Old 01-14-2008, 01:04 PM   #29
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
We had exactly this problem with a replacement vent in our Sovereign. Same brand, same problem--woke up in the morning to find too much daylight, and a gaping hole where a vent cover should be. I replaced the whole works with a Fantastic.

Old 01-16-2008, 03:02 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Trenton , Illinois
Thanks for the help. Replaced it with the proper cover. When I was replacing the missing cover I noticed that there's a low spot right behind the vent (to the left in the photo). You can see that water pools there and evaporates. There's no sign that it was dented or damaged. Has anyone else seen this low spot and is it cause for concern?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vent_low_spot.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	52608  

Old 01-16-2008, 05:17 PM   #31
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinLoaf
There's no sign that it was dented or damaged. Has anyone else seen this low spot and is it cause for concern?
It is only a cause for concern bacause the water will pool where there is a seam, and may eventually leak through the seam.
Old 01-16-2008, 06:28 PM   #32
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Northwest Panhandle , The Sunshine State/WBCCI 6637
Low Spot

Mine does this to but it is not a concern to me.It is not that big at all.The only solution to do is to put wood between the walls.It not only braces it but keeps it level as well.I have seen this done in past posts.That is how I learned about it.

Devoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 09:38 AM   #33

2002 16' Bambi
Lebanon , Ohio
I lost the cover to my FF. It seems to have shattered and then blew off when I moved my Bambi ('02) from winter storage. The fantastic fan folks promised a new lid and shipped it immediately for no charge (supposed to arrive Monday).
Any advice on installation ?
Old 06-08-2008, 09:47 AM   #34
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudia1
I lost the cover to my FF. It seems to have shattered and then blew off when I moved my Bambi ('02) from winter storage. The fantastic fan folks promised a new lid and shipped it immediately for no charge (supposed to arrive Monday).
Any advice on installation ?
Hi, welcome to the forums.
The Fantastic cover is very easy to change, just 4 phillips screws holding it in place. Crank up the actuator (the thing that makes the vent go up) about halfway from inside the trailer. Then go on the roof with the cover and a screwdriver. Unscrew the remains of the hinge, and slide the cover off the slide for the actuator. You'll see a slightly larger spot in the slot, the little plastic knob will come out through that. Slide the new slide onto the actuator, then attach the 4 screws back to the vent. Crawl off the roof, and verify the vent goes up and down as intended.
Relax and enjoy your new vent cover.
I did this this morning, to install a thermostat and rain sensor, total project time was 45 minutes, including schlepping the ladder.
Old 07-19-2008, 11:25 AM   #35
3 Rivet Member

2007 19' Safari SE
Seal Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by JStanley View Post
Interesting to read that someone else had a vent cover disintegrate on a 2006 Safari.
The pieces on mine were very brittle and yellow. It looked like it was in the sun for 50 years.
Since the trailer was still under warranty I had it replaced for free and added a hood over the cover.
I bet someone mixed up a bad batch of plastic or errors were made in the fabrication process. How many others had the same problem?
I was washing our '07 Bambi this morning, and when my brush edge came in contact with the corner of the bedroom vent. The corner broke off into smaller pieces that crumpled like a graham cracker in my hand. Luckily, the break was outside the gasket, but I'll be replacing the cover under warranty as well. What does the "hood" look like, and do you have to remove it by hand to open the skylight cover?

-Jerry

Jerry & Susan
2007 19' Bambi SE; 2010 Ford F-150 5.4L SuperCrew 4x4 w/ FlipPac camper shell
ESCAPE POD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 01:08 PM   #36
My Grandparents Airstream

2007 28' Safari SE
Hillsboro , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Andrew Selking
I have had the same problem on our 2007 SE FB 25ft. Safari. I was not near a Airstream dealer at the time. I ended up at a local RV dealer he had replacements so I got two and went on my way. Since then I keep an extra one under the bed so when I loose another I will be ready. The best replacement is the Fantastic fan they seem to be made of better plastic. They also cost a lot more.

WBCCI #6062
International 3rd Vice President

"Airstream the Best trailer ever built."
Andrew Selking is offline   Reply With Quote