Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Roof Vents, Skylights & Fans
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-02-2013, 10:53 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
Zavalla , Texas
Ugly!? interior of maxxair and fantastic fans

Having read so many great reviews of the fantastic and maxx fans, I figured it was just a matter of time until I replaced my 70's fans.

But then I looked at the inside part at a camping world store .... OMG they are, well, very utilitarian!

Is there any way to make them look a little more finished on the inside?

Right now, my 77 has combo vents/lights. Here is the replacement cover...
http://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/..._p/vts-285.htm
WBCCI #1711
Texas Gulf Coast Unit, Texas Airstream Harbor
Angelina National Forest, Zavalla, TX
CA_Tallguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:08 PM   #2
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
They are also quite loud.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:03 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
The FF is truly fantastic in how it moves air. It is also fantastically ugly with all 4 corners filled with an assortment of BLACK items set into WHITE plastic. The switches, knobs, and fuses are an assortment of sizes, some round, some rectangular, and then there is the crank up knob, another thing of beauty.

Even if they had all the knobs, switches and controls white it would be a real improvement
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:12 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Vents 'n Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
...Even if they had all the knobs, switches and controls white it would be a real improvement
Now is the time to stop by the local hardware store and pick up a can of Krylon "Fusion" paint of a color of your choice. Then stop by a StopnGo and purchase a newspaper and a six-pack of your favorite adult beverage.

Spread the newspaper out on the grass away from your Airstream and (very lightly to avoid runs) paint and repaint the hardware.

Sip and enjoy the six-pack while the paint is drying between coats.

The Fantastic Fan people are very Airstream friendly - call them, ask if you can exchange the flat interior trim normally included for a rounded trim that conforms to the curve of the airstream roof.

Better yet - order from airstream friendly dealers - you will find them in Vermont, South Carolina, and California - and many places on line. The Airstream friendly dealers - especially those here on the Forums - will send to you the install kit with the Airstream curve interior trim in the package. You will probably find that the dealers here on the Forums will be the least expensive compared to a walk in big box RV chain.

I have mounted Fluorescent fixtures adjacent to all of the vents I have replaced with FF's. I recently discovered what a great improvement that the new LED replacement tubes make. The good one's are a bit pricey, about 40 bucks per tube - but what a difference in the amount of light!

If you have a Fluorescent with tubes or ballasts going out replace the tube with a 12 volt LED - you'll be sorry if you don't.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:30 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
We replaced the stock roof vents in our previous '81 International with Fantastic Fans.

The we found the usefulness of the fans outweighs the aesthetics.

Regards,

JD

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:55 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
The FF is truly fantastic in how it moves air. It is also fantastically ugly with all 4 corners filled with an assortment of BLACK items set into WHITE plastic. The switches, knobs, and fuses are an assortment of sizes, some round, some rectangular, and then there is the crank up knob, another thing of beauty.

Even if they had all the knobs, switches and controls white it would be a real improvement

Well, I have to disagree. Last few days, boondocking in more or less total darkness at night, I definitely liked the fact that the switches and knobs are different shapes ... that way I could operate my Fantastic Vents by feel, without having to turn on a light. It was easy to tell by touch what switch was which. I liked that a lot. And during the day, the contrast between light and dark was good for my aging eyes! That's just simple, basic ergonomics. BTW, the nice little Fantastic Endless Breeze portable fan has only one knob ... hard to get confused with it!

But, as noted, if ya' don't like em' - they're certainly paintable.

And loud? I guess it's all relative, as I don't find them loud at all ... at least not nearly as loud as the rooftop air conditioner! Just a little whirr and a whoosh of moving air. 'Course, the higher the fan speed, the more air and noise you get. Is this a great time and place or what? ... you get to make choices!
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:18 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
They aren't a feast for the eye all right but they work great.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:18 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1999 34' Excella
Cinnaminson , New Jersey
compared to my original fans the maxxFans are a huge improvement in the looks and performance department. IMO they look great:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6984.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	248.4 KB
ID:	190354   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6986.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	316.5 KB
ID:	190355  

excellaf350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:11 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 22
Pasadena , California
Send a message via AIM to crabbey1 Send a message via Skype™ to crabbey1
I have 2 MaxxAir fans. I don't mind the design, but I did have to peel the logo sticker off immediately.
crabbey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:25 AM   #10
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by excellaf350 View Post
compared to my original fans the maxxFans are a huge improvement in the looks and performance department. IMO they look great:
My Interstate came equipped with a MaxxFan. I wouldn't have it any other way. It's not terribly loud, and the hood design means that I can leave it open even in a howling thunderstorm without any water leaking in. Even while driving. I know because I have, often, most recently yesterday.

I do close it for hurricanes, though.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:31 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
Zavalla , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87MH View Post
Now is the time to stop by the local hardware store and pick up a can of Krylon "Fusion" paint of a color of your choice. Then stop by a StopnGo and purchase a newspaper and a six-pack of your favorite adult beverage.

Spread the newspaper out on the grass away from your Airstream and (very lightly to avoid runs) paint and repaint the hardware.

Sip and enjoy the six-pack while the paint is drying between coats.

The Fantastic Fan people are very Airstream friendly - call them, ask if you can exchange the flat interior trim normally included for a rounded trim that conforms to the curve of the airstream roof.

Better yet - order from airstream friendly dealers - you will find them in Vermont, South Carolina, and California - and many places on line.
Oh howdy Dennis! Hope y'all are well. I miss TAHI and can't wait to get back. Will be toward winter though. If you see mr Short please tell him that Mr Tall says hello.

