Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Roof Vents, Skylights & Fans
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-08-2014, 04:41 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
little river , California
Vent lift installation & Astrodome installation

I just received a set of 4 new vent lift operators from Inlamd RV. Can somebody direct me to a post instructing how to install them? I'm replacing the lifts on my old vent as well as installing a new astrodome from VTS, so I also need a link to instructions on how to install an astrodome. I'm using a forum app on my phone and no matter what I type into the forum search engine, it tells me that zero topics match my search. Thanks guys!
jessejane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 06:02 PM   #2
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessejane View Post
I just received a set of 4 new vent lift operators from Inlamd RV. Can somebody direct me to a post instructing how to install them? I'm replacing the lifts on my old vent as well as installing a new astrodome from VTS, so I also need a link to instructions on how to install an astrodome. I'm using a forum app on my phone and no matter what I type into the forum search engine, it tells me that zero topics match my search. Thanks guys!
Try logging out and doing the search, it's a glitch. The search engine only works for me if I'm not logged in.
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 09:00 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessejane View Post
Install the operators with a # 46 or # 48 all aluminum pop rivet, with the head on the exterior of the cover. Then seal the rivet head with a little Parbond.

Drill the holes with a # 30 drill bit SLOWLY.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 08:21 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
Vent lift installation & astradome installation

So I got my new lift operators from Inland and I'm trying to install them on my old Hehr aluminum vent cover and the hardware is significantly different in shape than the original vent lifts. I'm including pictures to help show what I mean. Hinge part is much longer than the original so that the triangular part does not fit into the indented space in the vent cover. And the new hinge has two holes where the original had three. The holes on the new one do not line up with the holes in the vent cover. So I guess I have a couple of questions. Will the new lifts work the same even though they have to be installed closer to the outer rim? (Again, enclosing a photo to show what I mean) also, if I need to drill new holes to attach the lifts, is there something I can buy to fill up the old holes or will I have to use an aluminum patch? Will the old and new parts work together or do I have to buy a new vent cover? Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1389323876.074222.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	203264
This is as far into the triangle indent that the new parts go.
Compared to how the old ones fit as seen here:
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1389323928.127638.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	299.9 KB
ID:	203265

And below you can see how much longer the hinged bit is. It seems pretty significant to me in terms of where the vent cover will be positioned over the opening, but maybe I'm wrong. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1389323959.485025.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	203266

I hope I'm making sense. Basically, I don't want to drill new holes in my vent cover and attach everything only to find that it doesn't work and I'll just have to buy a different vent cover. Help! Thank you!

It's hard to get a photo of where the new lifts don't fit into the indented space for the old lifts.
Old 01-10-2014, 04:34 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
I managed to install the astradome with the new lifts I bought from Inland, however, my fears were confirmed and the new vent lifts don't match up with my old aluminum Hehr vent cover. Has anyone else had this problem? Is there a solution other than buying a new vent cover? If I were to buy a new cover, which ones will work with the Inland RV vent lifts? Sorry for bombarding you guys with questions. I promise to pay it forward in the future when i am am experienced airstream repairwoman. Thanks guys!