from the skyight for the first time. Loks like it has to be removed and resealed. Could have leaked on the new mac left on the dinette, I am lucky.
safari 28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 02:02 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Evergreen , Colorado
On mine it was a screw that was torqed to tight and created a slight crack that spider webed after a while. You might check before removing the seal.
Allen H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 02:26 PM   #13
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen H
On mine it was a screw that was torqed to tight and created a slight crack that spider webed after a while...
actually that's EXACTLY how they arrive at the correct torque...

tighten the screws until it CRACKS!

then apply goop over the cracks and screw heads.

i think that is actually the 'build to quality standard' that is now used.

what is more troublesome is that IF you wanna have your unit built WITHOUT the now standard/upcharged, 1 or 2 leaking skylights...

u gotta pay EXTRA to not have them cut a hole in the roof...

can anyone imagine these current skylights lasting more that a few years...

without leaks, repairs and ultimately replacements?

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 09:39 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
Well it is funny how somethng like this makes my day as at least I now have something to fix!! I noticed today rain water was trapped around the outside edge of the skylight. I could push up on it around the seal and water came on my fingers.. On the road for another 3k miles and hate to take time to fix, rather a local dealer do the work. Any ideas on a temp or possible perm fix??
safari 28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 10:11 PM   #15
Hondo was a great cat

2005 28' International CCD
Salt Lake City , Utah
They do leak...

When we bought our 28 foot Intl' (05), we got it used. I poked around the sky light at the dealer and it was squishy. (Hey, that word didn't come up in spell check: Squishy) anyway, they took it apart and there was mold galore in the insulation. Being a health care guy, I said: Hey, thats mold. So they re sealed the sky light and covered the mold back up. I guess it went away but the thing doesnt leak anymore. I am not a big fan of the fans though. They seam to be trying to open or close when I want them to close or open.

Oh well, it is what it is, please let me know how the fix holds up.

Thanks,

John

Quote:

Aunt Gladys, 28FT, Intl'
"Man, it's hot here, is the heat on?"
jnerges is offline   Reply With Quote