Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2010, 12:00 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
Austin , Texas
Which Fantastic Vent did you install?

Trying to decide if the thermostat and rain sensor are really worth the extra cash.
adwriter73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 12:05 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
I have the ones with the thermostat and consider it worth the extra. The nice thing is you can go to bed with the fans on and they will shut off as the night cools down. I did not get the rain sensors as i did not think it was worth the extra cost and complexity.. I have 2 Fantastic vents in the 61 and while I hated paying the price they really do work well and their warranty service is the best
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 12:17 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I got the 4000 without the thermostat, but I have 2 MaxxFans which have a thermostat. I can't see any need for a remote. The reason I bought the MaxxFans is you can tow with them open and rain does not get in. The reason I got the FF is I did not have the clearance with the AC for another MaxxFan

Not to steal this thread, but, any recommendations of using or tossing the foam gasket the FF comes with? The MaxxFan instructions say use butyl tape and other people use Vulkem.
Old 06-15-2010, 12:20 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
The only drawback to the rain sensor is that it closes the vent in heavy dew. We also have a MaxxAir and like it better than the FF. It can stay open and provde ventilation even when it is raining.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 01:06 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
I installed one with the rain sensor over the bed in my Excella. I feel confident going off and leaving it running. It closes just fine. The bed has not gotten wet. That would not be an option without the rain sensor.

This time of year, I mainly use the FF to vent the trailer while I am at work and switch to the AC when I get home. If I could not trust it to close, I might as well not have it. As soon as I can afford it, both time and money, I will put another in the front vent. I don't want the living area getting wet either.

OK, that heavy dew drove me nuts at first. I find that the effect is worse if you have the fan blowing in instead of out.
Old 06-15-2010, 01:10 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post

Not to steal this thread, but, any recommendations of using or tossing the foam gasket the FF comes with? The MaxxFan instructions say use butyl tape and other people use Vulkem.
The foam gasket is closed cell foam and seems to work well. In fact i have gone to the fan installers at the rallies and asked for thier scrap pieces to use under other things.
Using Butyl tape would work fine as well
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

Old 06-15-2010, 01:12 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield View Post
I installed one with the rain sensor over the bed in my Excella. I feel confident going off and leaving it running. It closes just fine. The bed has not gotten wet. That would not be an option without the rain sensor.
I have found that rain in the face in the middle of the night makes me want to get up and close it manually.
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

Old 06-15-2010, 01:13 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
We have three Fantastic Fans on our two trailers - all with the thermostat and rain sensors. Two are the grey lidded version from VTS and one is an older smoked version. We like the thermostat & rain options because of our pets. If We are a way for a bit and don't have the pets with us, we can leave the vents open without worrying about an afternoon shower drenching our beds.

I prefer the gray lids because if we do park under a street light at a campground or WalMart, the smoked version still allows too much light in at night - usually shining right in my eyes...but I am a very light sleeper.

The only complaint I do have is they are kinda noisy - not a problem except at night and intermittent showers or heavy dew as others have mentioned. But then, it's that light sleeper thing again...

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 01:38 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickDavis View Post
I have found that rain in the face in the middle of the night makes me want to get up and close it manually.
That alone is enough for me to want it to close automatically.

If you read my post again, you will see I was talking about being able to leave it when I am not there to get up and close it manually.

I do agree about the close cell foam gasket. I also used Alcoa Silver Gutter Seal to coat it completely. As much to keep the sunlight off the foam as anything. I certainly kept my leftover material.
Old 06-15-2010, 01:52 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut View Post
We have three Fantastic Fans on our two trailers - all with the thermostat and rain sensors. Two are the grey lidded version from VTS and one is an older smoked version. We like the thermostat & rain options because of our pets. If We are a way for a bit and don't have the pets with us, we can leave the vents open without worrying about an afternoon shower drenching our beds.
Exactly. No pets, but not having to worry about the bed is great.
Quote:
I prefer the gray lids because if we do park under a street light at a campground or WalMart, the smoked version still allows too much light in at night - usually shining right in my eyes...but I am a very light sleeper.
I have the same gray one in the bedroom for the same reason. I will use one of the translucent white ones from VTS in the living area when I change it in the future, but I don't sleep there.
Quote:
The only complaint I do have is they are kinda noisy - not a problem except at night and intermittent showers or heavy dew as others have mentioned. But then, it's that light sleeper thing again...

