Old 03-02-2006, 10:27 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
san diego , California
Which Comes First?

I have a couple of roof vents to replace or repair. I'm also replacing all of the window seals. I'm wondering if I should do all this new caulking and weather-stripping BEFORE or AFTER I polish the trailer?
Also, I thought I read somewhere that you should remove all the plastic hardware from the body of the trailer before polishing. Does that include the roof vents? Am I supposed to remove the vents when I polish?
Thanks in advance!
Jeanne

Old 03-02-2006, 10:35 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
We did the caulking before, but the weatherstripping after

The reason is, it's hard to get all the polishing compounds out of the seams (where the caulking goes) in order to get a good positive seal after polishing. Also if there is any loose old caulk, it may vibrate out during polishing and get in your pad which will scratch your aluminum. The weather stripping is bigger and easier to adhere to a cleaned off surface after polishing and it won't get dirty during the process.

As far as removing plastic vent covers, ours were very old & brittle. We started off with them on, but when the compounder touched them it shattered little chunks off. So we ended up removing the old ones and putting the new ones on, then removing them again when it was time to polish in that area again so they wouldn't get damaged or soiled. We covered the opening with taped on plastic tarp so the debris would get in the trailer.

We also removed all the plastic lenses, etc so they wouldn't get damaged and so we could get in real close with the buffer. It's a pain, especially if you are using your trailer while going through the polishing steps like we did over the course of a year or so, but worth it!

Absolutely, remove all plastic parts before stripping the clearcoat (if you have it) because most strippers will melt the plastic.

Shari

WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 10:40 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
san diego , California
Hi Shari,
Sorry, but I don't understand your reply. It seems like you're saying you did the weather-stripping before and the caulking after - not the other way around.
please clarify.
Thanks!
Old 03-02-2006, 10:49 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
No, we removed the old caulk with popsicle sticks and recaulked before polishing. The weather strip was applied after...

I have some details on our polishing adventure posted on our website, although I need to add deatils including caulking & weatherstripping.

Stripping & Polishing

Shari

Old 03-02-2006, 05:22 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
san diego , California
Thanks Shari, got it now. I have another question - When putting on the new weatherstrip, should I remove the window?
Thanks!
Old 03-02-2006, 06:18 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlandau
I have another question - When putting on the new weatherstrip, should I remove the window?
66's have the curved Corning glass, frameless windows and my '64 has the older flat glass, framed windows. I think you would be better served if someone with a 66-68 trailer advised you on that. You can do a search using "Corning glass windows" as your keywords and probably get your answer.

Or check out www.vintagetrailersupply.com they sell replacement windows for 66-68 trailers and have great details that may help you out.

Good luck!

Shari

Old 03-02-2006, 06:39 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
san diego , California
I'm not looking for windows - I was asking if I should remove the windows when applying the new weatherstrip.
Old 03-02-2006, 06:41 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
I'm not looking for windows
I know...but, the instruction sheets would be helpful IF you need to take the windows off. Personally, I would probably remove them before polishing so I didn't break them...they are too expensive to have to replace!

Shari

Old 03-03-2006, 01:20 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Weatherstrip install

Quote:
I'm not looking for windows - I was asking if I should remove the windows when applying the new weatherstrip.
If you are very careful with the 3m weatherstrip adhesive on the frame edges and the back edge of the weatherstrip, you should be able to install new weatherstrip with the windows fully open. If it makes you nervous then remove the glass from the glass clamp/hinge assy. You will need to install new glazing/bedding tape on the glass prior to re-installing them. See the thread..."This Window is Cursed" by "Pinkflamingos" on this forum for some insight into the installation process. Some will recommend using silicne adhesive to "glue" the glass into the clamp/hinge but silicone does not stick to aluminum and the window glass may eventually fall out. Glazing/bedding tape is how they were originally installed by the factory. VintageTrailerSuppy has glass installation instructions for these windows on their website under the ordering tab for 66',67',68', trailers that you can print out and take to the trailer with you...Hope this helps. Ed

FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote