Old 06-06-2009, 06:53 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2001 19' Bambi
Orange Park , Florida
Question 2001 Bambi Leak

Gentlemen:

I just noticed a leak in our 2001 Bambi. It is behind the door jamb and forward of the outer flip-open fridge panels. Some water has entered and saturated a few boards of the laminate flooring that the previous owners had installed.

The boards that are wet run under the cupboard that is to the left of the fridge looking from inside, so at first I thought a can or bottle of something exploded, but no such luck. I opened the cabinet under the fridge and popped out the back of the cabinet to access the wheel well, and just forward of the wheel well up against the skin of the trailer it was damp.

Also there are a few drops of water under the AC. This may or may not be related. It has happened with some torrential rains before, never more than a few drops except the time some mud daubers plugged the AC condensate pipe.

Now we have had 20" of rain in the past three weeks in Orange Park, Florida and I know if the wind blows the rain just right anything will leak, but it is time to run this problem down.

I do not keep the trailer garaged but I wax the top 2x per year and repaint the seals once per year.

Now we have a dehumidifier, so the damage will I think be minimal. I just found out that my wife has known about this for over a week and just got around to telling me, after I said "Honey the trailer has a leak." No musty smell, very little dampness, so the dehumidifier has done its job.

As for my wife, she has had a lot on her mind, so this will be a temporary hiccup in our marital bliss, nothing more. Besides, I have a heavy bag to which I attribute a major share of the credit for us being married 20 years.

Now I suspect a few things:

1) A leak in the top curb side either related to the TV antenna or AC unit that has run down.

2) A leak from the awning assembly mount.

3) A leak lower down that has run in. I saw that the electrical outlet beneath the fridge on the outside of the trailer has a foam seal. It sits below the trim, and incidentally below the floor line, but not much below. Water is often wicked uphill, especially if it contacts insulation.

4) The bottle brush shrub that is close to the trailer may have wicked water in somehow but I doubt it.

OK, now the unknowns:

1) How best to troubleshoot this leak, and

2) How to take apart the fridge cabinet.

Any posts would be appreciated!

Thanks,

James

Old 06-06-2009, 07:39 PM   #2
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Well, you can do it the old fashion way and take a hose touching each area you mentioned individually until you see the water appear, or you can take the unit to an RV service center that has a Sealtech machine that actually creates a positive airflow within the trailer. This method will find most leaks and may solve your issue faster with less additional water to the interior, though it will carry a technician and service fee.

You can read more about how the Sealtech machine works here:

http://www.rvleaks.com/

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 08:37 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
We had a leak similar to the one you describe which turned out to be water dripping from the outer fridge compartment doors directly into the compartment then finding its way down to the floor.

If this is your problem a really good indicator is the amount of water you get in your fridge compartment after a heavy storm - we had lots.

I did a few things to deal with this:
  • fabricated a drip rail for the upper frame of the upper door to prevent water from dripping directly into the compartment - this was not hard to do and it looks great.
  • filled and sealed a gap in the lower frame of the lower door that had also allowed collected rain water to drip directly into the compartment - also not hard to do.
  • re-caulked the drain into the wheel well to eliminate a 1/4 inch "dam" from the caulking bead - which did not allow any collected water to drain until it had ponded to the same level.
  • pulled the fridge and re-caulked the space between the bottom of the fridge and the floor of the compartment - this was a bit of a chore and in hindsight might have been overkill.
  • sealed the space between the fridge and the compartment walls with foam pipe insulation - just a friction fit - easy to trim and insert.
The fridge compartment used to be swimming in water after a heavy rain - now it may still show a little moisture but that is pretty much the extend of it - no "ponding" like there was.

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 09:29 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2001 19' Bambi
Orange Park , Florida
I'll try the easy fixes first

Ranger Jay:

Thank you (and everyone else) for the quick reply. Keep the ideas coming.

Our Bambi looks identical, except for the power cord, and a few more dings.

I can implement the u-channel fix tomorrow. I did not notice any excessive water in the fridge compartment though. I will take another look tonight. What the heck, it's easy to do, I suspect I can get it done in an hour.

How did you fasten the channel to the trailer?

I'll just leave things "apart" inside, rip out the bad floorboards, get some replacements for when we get the thing fixed, and will also try to see if the H2O comes from above (I hope not, though I suspect the A/C seal needs to be replaced.)

By the way, great photographs, and great dog!

James
Old 06-06-2009, 10:12 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
We had water in a similar location in our 2002 Bambi and our source was a cracked AC shroud which let water drip down into the interior part of the AC. From there it dripped onto the floor.

We found it by removing the inside AC cover and feeling around the frame which was holding water. Before checking in this fashion, make sure you are disconnected from 120V shore power!
Old 06-06-2009, 10:12 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
If you haven't noticed a lot of water in the fridge compartment then you may still be looking for your leak - but if you use Silvertwinkies suggestion of the garden hose above the outer compartment doors you should know quickly - I could actually see ours dripping (running) into the compartment.

Here's some pictures from our fix. Sorry for the snow - I had taken these pictures during winter for someone else.

The drip rail fits comfortably on top of the hinge, I used aluminum rivets to attach it then caulked the top.

Good luck,

Jay
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2310.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	177.4 KB
ID:	81766   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2308.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	169.5 KB
ID:	81767  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2309.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	188.9 KB
ID:	81768   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2317.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	185.7 KB
ID:	81769  

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 10:31 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2001 19' Bambi
Orange Park , Florida
Tim:

Where was the AC shroud cracked? Ours cracked near the screws but I fixed it with epoxy and super-duper black duct/roofing tape which I ran around the bottom 1" of the shroud. It looks like black factory trim.

James
Old 06-07-2009, 01:26 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
James,

Our cracks were darned difficult to see and extended up into the body of the shroud. After I found them, sealing with duct-tape showed that they were the problem. The real solution was buying a new shroud which has not cracked yet. The water inside the AC was the stimulus for looking for the cracks. We had not had the AC on for months and there was no way that water could have come from anyplace other than somewhere above the internal parts of the AC. I also checked the roof and caulking around the external part of the AC.

Tim