Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2007, 12:29 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Water Leak

I have a 34' limited on the Oregon Coast and thought all leaks had been repaired. When a high wind (50 mph+) blows from the south with lots of rain; I get a large pool under the dining table about a foot out from the wall.

Since the vents are open a couple inches for circulation; I am thinking the high wind enters the trailer and pushes the windows out just a bit to allow for the rain to enter.

Does anyone have experience or seen similar problem?

Thanks/Lee
lmcatee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 12:47 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
This can't be good!

I certainly wouldn't leave the windows open (even a couple of inches for circulation) during a rain storm!
Get it dried out, close up the windows & wait for the next rain...if there is no water afterwards, problem solved! If so, the rain must be leaking in from somewhere else ~

Don't mention the trailer model or year or whether you full-time or just have it in storage...not that my response would be much different ~ but it might open up some other options

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 12:51 PM   #3
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Lee-

With a 50+ MPH wind and rain, any opening at all no matter how small is an invitation for water. Do yourself a favor and button up your baby nice and tight and see how it does in the next rain.
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 12:57 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
To keep it fresh inside with the windows/vents buttoned up, set out an open container of DampRid inside between visits.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 04:31 PM   #5
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Los Osos , California
Hmmm. I was just trying to figure out where to post this question but this may be it.

Last time it rained (it rarely rains in my area) water pooled and soaked a rug that was in front of the refrigerator. I dried it out and there was no water in that spot for a month or so until last night when it rained hard again. This morning there was pooling on the rug again in front of the refrigerator. My Airstream is new (6 months old). I called the dealer today and explained it to them and they said "oh those Airstreams. Those vents leak when it rains or when you wash them." ???? Does that seem reasonable? They suggested putting something inside the exterior refrig vents to block the water when not in use.

None of the roof vents are open and from what I can tell, the Airstream is all buttoned up.
BamCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 05:48 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamCamper
Hmmm. I was just trying to figure out where to post this question but this may be it.

Last time it rained (it rarely rains in my area) water pooled and soaked a rug that was in front of the refrigerator. I dried it out and there was no water in that spot for a month or so until last night when it rained hard again. This morning there was pooling on the rug again in front of the refrigerator. My Airstream is new (6 months old). I called the dealer today and explained it to them and they said "oh those Airstreams. Those vents leak when it rains or when you wash them." ???? Does that seem reasonable? They suggested putting something inside the exterior refrig vents to block the water when not in use.

None of the roof vents are open and from what I can tell, the Airstream is all buttoned up.
Take it back for a warrenty repair - have them find the leak and fix the associated damage the water has caused. I am in the middle of locating a leak in my 2003 CCD. It's mind bending to find a small leak - but it has to be done. Do not let them talk you out of it - the vents don't leak when installed properley - my guess is it's not the vents.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 09:08 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Bam,
Talk to Ken in Service when you take it back in. I have found him very helpful. (Assuming you are talking about SkyRiver.)
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 09:19 PM   #8
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
Los Osos , California
Thanks. Yes, I was referring to Sky River RV. I will ask for Ken next time.

Has anyone else had experience with exterior vents leaking during rain or washing? Why would they say that all Airstreams do this? Just to avoid a repair?
Old 01-29-2007, 09:26 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Just to avoid a repair?
Possibly. I used to be in the auto repair business. A warranty repair did not pay nearly as well as a customer pay job. If the dealer is busy and has a choice between warranty or customer pay, he will prefer the $$ naturally. Is this right and ethical? No. But I can tell you that the temptation is there, some shops do better at meeting their obligations than others. And it IS an obligation. Ken is the service manager, hold him to the fire. I suspect you spoke with someone else the first time.
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 10:58 PM   #10
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
Los Osos , California
I did speak to someone else who may not have been the sharpest knife. And I will take the Airstream in for a thorough inspection...by Ken. Thanks Dave.

I am still curious though if anyone else has experienced a similar leak problem.
Old 01-29-2007, 11:36 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Simi Valley , California
Advice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clancy_boy
Take it back for a warrenty repair - have them find the leak and fix the associated damage the water has caused. I am in the middle of locating a leak in my 2003 CCD. It's mind bending to find a small leak - but it has to be done. Do not let them talk you out of it - the vents don't leak when installed properley - my guess is it's not the vents.
please be careful w/ the advice. i say this in a very nice way. i have the same exact trailer. the access panel for the fridge (back of frig to exterior skin) is not water tite. it will leak when washing the exterior of the trailer ( i wash mine every two weeks, and wax it, it's true. don't open the access panel and directly "clean" the insides w/ a hose and nozzle) and in a very hard wind driven rain (i guess to avoid a 12 page response, define "hard wind driven"). it's minor, but will leak, and is not a defect.

friendly, kevin
Kevbo10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 09:55 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
I guess my advice pretained to the attitude of the shop worker. "Nah, they all leak, those Airstreams" is not an opinion I would want to hear from a guy after I paid $45K+ for a camper. They should be willing to look at it and determine the exact cause - this is important after you have problems outside their 2 year LIMITED warrenty period. If you can prove damage involving poor craftsmanship at construction during a warrenty and additional damage is found later then you can have them fix it. That's all, proper documentattion by them is always a good thing. Good Luck
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 11:38 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Yakima , Washington
leaks

Bam,

I'm tracking down a couple of leaks too, one somewhere in the rear showing up on the underside of the flooring right where it meets the shell/rear bumper (I've still got my rear belly undone to re-attach my black flush hose) and the second one right in front of my fridge??

The first one is a long story but the latter it seems has now been traced to the drip hose fitting from my A/C unit directly above and nearly in front of the fridge!! I snapped the filters out of the A/C and found that the housing/interior piece directly below the fitting was gathering quite an amount of water (due to its molded shape) and would spill out when full. This may have been happening since new but only recenlty showed up because we've been having some torrential rain lately and probably most the coach has seen. Now I have to find out why the hose/fitting is leaking...

This may not be your source since I don't know where your A/C relative to the leak.

Marc
B25guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 04:49 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Classic
Livingston , Terry
I am experiencing a similiar problem in my one month old Classic 25'. A small, but noticible water stain appeared on the bedroom wall in just about the same location of the outside rear tail light. Hmmm, so out I went with sealant in hand. I found what appears to be a very small 'opening' (spot with no apparant sealant), between the tail light housing and the curved body of the rig. You can guess what I did. It's raining again tonight, so we'll see if that was the prob. I called Bates about the unsightly stain left over and haven't heard back from them all day. Hope that is not a sign of their service, as the door is awfully 'hard' to close.
Dover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 05:55 PM   #15
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
Los Osos , California
A quick aside so as not to hijack the thread...My door was hard to close initially but it has since loosened up and is fine now. It took a couple of
months.

I keep hearing from more people with leak problems. Is this really common?
Old 01-30-2007, 06:06 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Classic
Livingston , Terry
Thanks for the reply and the words of encouragement about the door of the new Classic being difficult to 'shut'. I'll give it time and patienience
Dover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 03:22 PM   #17
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
Los Osos , California
The water leak is back. After the first leak I tried blocking off the outside vents as the dealer suggested but during the last rain storm (last night) it still leaked. I will call tomorrow and make an appointment with the dealer to have it repaired. In the meantime, does anyone have a theory as to where the water could be coming from?
Old 02-11-2007, 06:44 PM   #18

Gallatin , Tennessee
Leak

I had a similar problem with my 30' classic. I started by caulking the seams on the roof. It took a while and two rain storms later I finally plugged the leak. As it's still under warranty I'll be taking it back to the dealer and have them redo my temproary fix.
dknox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 05:42 PM   #19
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
Los Osos , California
Water leak update

Well it appears that when I cover the exterior refrig vents before it rains there are no water leaks. I think what has happened is that where the trailer is parked/stored it is not completely level. I have used the levelers (all of them) on one side but is is still just slightly lower then the refrig side. (I didn't want it to be balancing up too high on one side) I think the rain gets into the vents and then is funneled inside because of the slight lean.

Has anyone else experienced this? I guess I will need to cover the vents whenever rain is expected and the AS is not perfectly level. It's kind of inconvenient but it seems to work.
Old 03-10-2007, 11:28 AM   #20
ALUMINUM OBSSESSION

1993 34' Limited
Hamilton , Ontario
Hi my 1993 34' airstream classic has a water leak below the (rt side) front window .I have put sealant around the window trim.Caulted the seam for the complete front section,yet I still get a leak on the inside panels just below the front corner of that window.
Has any other 34' trailers had this problem. I'm open for suggestions
william Haym is offline   Reply With Quote