Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Roof Vents, Skylights & Fans
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-04-2010, 03:43 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Madison , Wisconsin
Where do I get power for my fan?

My wife and I recently bought a 2006 25' Safari FB and want to put either a fantastic fan or maxx fan above our bed. Unfortunately the old vent is not prewired. I saw on one thread about getting power from the bathroom vent fan.

Is it possible to get power from the LED lights in the ceiling? They are much closer and would be easier to access. Would that circuit be able to handle the fan?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jimmy
Mfdfyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 07:21 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Venice , Florida
Jim,

I just installed 2 Fantastic fans in my 1985 Sovereign. I installed them in the 14X14 vent openings in the bedroom and living room areas.

It was very easy to snake a wire to the light fixture circuit but I did have to drill a small hole in the cross member for the wire. Piece of cake. Circuit will handle the Fan and light, I am told.

Good luck,

Airdreamers

WBCCI #8880
AIR #41310
airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 07:26 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
power from lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfdfyr View Post
Is it possible to get power from the LED lights in the ceiling? They are much closer and would be easier to access. Would that circuit be able to handle the fan?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jimmy
Jimmy,
Pulling a wire from the lights that are close is your best shot. When I use to work in service, we did that all the time and never had any problems from it. Airstream designs the circuit with room to grow.

Dan
Old 09-04-2010, 07:39 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdreamers View Post
Jim,
I did have to drill a small hole in the cross member for the wire.
If you drill add a rubber grommet to the hole or otherwise prevent the wires from have the insulation cut.

You might also find a dip in the rib, between the rib and skin a little ways one way or the other down the rib you can fish the wire through
Old 09-04-2010, 08:50 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Jimmy,

I have a 2006 FB SE and about two weeks ago I had it in the shop. I asked the tech about installing a fantastic fan in the bedroom, specifically wondering about wiring in the ceiling. He told me that, yes they were wired and installing a fan was a rather easy thing to do.

Do you know for sure that there is no wiring in your unit? I do remember reading that pulling electricity from a ceiling light would require your lights to be on whenever you wanted to run your fan. I have not looked at a schematic but I would think that the hot lead goes to the switch and not to one of the lights in the ceiling.

Dick
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote