Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2012, 04:00 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Vent Line Fan in Bathroom

My motor in the fan is intermittent squealing and have been told it is the motor. That I can change it out.

First question is can you replace the existing 12V 1.5 amp motor with a 12V 1.6 motor.

And how do you get the vent cover off to get at the motor.

I tried from underneath and all I have managed to do is break the switch coping it is so brittle and one of the leads pulled out of the turn switch - but at least that allowed me to pull the switch cover off and feed the screen out.

But what I am looking does not give me any screws to undo the motor from the fan blade.

The push up handle does not look like it comes apart either and unless there is some sort of screw accessed from on top of the roof how the heck does this thing come apart.
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 04:10 PM   #2
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Ventline Vanair Fan

Hows your fridge?

First off, everything is accessable from up top. There are 2 screws that hold the vent cover on. Once removed you can access everything from there.

I just rebuilt mine, takes a a few dollars and about a half hour!
I called the company in Indiana directly and they were able to get me everything I needed in 2 days.

As far as the motor goes, mine was noisy also... a few drops of 3 in one oil on the shaft fixed the noise, and now works very quietly!

I replaced the foam seal on the dome with new rubber, I used some silicone to prevent sticking.
Additionally, I used silicone on the slide assembly, all works like new again. Overall a pretty decent little fan!

A white paper is found here....

http://ventline.com/i/u/6148923/f/RV...Vent_11-11.pdf
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 04:30 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
I guess I can't avoid going up top - ha Bob Barrett from Fantastic vent has me going up there to tees the motor in my back fantastic vent too.

Okay what about if the oil does not stop the squealing do you know if a 1.6amp to a 1.5 would make much difference?

And now that I have buggered the switch up - any suggestions of how to get the wires back into that little switch? Or will I have to by a new one - this is a turn switch but I am sure a push button would do the trick as well you think?

I don't have any 3 in 1 oil but I do have Liquid Wrench spray it is a combo of super penetrating solvents - says indispensable for mechanics

Thanks for the sheet - that is a great help - should have posted before I pulled the switch off - but had to any way as the fan screen really needed cleaning and I could not get into the corners without pulling it out.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:03 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
So I got on the roof and took the fan the lid off and the fan blade came off and two little screws - but first I oiled the spindle and ran the fan and it does the same thing - it is definitely the bushings inside the motor.

So this replace 12v fan I got which runs most fans - does not fit the holes. So I will have to drill the spindle mount hole bigger - the little screws are too small but found others that fit but will have to drill one hole cause they don't fit neither - ug - and then of course it has to start raining totally out of the blue - that happens to me a lot at this park - it just rains on my trailer - seriously no word of a lie! So I popped the cover back on.

From the inside I will wire it up and make sure this motor actually works without blowing a fuse with the .1 amp difference - anyone know if it makes that much difference - sure the blade can handle it and actually work better moving a tiny bit faster. Or does that have nothing to do with it and just that amount of power it draws - dang I am no electrician here LOL.

I will have to figure out the switch though as it is corroded in side and I doubt that I can get the wires back in and stay in - so will have to by a new little switch - either a push button or a toggle does not matter.

Paid 30.00 for the motor which is better than 89.00 I guess and have to pull the whole fan out and re-install. Blade is good screen is good - although I also broke the cross arm on it but I can just contact cement that back together as it has no load bearing of any sort - plastic has its place but when it gets brittle it is toast.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:01 PM   #5
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
A trip up top is never a bad thing!

Liquid Wrench will work to free things up, then a light drop of oil will keep it working freely.

Any replacement switch will do, Any auto parts place or Radio Shack will have a switch.

A difference in current draw that low wont make any difference.
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:52 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
bought a whole new fan from Outdoors Mart and put it in in about an hour. No noise and the switch works.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:25 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
OMFG - how do you fellas put up with this stuff.

I was up and down on that roof a hundred times - no kidding!

wrong screw driver, wrong wrench. needed measuring tape then a pencil, then the a different bit.

Got the holes drilled to fit the new motor. Attached fan and reinstall the cover. Wanted to check the wires so had the 12V battery ready - and the flipping motor does not run the fan. It seemed really tight - no screws came with the fan and there was clearance inside the house so that is not the issue. I put the fan blade back in the right way had to drill the spindle hole a bit bigger for the half moon spindle.

So the profanities flew after seriously getting up there at least 10 times - okay so 100 was an exaggeration!

It was hotter than get go up there and I could have fried a couple of eggs while I was at it - with two beers and this heat I was dreading coming down each time.

So back up I went - but not before I went on line and order a WHOLE NEW fan - $56.00 and a 7 day wait which is quite a pain in the butt - as I am living in this trailer and showers fill the coach up with humidity and since my back FF is on the blitz till those parts come in too I'm really in a mess here.

So I went back up and took the fan motor out and put the lid back for a future install.

Hook the motor up inside to the 12V bat and the spindle turns fine - UG!!!! so I don't care what the issue was. I have a new one coming.

I even jerry rigged a new red lit on off switch to the pathetic screen - it was all going to work fine - and it seems nothing goes as planned. So after 3 hours of up and down heat and sips of beer I am absolutely no further ahead than I was yesterday - and have to take some parts back - think I will keep the switch might come in handy for something

Thanks for all your help though.

Off to another thread - ipod outlet for my radio?