Old 06-12-2008, 01:10 PM   #15
Rivet Master
1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
How do you get power to the powered vents?

crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 01:17 PM   #16
Rivet Master
1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
In the case of my Tradewind, one vent has a powered fan. For the others, you tap in to the 12 volt power of the lights adjacent the vent opening.

Cameron & the Labradors
Kai & Samm
North Vancouver, BC
AIR #11529
Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! - Mame Dennis
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 01:24 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Fantastic Fans run on your battery. If your old vent had a fan, then the wiring is already there. If it didn't have a may also already be there in newer trailers - alot of them were pre-wired. If there isn't power, then you can run it in the ceiling down the wall without too much trouble if there isn't a ceiling light nearby. We just ran Romex for our second fan in our Safari across the ceiling and down the wall. I was really surprised how easy it was...I was expecting cross member supports (running the length of the trailer in the ceiling) interfering...but there were none.

You'll most likely will have to remove your old vent/fan in order to tell it it is pre-wired or there are other accessible wires nearby.

As an alternate, you could attend an International or Regional WBCCI Rally - Fantastic Fan always has reps & installers there to install them for rally attendees. That's what we did with our first one.

Vintage Airstream Club - Past President 2007/2008
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 04:41 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member
2006 25' Safari FB SE
Peoria , Arizona
What can we expect to pay to have the bedroom vent replaced with a Fantastic Fan in a 2006 Safari 25 FB? Since the vent is there now, does that mean the wiring is accessible for a Fantastic Fan?
AZ-JH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 09:13 PM   #19
Site Team
1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Originally Posted by AZ-JH View Post
What can we expect to pay to have the bedroom vent replaced with a Fantastic Fan in a 2006 Safari 25 FB? Since the vent is there now, does that mean the wiring is accessible for a Fantastic Fan?

This video gives you a good idea of the complexity level required.

YouTube - Airstream Restoration - 04-2 Vent Fans

I don't have a platform scissor lift, so my issue would be the need to not come crashing through the roof.

It's not rocket surgery, but you need to be comfortable with cutting the aluminum roof and inner skin. I know that's not for everyone.
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 10:20 PM   #20
Rivet Master
Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
Originally Posted by InsideOut View Post
We have one Fantastic Fan installed on our GlobeTrotter and two ready to be installed on our Safari. The GlobeTrotter's lid is smoked plexi and the Safari's are the grey - they didn't have the solid grey when we ordered the one.

The only two complaints I have are:

1) the plexi one is over our bed and lets campground lights in from above at night - it hits right on our heads.
2) the thermostat/automatic setting is very sensitive to moisture. It cycles on/off all night with heavy dew and is pretty noisy. So we don't really use it.

We will be replacing the plexi one with a grey one on the GT once we are finished with the Safari. The lids are not interchangeable, I asked.

Shari - so what you're saying is you will have a slightly used Fantastic fan available at a fantastic price?

AIR 12256
Currently Looking
2001 Dodge Ram 1500
2001 Honda XR650R
Currently Looking...for an Avion Truck Camper (or a Classic Argosy MoHo)

"In regione caecorum rex est luscus." GP
GreatPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote