Old 08-01-2013, 07:52 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2012 23' International
Riverview , Florida
Vent openings on Int'l 23D

I'm curious about others who own a late model International 23D. The opening direction of the vent over the bed puzzles me. It opens in the direction of the front of the trailer. Seems to me all vents should open to the rear of the trailer. Having one that opens to the front of the trailer precludes adding one of the aftermarket vent covers. Was mine just installed wrong? Does anyone else have this model (or another model) with a vent that opens toward the front as delivered from the factory? Mine is a 2012 made in late 2011.

The picture below helps illustrate what I mean.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	16.JPG
Views:	316
Size:	294.9 KB
ID:	192214  

Old 08-01-2013, 07:58 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, someone was sleeping on the job; I have never seen one like that before.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:07 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2012 23' International
Riverview , Florida
Thanks for your thoughts, Robert. I'm debating whether I want to make this a warranty issue for my final visit before my 2 years are up in early November. Some day I'm thinking I might want those vent covers because I know the sun can be harsh on the regular vent cover making them brittle. A after-market vent cover would help when it rains and add an extra layer of protection against cracking.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:15 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2012 23' International
Riverview , Florida
Update

So, I contacted Airstream today about this issue and I got a nearly immediate reply from Dan in Customer Service. He, too, thought it was odd that the rear vent opened toward the front of the trailer. He had absolutely no problem fixing this as a warranty item.

My contact to them also asked about getting the marker lights sealed with Acryl-R. Previous warranty work done by a dealer closer to my home was decent in terms of the workmanship but they didn't do all of the steps as indicated in the instructions that came with the marker light upgrade kit. The Acryl-R step was left out so the marker light frames are not sealed against the body. The lenses are also not sealed to the marker light frame and I'm getting condensation inside the lenses.

Based on another thread about this dealer that has been active in the last couple of days, I think when I take the trailer back to the dealer where I bought it, I will have them inspect underneath one of the marker lights and see if the first dealer really did address the corrosion that had started. I won't be too surprised if I hear the new frames were just put on top of the corrosion and it's an "out of sight - out of mind" solution. That would probably make me come totally unglued.

I am exceptionally happy with the sales and service from the dealer where I made my purchase. I used a closer dealer for some repairs because it was a 20 minute drive rather than 2 hours. That's not likely to happen again.
Old 08-02-2013, 09:09 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Marietta , Georgia
I had heard, and maybe this is urban legend, that trailers going up into Alaska turn the vents around like yours, in order to keep positive pressure in the AS and thus reduce dust accumulation from the highway. Now this could be complete hogwash. Other than that I think it is just a mistake.
2014 Ford F250 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley Hitch
WBCCI #1271

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 07:09 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2013 23' International
Fremont , California
Checked my 2013 23D this morning and it's positioned differently. Hopefully not too much of a hassle to have your vents switched.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3119062694.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	270.9 KB
ID:	192379
Old 08-03-2013, 07:45 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2012 23' International
Riverview , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by nilesrob View Post
I had heard, and maybe this is urban legend, that trailers going up into Alaska turn the vents around like yours, in order to keep positive pressure in the AS and thus reduce dust accumulation from the highway. Now this could be complete hogwash. Other than that I think it is just a mistake.
Interesting, Brad, hadn't heard that before. I rarely get in dusty situations. There will be far more benefit to me to have it switched.
Old 08-03-2013, 07:47 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2012 23' International
Riverview , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griggs View Post
Checked my 2013 23D this morning and it's positioned differently. Hopefully not too much of a hassle to have your vents switched.
Thank you, Griggs, for the example. Helps me believe even more now that mine was a mistake.