Shari
I don't find them particularly noisy, but at night I usually have it on one of the lower speeds unless it is very hot. Besides, my neighbors have a dog with excellent lungs and the bedroom vent opens toward his pen. If fact, he is annoying over my 15,000 Btu Carrier AC on high—but that's another story.
Old 06-15-2010, 01:52 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2023 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Chgo. N.W. Burb's , Illinois
FF with Temp/Rain Sensor Worth it. Two on our 20ft. Max Air cover on front Bedroom unit so rain sensor dosn't go on/off all night.
knunut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 04:36 PM   #12
jm2
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
1977 20' Argosy 20
northern valley , new jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by adwriter73 View Post
Trying to decide if the thermostat and rain sensor are really worth the extra cash.
we bought two 6000 series Fantastic Vents with the thermostat & the rain sensors. seemed to make sense, since we liked the idea of using less energy when we're not "connected", making less noise when we're sleeping, and we also expect to use them when parked in the driveway at home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
The only drawback to the rain sensor is that it closes the vent in heavy dew. We also have a MaxxAir and like it better than the FF. It can stay open and provde ventilation even when it is raining.
hadn't ever read / heard about the dew issue! guess we'll find out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickDavis View Post
The foam gasket is closed cell foam and seems to work well. In fact i have gone to the fan installers at the rallies and asked for thier scrap pieces to use under other things.
Using Butyl tape would work fine as well

fwiw, I installed our first 6000RBTA model a short time ago using the closed cell foam, but didn't get to caulk it in (perimeter and screws) before a thunder storm. the good news, NO leaks with just the foam!

I made a trip to the hardware store for stainless steel screws rather than using the galvanized steel screws provided.

I also like the idea of the foam rather than a bed of caulk, based on what a pita it was removing the factory vent, and then cleaning the roof surface.

having said that, the following week at our next outing, another Airstreamer convinced Gabrielle that the 6600R/417 model, with it's remotely controllable - 14 manually selectable fan speed selection was really nice when you're sleeping below the fan, so, I'll be swapping the innards of the 6000 for the innards of a 6600R, and then installing the second new 6600R in the front of the cabin.

so, to answer the first question, yes, I think they're worth what paid for....

best,

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci.

WBCCI 2087 - AIR 3144 - TAC-NJ2

https://defendwally.org/
jm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 09:55 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Milford , Ohio
I installed the rain sensor model in my living room. Although I like the sensor being there for when I am away, it is far from perfect. A few weeks ago it got wet in a brief rain storm and due to high humidity afterwards it took a whole day to dry out. I was able to open the dome manually but the fan won't run if the sensor is wet.

In my bedroom where I didn't want a skylight over the bed, I installed a standard all metal roof vent with a TurboMaxx fan over the top of it. Runs rain or shine, thermostat, 3-speed, in or out. Only drawback might be the large profile, which is probably why the MaxFan is more popular.

Either way you go, since I assume you have those original light/vent combos, I suggest you install some sort of light fixture next to the vent opening. Once nice thing about those old light/vents is that you have power routed to the opening so wiring up an aftermarket power vent is easy.

Christopher
blickcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 11:03 AM   #14

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Our Safari had the units without the rain sensors but with a thermostat. When we hit set point the fans would shut down and the dome would close.

On our Classic we have the rain sensor/thermostat models. Hitting the set point shuts down the fan, but the dome stays open. Rain sensor works like a champ and does shut down the domes. It can however still be raining and the sensors drying out will trigger the dome to open. Once they detect moisture they will close right back down. Some folks might consider that an annoyance if this is in the middle of the night.

I've not had any heavy dew issues although I tend to use them in the exhaust mode. When I use them as input, you tend to collect a variety of insects on the screen.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 12:29 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by blickcd View Post
Once nice thing about those old light/vents is that you have power routed to the opening so wiring up an aftermarket power vent is easy.

Christopher
On my 71 the vents that do not have OEM fans are not prewired, but the wiring harness runs right next to the vents and could be easily tapped. The overhead lights are just a few inches from the vents on my Tradewind so what I did was connected to the light wires.
Old 06-18-2010, 03:19 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

We went with the Fantastic Fan 4000R model (no thermostat or rain sensor, no remote) and the white Maxair Fanmate 4000 rooftop cover. We want the fans to operate when it's raining and the FF lid to stay open when it's raining. I didn't see any need for the thermostat as you can turn the fan on before you leave the trailer and with the Maxair cover no fear of rain getting in. So far, so good with this set up.
Pat Conway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 04:32 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
Haven't installed them yet but just ordered the 4000R and 5000BT from VTS.
SilverHoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 06:53 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
I replaced the front fan/vent in my 94 with a Maxxfan. It has remote control.
This fan can be left open all the time and rain can't get in. It has all other options like the Fantastic Fan but not rain sensor since it doesn't need it.
I wanted to try this unit since the Fantastic Fan that I have in the bedroom is annoying when the rain sensor opens and closes the vent due to condensation or dew during the night. Also the new fan is quieter the the Fantastic Fan although that could be since it is new. It also opens and closes much faster than the FF.
I'm actually considering changing out the FF for a MF.
Al

TAC ON-3
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 10:12 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 28
Fresno/Clovis , California
I installed a Fantastic Fan smoke cover w/thermostat no rain detector in the living area. I installed the Maxxair w/thermostat in the bedroom, so it can stay open rain/shine/travel/parked, and the fan is up in the vent so not noisy when sleeping, which the FF is noisy at times. Both are white, as my A/C cover is white, and they match well.