Old 01-31-2010, 08:24 PM   #1
1987 Excella 32'

1987 32' Excella
Paso Robles , California
1987 airstream excella (leaking in bathroom)

It has been raining alot and my carpet was soaked and underneath the cabinets, i pulled all the carpet out and drying out...i took off the vent things on top and am replacing that but nothing wrong with the gasket...i checked on side of trailer , i think my waterheater or whatever that is , see pic, the cardboard around it is soaked....i checked the top of the trailer very good and i do not see anything wrong up there...i have never used my trailer yet but i am going to have to find where the leak is...i have had it for awhile now and it never leaked.....i am checking all windows and everything else that is suggested....Debra
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1-31-2010 4-56-50 AM_0013.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	204.7 KB
ID:	95218   Click image for larger version

Name:	1-31-2010 5-23-00 AM_0015.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	249.6 KB
ID:	95219  

Click image for larger version

Name:	1-29-2010 6-33-28 AM_0007.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	211.0 KB
ID:	95220   Click image for larger version

Name:	1-29-2010 6-34-31 AM_0010.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	162.6 KB
ID:	95221  

Old 01-31-2010, 08:48 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 27
Lacey , Washington
Debra,
I and my wife have a 78 Argosy. We are rehabing it and took the gold rug out to be replaced with limolium "floating flooring" that looks like oak. When I took the rug out then I noticed the leaking areas. I have had to caulk all the seams around the trailer and I cut the leaking down significantly but there are still three small spots that is still leaking. We live in WA st (western side) so the rain is pretty much constant during the winter and early spring so I always have a test subject after I do more caulking and check after the rain. The Argosy is naturally painted so I do not need to worry about a colorless caulk. I did notice that there is current link to a product to re-caulk the seams. Good luck on your quest to find the leak.
jjairstream@gmail.com

Old 01-31-2010, 08:52 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1987 29' Sovereign
Sparta , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to wingfoot321
Welcome to the forum.

I have an 1987 Sovereign 29ft.

I have had three issues since purchasing mine in 2003.

1) There is a toilet water control valve that went bad that is actuated by the foot pedal. Replacement is approx $30. If it turns out to be the valve, also replace the gasket between the toilet and the tank at the same time. Another $30 while the toilet is out.

2) My water tank developed a pin hole (thought about a big screw to plug it but no. ) I purchased one from a vendor on ebay that shipped me one for $240 UPS. There was not sufficient room to replace mine with the gas / elec unit so be careful if it turns out to be the tank. New tanks come wrapped in styrofoam and can be difficult to change without damaging the insulation.

3) My bypass valve in your photo developed a crack in one of the fittings. The plastic water lines you show are vanguard plastic (something like pex) and the whole trailer is plumbed with hard plastic fittings (elbows, tees, etc. with compression bands to hold them) The fittings are the weak link in the plumbing. Can't take the compression for ever and start to crack.

I would dry the trailer out with an elec heater and then start pressurizing to see what happens & where.

I have had no leaks roof wise in the bathroom.

Best of luck.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:12 PM   #4
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Citrus Heights , California
Debra;
I have the same trailer as you.The seal around the water heater is probably wasted. As water sheets down the trailer side it flows onto the lip of the water heater located just aft of your toilet. The water goes into the trailer. open up the compartment door just aft of the water heater and you will find more moisture. put a light with about a 75 watt bulb in the compartment area and leave it on for a while, also turn on a small fan directed at the wet areas. I used a Dap product I got at Lowes with great success. Butyl flex gutter seal. The area needs to be dry when you apply this stickey stuff. It doesn't have to rain much for this are to become soaked if the seal is bad.

The real fix is to remove the water heater and reseal the opening in trailer.

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 09:17 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by browniiis88 View Post
It has been raining alot and my carpet was soaked and underneath the cabinets, i pulled all the carpet out and drying out...i took off the vent things on top and am replacing that but nothing wrong with the gasket...i checked on side of trailer , i think my waterheater or whatever that is , see pic, the cardboard around it is soaked....i checked the top of the trailer very good and i do not see anything wrong up there...i have never used my trailer yet but i am going to have to find where the leak is...i have had it for awhile now and it never leaked.....i am checking all windows and everything else that is suggested....Debra
The leak can be from the toilet water control valve, or that vent pipe cover gasket.

