Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2010, 04:28 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Coombs , BC
Vent hardware 74 Tradewind

I am looking for the springs for the front vent/fan opener on a 74 Tradewind. Does anyone have these or all of the hardware required for the front vent opener? Am hoping to repair our original rather than going for a new Fantastic Fan even though it is covered on our insurance.
peregrines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 07:35 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Milford , Ohio
I have two old vents that I removed from my '79. Assuming the hardware is the same on earlier models, I can send you what you need for the cost of shipping.

Contact me off-list and confirm exactly what parts you need.

Just my two cents, I installed a Fantastic Vent in my living room last year and have been so pleased with it I wished I had done it earlier. Just last week I replaced the bedroom vent with a modern roof vent and covered it with a Turbo Maxx fan. Didn't want a skylight in the bedroom or a nutty rain sensor over the bed. So far I am pleased with it as well. In short, if you can afford to install either of these right now I say go for it.

Christopher
blickcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 11:26 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Coombs , BC
new vent

Hi Christopher, we have been torn about what to do. Keep the original fan/vent cover trying to keep most things stock, or go with a new Fantastic fan. Our existing fan works, it's just the opening hardware , springs etc that got bent. Sounds like you prefer the Fantastic Fan. Which model did you install? The Model they are suggesting is 5000RBT with a smoke cover (is there a better cover to go with? I've heard there is a grey one available somewhere?)The only possible bad things I've heard about them is that they may hang lower so you can bump your head on them??? Also do they fit the inside curvature of the roof so they look good from the inside? This is covered by insurance so we could go either way...as I said we can't decide so any suggestions would help. Thanks
peregrines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 09:56 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Milford , Ohio
My Fantastic is the 6000RBTA, which is like the 5000RBT but has a rain sensor that closes the dome in the event of rain. So you know, the sensor works but is not perfect.

The dome on my fan is smoked transparent plastic. I've heard there is a grey dome available for Airstreams but I wanted the skylight effect in my living room.

No part of the fan hangs down below the level of the ceiling, or if it does it is no lower than the original light/vent that was there.

When ordering the fan, ask for the garnish (what they call the interior trim piece) for a curved ceiling. Also specify the color you want, white or off-white. This garnish has raised curved ends to somewhat match the ceiling. I actually trimmed and sanded mine for a tighter fit. Fantastic will send you this special garnish at no extra charge. You might also get that grey dome for free if you ask.

My commentary on whether to install a Fantastic or keep things original is this: Considering that the Fantastic Vent is standard equipment on newer Airstreams and is such a great feature to have, I think there is no harm installing one.

Christopher
blickcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 02:41 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Savannah , Georgia
Christopher, if you still have the old vent lights, would really like to have them or one. Screw drive is bent on one of mine and the nylon bushing is broken. Email: jackjtay@aol.com
Thanks. Jack
Skamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote