Old 07-12-2009, 04:17 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member
1992 34' Limited
Grand Island , Nebraska
TurboMaxx answers needed

I need help with a decision about vents. The front vent has failed and has been wired shut and the galley vent motor is on its way out. Camping World has two TurboMaxx vents on sale, one with thermostat and one without (Model 1200T and Model 3550). Here are my questionsó

1. Since I donít have thermostats on my present vents, will I get $40.00 benefit from opting for the thermostat models ($189 vs $220)?

2. The shape of the TurboMaxx being as it is, do I have clearance enough to install one in the galley vent due to the closeness of the opening from the A/C? I measure only 4Ē between the A/C and the ceiling opening. Iím assuming that the downward facing fan is pointed toward the rear of the trailer. Correct me if I'm wrong.

3. Iím above average with handyman abilities. Is self-install very difficult? I do have a friend, a former RV tech who I think I can hire if you think it beyond me (keep in mind Iím a healthy 74 year-old).

4. There isnít much information on the CW site. Is the fan reversible?

5 Original vent locations have lights. Will I still be able to have them?

6. Given the shape of the Airstream, does the TurboMaxx fit well?

Thanks for your help.

'92 Limited 34ft (now sold); '96 Dodge Cummins 4X2, 5speed
genearnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 08:58 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member
1992 34' Limited
Grand Island , Nebraska
I still could use some help!

'92 Limited 34ft (now sold); '96 Dodge Cummins 4X2, 5speed
genearnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 09:34 AM   #3
Rivet Master
1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
The Turbo Maxx vent cover and fan is 32.5" from the front of the vent to the rear. The means it will need 32-19 or 13 inches of clearance to the rear.

As you can see from the product's home page, the fan is reversible.

I've got a similar problem with a kitchen vent on a '75 that has a plastic center that has cracked. I was thinking of replacing the vent with a Maxx Air but the clearance to the rear doesn't look good for that either. It also strikes me that there is a need for some clearance to help air flow as well. So then I looked at the front vent and noticed the TV antenna might be a problem ...

The Turbo Maxx should not have any impact at all on the inside vent cover and light situation except that you'll need to tap the power line for the vent fan. You may need to do a bit of finagling in placing the controls, though.

The Maxx Air vents and covers seem well made and do a good job. There is some speculation about the design restricting air flow a bit but, to me, the benefit of not having to worry about rain incursion is worth a bit.

also- I think a thermostat is worthwhile. I set it to 90-95 or so when not using during the summer and it helps keep the heat buildup down. It has also served useful in shutting the fan down at night after things have cooled down so I can leave it on and not worrying about getting up in the middle of the night to keep the desert cold nights from getting too chilly.
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote