Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Roof Vents, Skylights & Fans
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-20-2007, 08:33 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Sevierville , Tennessee
Question To have or not to have...vent covers???

I have a 65" Overlander with three vent pipes which emerge through the roof. They are approx. 2" in diameter. My question is this.... Should they have a cover, and if so what style? I went to the Vintage Trailer Supply website and ordered three. When they came I notice I would need to remove the factory installed base around the pipe in order to install.

Do any of you have any thoughts on venting and do I really need covers? If so are there any out there in the market whcih I could order that would not require I remove the original flange around the extisting pipe?

Thanks a bunch!
Director
Director is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 10:09 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Director
I have a 65" Overlander with three vent pipes which emerge through the roof. They are approx. 2" in diameter. My question is this.... Should they have a cover, and if so what style? I went to the Vintage Trailer Supply website and ordered three. When they came I notice I would need to remove the factory installed base around the pipe in order to install.

Do any of you have any thoughts on venting and do I really need covers? If so are there any out there in the market whcih I could order that would not require I remove the original flange around the extisting pipe?

Thanks a bunch!
Director
I have some comments on this subject. Yes you need vents. On my '65 one is for the black tank and one is for the gray water drain system. They prevent odors from the sewer system from entering your trailer. I took off my old vent pipe seals and installed the VTS vent pipe seals.

Yes you need covers,
The seals from VTS , if installed properly, will cure any rain water leaks around the vent pipes. My old vent pipe seals leaked badly to the point where I had to replace the tops of both closets and part of one wall.

You may have to replace a section of pipe to get it to snug up inside the new cover.

One thing I wish I had done before I had put them on is trim them to make them round rather than square.

Don't forget to put some screen over top of the pipe before you put the new cover on. It will keep debris and critters out of the pipe. I used SS screen.

I am assuming that since you have a '65, you have the same covers I did. They are sort of flat and relied on a piece of rubber to seal around the pipe. I would get rid of them, but thats my .o2 .
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 01:25 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Sevierville , Tennessee
Vent covers.. thanks Chris

Chris, I guess that I will go ahead and install the covers I ordered from VTS. I will just need to be certain that I seal them well before screwing it to the roof. Actually the ones I ordered are round, so they look pretty original. I like the idea of placing stainless screeen over the top before installing. I guess I could hold that on with a couple of small ss screws.
Thanks again.
Director
Director is offline   Reply With Quote