Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2005, 06:31 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Question What sealant to use?

With all this rain I found a leak coming in from the base of one of the roof vent pipe staining the edge of the cedar lining in the closet. The sealant around the vent pipe is Dicor 501 white self leveling. Should I pull off the old sealant and replace it with the original Dicor 501 ? Seems like just a few years and it went bad. Is there a better sealant to use?
Tinsel Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 10:25 PM   #2
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
loaf

i think they have a neoprene gasket under the aluminum cap covering the pipe.

and they are failure prone after a number of years.

john
Old 01-09-2005, 12:48 PM   #3
Rivet Master

John
The Airstream is just out of warranty about two days ago. So this gasket is good for only about two or three years ? Or could this be a quality control issue from Airstream that just took a pounding rain to show up this leak? Is the Dicor 501 still the best sealant to use?
Tinsel Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 07:29 PM   #4
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
loaf

i do not know what dicor 501 is...

if it were my trailer i think i would use good old fashioned vulkem. AND a gasket!

when redoing the vent caps on rickstreams 74 excella we found the vulkem was still pliable. i believe they had never been worked on due to the condition of the screws holding them on.

so no, they should last considerably more than two years. i believe andy suggests replacement every ten years.

perhaps your vent pipes were not properly trimmed, not allowing the caps to seat fully.

at very least consider yourself lucky you don't need to remove plain steel screws that had rusted into place after 30 some years.

we broke then ground out or drilled every one! on three caps!

john