Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Roof Vents, Skylights & Fans
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-17-2010, 10:06 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
ARLINGTON , TEXAS
Send a message via Skype™ to WILDRTEXAS
Tootie, toot. Exaust fan replacement.

I am replacing the 70's original water heater bath cabinet with a custom cabinet. The original exhaust fan is dead and I need suggestions on a replacement that is fairly small and cabinet mounted. Any suggestions? Thanks all!
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion...

Taylor 1/20/96 - 11/28/08

WILDRTEXAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 11:58 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
The fan in my 73 is underwhelming in performance, I can't imagine what they were thinking! The original resembles a 'Bilge' fan - there are many newer style in-line 12VDC bilge fans on eBay with a 3 and 4 inch round flex duct set-up...
Old 04-17-2010, 07:54 PM   #3
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Hiya!

I dunno if they are powerful enough, but those "muffin" style computer fans are sure a good price, and most of them are purty quiet too. I wonder if you could use the same cover. I'm assuming it's like mine, a sorta chrome ring with a silvery screen innit.

Unless mebbe you WANT to have a noisy fan in there...
Old 04-17-2010, 08:19 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabbiteer View Post
The fan in my 73 is underwhelming in performance, I can't imagine what they were thinking! The original resembles a 'Bilge' fan - there are many newer style in-line 12VDC bilge fans on eBay with a 3 and 4 inch round flex duct set-up...
That "exhaust fan" was designed to remove the bathroom odors, QUICKLY.

Everthing Airstream ever did, has a reason, "usually".

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 08:52 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
Argh, two points for the pun? "Muffin" fans can't stand back pressure so no handling any back drafts from weather or restrictive duct work, etc. If you want extreme flow from the existing set up go with a remote mount inline 120VAC bathroom fan - a premium top of the line product...

And a two-inch wide two-inch diameter squirrel cage fan spun up by a slower 12VDC motor with a intake screen and duct work doesn't move anything fast - but in a closed trailer it might keep someones on-the-pot Chesterfield or Pall-Mall from smoking up the Loo when the interior door is closed...
Old 04-17-2010, 09:23 PM   #6
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
Computer muffin fans are not all the same; they range in performance from under 30 cfm to over 200 cfm, w/ current draws to match.

Something like this should take care of things...

These aren't designed for heavily condensing environments; if you're fond of protracted hot showers, you may find you need to replace 'em once in a while... but at $10 apiece, that's manageable.

Some people like noisy fans in the bathroom; this one is prob. loud for a computer fan, but quiet compared to a stock fan.

I'm thinking about making a better kitchen exhaust fan w/ two of these....

- Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 10:22 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Ponderay , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by barts View Post
I'm thinking about making a better kitchen exhaust fan w/ two of these....

- Bart
If you replace the kitchen fan please post pics, the fan is way too loud in ours.

Thanks,

Leslie
Tincrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 05:09 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Might work for you:

Item # M-5490, Fan on Orr & Orr, Inc.

And there's this style out there you could adapt with a flex duct:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MARIN...ssoriesQ5fGear
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 09:01 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
ARLINGTON , TEXAS
All good ideas...
Barts, Id like to see a kitchen exhaust fan too.
Ganglin, that is the type I removed from my 70. I had no idea they were still made. I searched everything I knew and found nothing like the original. Thanks for the links and the thoughts.
If anyone has any ideas for a kitchen exhaust fan, Leslie and I need ideas.
That said, I am not replacing the kitchen bulkhead. What I need is simple round exhaust fan for the 6" hole that was left after demolition. You know, "like back in the day" when they just had a metal pull chain with small motor and a flap.
THANKS ALL!! Cynthia
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion...