I broke down and bought a new vent for the front and took your advice and got the curved trim. Also am going to add some lighting. I was trying to decide between recessed and surface mount LED and in the end got some surface mount for now.

Once I saw pictures of the fantastic vents installed, I didn't find them to be quite as ugly as in the store. The clear fan blade makes a big difference and seems like it disappears when looking up at the sky through there -- at least in pics I have seen with the smoked lid.

Working on install now, along with the lighting and a new TV antenna ... And the biggie, a new pop up satellite dish. Taking down the middle inside ceiling panel since I have a LOT of wires to run and doing all the projects I can to make it worthwhile.
WBCCI #1711
Old 07-22-2013, 02:23 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
Zavalla , Texas
For those interested, these are the lights I am going to install for now (since I am losing the built in lighting on my old fan). I looked far and wide and though there are a few I liked better, couldn't beat the price on these. Also rated well In reviews.

Name:   image-1738891585.jpg
Views: 699
Size:  25.0 KB

Link to the product page ... http://amzn.to/18vPkwN

I also considered these, same brand, good reviews, inexpensive... http://amzn.to/13UcrLX

But those at the last link required big holes to recess and they also leave some space around the eyeball open into the ceiling so I thought it wouldn't be great for insulation reasons. Also, I was skeptical about the rotating eye mechanism holding up with vibration and such on the road. Wish this brand had some that were not eyeball types, but just recessed.

Also I was quite taken with these lights and many others by Lumitec made for yachts (with white led not blue) http://amzn.to/1aELdze

... But in the end I opted for those at the first link as $50 for 4 lights was just too great of a bargain. With the lumitec lights, it would have been about that much per light and I might have used more of them for the install.

There are a lot of options for nice lights at the $50 to $100 price point but multiplying that by 4, 6, 8 etc really starts to add up. Couldn't see a reason to spend that much when I am optimistic about liking these others for $50 total.
WBCCI #1711
Old 07-22-2013, 03:20 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
Zavalla , Texas
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1090764743.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	432.2 KB
ID:	191440

Progress so far --- previous owner cut the panel at center vent making it easy to drop.

Of course, this is totally unnecessary to only install the fan.
WBCCI #1711
Old 07-22-2013, 04:31 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Fort Bragg , North Carolina
CA TAllguy,
I'm in the process of replacing the three fans in our 31 foot International with three FF and 18 of the deep recessed Bright White (DRBW) PREMIUM FLUSH MOUNT 12BW LED B, that are sold by Airstream. The plan is to run them in sets of six (6) three each side. Six (3 ea side) being up front in the front area, Six in the galley and we have a mid berth so the remaining six would be placed in that area, with these being the white light. All would be on their own dimmer switch in the three areas.

I was initially going to go with white lights and only brights LED in the galley but with the dimmer switch it was recommended to go with the bright white LEDs. I can always switch them out as we go as to what works.

I've been in the newer Airstreams with the bright LEDs and the aluminum insides really benefit the LEDs we'll see if the old style white zolatone paint does the same.

Not a cheap upgrade when you do the math, but I did get the fans on sale at a very good price and the dealer did me real good due to the purchase of the order of lights.

The old 1156's have served their purpose and I just like to see what I'm grabbing during the day nevertheless at night. Once we get them installed later this fall, we'll post some pictures as we're not going to slow down this summer to get it done.

Thanks for all the insight on the fans and lights. We'll give you our side of the story.

SL4BLLT
SL4BLLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 04:47 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
Zavalla , Texas
Wow, that's a lot of lights! I know the look you are talking about in the rows and I do really think it looks classy. If I went with lumitec or recessed lights I would have wanted 6 or 8 in my living room area for that effect. The 3 led lights I decided upon are supposedly pretty bright so I opted to go just for the four. That also cuts down the number of holes.

Finally, a 2x2 configuration works sell for spacing as one light will be in each void between ribs and over the corresponding window in my trailer. Spacing out 3 on each side would have meant optimal spacing would have out the middle one directly on a rib. I'm sure I could have fudged the spacing to work it out but I get really weird about that kind of geometry. Four on each side would space out nicely in my configuration, however.
WBCCI #1711
Old 07-23-2013, 05:02 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Fort Bragg , North Carolina
We'll be smart about is and get the measurements right. Based on the ribs, the distance from the from end cap to the rear sliding door nine (9) lights per side work out to be about 2 feet apart. Based on the diameter of the recessed light that will be the true measurement. We'll make sure we measure twice before we cut once, drill in this case for sure.

The number sounds like allot but after being in a few new ones I was amazed at how many LED's lights are in the new Airstreams.

We'll keep you posted.

SL4BLLT
SL4BLLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:55 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
Zavalla , Texas
That's the trick... Getting the nerve up to lock it in with the cuts! My new lights are here and so far I keep thinking it over and over....
WBCCI #1711
Old 07-25-2013, 10:28 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
Zavalla , Texas
Wow it is a lot of work getting the old fan out! There has to be 40+ rivets around the old vent! (Estimating 10 per side but now I am going to have to count 'em)

And the old vulkem! Whew! (I actually ended up with a sunburn in an awkward place due to my shirt riding up for the long time I was hunched over up there.)

I started drilling out the rivets but decided to finish installing my new pop up satellite dish first as it is close to the vent and the old vent looks like it adds substantial stiffening around that hole. If I knew how to weld aluminum I'd be tempted to make a square frame for the new fan to try to keep it similar. Overkill really, but this new motorized sat dish next to it is quite a bit of weight, so I'd feel better.
WBCCI #1711