When you find screening material over the black pipe, that the gasket holds in place, the water will go around the outside of the black pipe, since the gasket does not make a positive seal.

That center hole in that gasket, should have a bead of Vulkem sealer starting at that hole, forced thru the screening and on to the black pipe.

If not, it will leak.

From your photo, it appears that no sealer was ever used.

Andy
Old 01-31-2010, 09:38 PM   #6
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
That center hole in that gasket, should have a bead of Vulkem sealer starting at that hole, forced thru the screening and on to the black pipe.

If not, it will leak.

From your photo, it appears that no sealer was ever used.

Andy
Well jeepers, I've been reading here for a while now, and this is the first mention of the needed Vulkem over the screening I've heard.

Is this a new procedure you've found, Andy, or did I miss a mention of it on on your site where you sell those parts?
Old 01-31-2010, 09:46 PM   #7
1987 Excella 32'

1987 32' Excella
Paso Robles , California
Yes, you are correct, there was no sealer anywhere except outside of the vent cover. I will make sure i do the job correct when i put it back with new screen and gaskets....thank you so much! Debra
Old 01-31-2010, 09:53 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Yes, you are correct, there was no sealer anywhere except outside of the vent cover. I will make sure i do the job correct when i put it back with new screen and gaskets....thank you so much! Debra
Your welcome.

So many things that cause problems with Airstreams, are really easy to fix, once a person has the answer.

Welcome to Airstreaming, and to some of it's mysteries.

Andy
Old 01-31-2010, 10:00 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Well jeepers, I've been reading here for a while now, and this is the first mention of the needed Vulkem over the screening I've heard.

Is this a new procedure you've found, Andy, or did I miss a mention of it on on your site where you sell those parts?
Aage.

No, you didn't miss anything. That info is not in our web site.

But Aage, that info has been posted many times, on this Forums.

The sewer vent pipe cover, cannot squeeze the fiberglass screening tight enough around the black pipe, so that it won't leak. But the proper application of the Vulkem will prevent it.

This is not something new, as I have been doing that little sealing job, for just about 40 years, at this point.

Andy
Old 01-31-2010, 10:33 PM   #10
1987 Excella 32'

1987 32' Excella
Paso Robles , California
Doorgunner, you are right about the water going in on the side, i am going to check my waterheater tomorrow and get my manual out and start studying. I actually think the water heater area is the problem now......I noticed today that the little vents on that cover go right into the trailer or waterheater, this has got to be some of my problem since this is where the leak is...thanks again
Old 02-01-2010, 06:51 PM   #11
1987 Excella 32'

1987 32' Excella
Paso Robles , California
1987 airstream excella leaks (continued)

So today i go to Sky River (they sale airstreams) looking for new rubber seals for the top.....at first they said they could not really help me because they needed the vin number or serial number to my trailer, what the______.! I finally got some help when i told her about this site and Andy from the RV place down south, she then got a man from the back to help me....he told me to reuse my old seals and to use dicor because nothing was wrong with them......he never heard of vulkem and they do not use that on their airstreams when they fix them....he never heard of the tempro? Am i getting good advice here or what??? Is it because I am a woman??? Debra
Old 02-01-2010, 08:08 PM   #12
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
So today i go to Sky River (they sale airstreams) looking for new rubber seals for the top.....at first they said they could not really help me because they needed the vin number or serial number to my trailer, what the______.! I finally got some help when i told her about this site and Andy from the RV place down south, she then got a man from the back to help me....he told me to reuse my old seals and to use dicor because nothing was wrong with them......he never heard of vulkem and they do not use that on their airstreams when they fix them....he never heard of the tempro? Am i getting good advice here or what??? Is it because I am a woman??? Debra
Debra.

I think that dealer, or some of their people, are out of touch.

Many other dealers can help you, with the proper parts, pronto.

Andy
Old 02-01-2010, 09:51 PM   #13
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post

But Aage, that info has been posted many times, on this Forums.
I looked again for it on here. Any chance you can point to me a thread that shows it?
Old 02-02-2010, 12:11 AM   #14
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
I looked again for it on here. Any chance you can point to me a thread that shows it?
Aage.

What is the question you have about using Vulkem around the sewer vent pipe gasket?

Andy