Old 04-18-2010, 10:43 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Ponderay , Idaho
Thanks for the ideas. Ours is the original fan in the exhaust hood, (a newer trailer). If it would be possible to just reduce the speed it might be enough to reduce the noise. I really hate the noise, you can't even carry on a conversation in the trailer when that thing is running.
Tincrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 11:10 AM   #11
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tincrew View Post
Thanks for the ideas. Ours is the original fan in the exhaust hood, (a newer trailer). If it would be possible to just reduce the speed it might be enough to reduce the noise. I really hate the noise, you can't even carry on a conversation in the trailer when that thing is running.
This should do what you want... (I've never dealt w/ these folks, though). There are also lots of inexpensive kits to do this out there if you know someone who is handy w/ a soldering iron.

- Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 11:11 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDRTEXAS View Post
All good ideas...

What I need is simple round exhaust fan for the 6" hole that was left after demolition. You know, "like back in the day" when they just had a metal pull chain with small motor and a flap.
THANKS ALL!! Cynthia
Vintage Trailer Supply has one like that (RV Sidewall Exhaust Fan), but there is one difference. They are 11½" rather than 6". I've never seen one that small with the pull chain and flap.

In my Excella, I have a Ventline (Ventline Van Vent - Powered 65734 - $67.95 : ODMRV , Out-of-Doors Mart) that fits in a 6" to 6½" opening.
Old 04-18-2010, 07:46 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDRTEXAS View Post
All good ideas...
Barts, Id like to see a kitchen exhaust fan too.
Ganglin, that is the type I removed from my 70. I had no idea they were still made. I searched everything I knew and found nothing like the original. Thanks for the links and the thoughts.
If anyone has any ideas for a kitchen exhaust fan, Leslie and I need ideas.
That said, I am not replacing the kitchen bulkhead. What I need is simple round exhaust fan for the 6" hole that was left after demolition. You know, "like back in the day" when they just had a metal pull chain with small motor and a flap.
THANKS ALL!! Cynthia
What parts do you need? Are you down to an open hole and need the entire set up (interior/exterior covers) or would a replacement motor and fan blade work? It's 6 not 6 1/2?
Old 04-19-2010, 08:53 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
ARLINGTON , TEXAS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganglin View Post
What parts do you need? Are you down to an open hole and need the entire set up (interior/exterior covers) or would a replacement motor and fan blade work? It's 6 not 6 1/2?
Im down to just a hole in the ceiling in the kitchen. No original parts saved. Need the entire setup. The hole measures 5 1/4" ID.
Thank You. Cynthia

Old 04-19-2010, 09:51 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Lower price on the bath exhaust fan. Shipping is under $10.

JABSCO 3" Flexmount Blower - 105 CFM - 12v
Old 04-20-2010, 10:49 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
ARLINGTON , TEXAS
Quote:
Lower price on the bath exhaust fan. Shipping is under $10.

JABSCO 3" Flexmount Blower - 105 CFM - 12v
Ganglin, Thanks, thats great...
You seem to be in the know, can you help with a kitchen fan???
Best, Cynthia

Old 04-20-2010, 11:31 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
I've been thinking about that.

Your opening is in the curve of the roof line correct - like mine...?

Did you keep the cover that went on the outside..?

The problem with retrofitting one of the old pull chain types is (from what I can tell so far) getting the correct size parts. Then - how do we keep it from leaking given the style and where it is on the roof line. How do you conform that style to the curved shape, etc, etc....

I'll keep thinking about it but it may require some jerry riggin.... ;-)
Old 04-20-2010, 12:15 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
ARLINGTON , TEXAS
Gary, mine is on the curve too. I did save the exterior cover.
Its been so long ago that I did the demo, I cant remember what the old went a hood looked like. I think it was a box shape inside the bulkhead. I cant recall how it attached to the sidewall. It need not be a pull chain type. I was just trying to fill the hole without needing to build a bulkhead.I like simple and I like the open feeling w/o bulkheads. BONUS: Im not planning any interior cooking Cynthia

Old 04-20-2010, 01:10 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Quote:
BONUS: Im not planning any interior cooking
That helps but one never knows where a malororous event may occur that will require assisted removal....
Old 04-20-2010, 01:41 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
ARLINGTON , TEXAS
Quote:
That helps but one never knows where a malororous event may occur that will require assisted removal....
One NEVER knows ; + o