Old 07-22-2013, 05:47 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
Zavalla , Texas
Wow, that's a lot of lights! I know the look you are talking about in the rows and I do really think it looks classy. If I went with lumitec or recessed lights I would have wanted 6 or 8 in my living room area for that effect. The 3 led lights I decided upon are supposedly pretty bright so I opted to go just for the four. That also cuts down the number of holes.

Finally, a 2x2 configuration works sell for spacing as one light will be in each void between ribs and over the corresponding window in my trailer. Spacing out 3 on each side would have meant optimal spacing would have out the middle one directly on a rib. I'm sure I could have fudged the spacing to work it out but I get really weird about that kind of geometry. Four on each side would space out nicely in my configuration, however.

WBCCI #1711
Texas Gulf Coast Unit, Texas Airstream Harbor
Angelina National Forest, Zavalla, TX
CA_Tallguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:02 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Fort Bragg , North Carolina
We'll be smart about is and get the measurements right. Based on the ribs, the distance from the from end cap to the rear sliding door nine (9) lights per side work out to be about 2 feet apart. Based on the diameter of the recessed light that will be the true measurement. We'll make sure we measure twice before we cut once, drill in this case for sure.

The number sounds like allot but after being in a few new ones I was amazed at how many LED's lights are in the new Airstreams.

We'll keep you posted.

SL4BLLT

Old 07-23-2013, 09:55 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
Zavalla , Texas
That's the trick... Getting the nerve up to lock it in with the cuts! My new lights are here and so far I keep thinking it over and over....
WBCCI #1711
Old 07-25-2013, 11:28 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
Zavalla , Texas
Wow it is a lot of work getting the old fan out! There has to be 40+ rivets around the old vent! (Estimating 10 per side but now I am going to have to count 'em)

And the old vulkem! Whew! (I actually ended up with a sunburn in an awkward place due to my shirt riding up for the long time I was hunched over up there.)

I started drilling out the rivets but decided to finish installing my new pop up satellite dish first as it is close to the vent and the old vent looks like it adds substantial stiffening around that hole. If I knew how to weld aluminum I'd be tempted to make a square frame for the new fan to try to keep it similar. Overkill really, but this new motorized sat dish next to it is quite a bit of weight, so I'd feel better.

WBCCI #1711