Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Roof Vents, Skylights & Fans
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-29-2011, 05:04 AM   #101
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
CTDAIR - THIS THREAD IS WORTHLESS WITHOUT PICS!

For those of you who have mounted the new skylight - do you have some sort of shade that can be pulled closed?

BTW - a heat gun can help with loosening up old sealant.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 10:02 AM   #102
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyboy View Post
CTDAIR - THIS THREAD IS WORTHLESS WITHOUT PICS!

For those of you who have mounted the new skylight - do you have some sort of shade that can be pulled closed?

BTW - a heat gun can help with loosening up old sealant.
I don't know if all trailers are constructed the same, but on ours the shade is part of the interior and remains in place when the exterior of the sky light is replaced. The only thing that is replaced is the cheap plastic outer part of the skylight that is glued and/or screwed into place.

Did you read the whole thread? there are a lot of pictures especially in the early posts. The only things that are going to vary from one installation to another is the tint of the lexan and the color of the frame anodizing.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 04:35 PM   #103
4 Rivet Member

Looks like my reply was already posted above as that was the same answer I was going to give.
S/OS #010
2004 30ft Slide Out with Hensley Arrow hitch.
Pulled by a 2019 F350 Superduty Limited.
ctdair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 10:28 PM   #104
3 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
_ , North Carolina
The weather was very nice this weekend so I decided to put one of the two Maxim skylights in. Tools used was my drill, two wire brush attachments for the drill, wire brush, scrapper, shop vac, broom, screw driver, ratchet with 10mm head, 10x1 1/4 self tapping hex screws, washers with neoprene, tin foil to cover the open skylight when stripping the old sealant, acetone, Sikaflex 715 sealant, and of course beer.

First thing was to pull off the old skylight, and wow it is cheap and flimsy.

Stripped out the old sealant with a scrapper and then used the drill with wire brush attachments to strip the majority of the old sealant off, it's big time saver.

Took a break to enjoy the view from the roof. I full time in Pensacola, FL.

After stripping everything I used blue painters tape to make everything a little neater. Spread sealant all over, and around where the screws will go.

Put the new skylight on top, the fit is perfect.

Everything is sealed, including the screws going into the side.

Picture from inside, the finished result. The light looks great, and the skylight now looks just nicer.

Pics of the front one to follow when the weather is nice again. Feel free to send a message if you want more info on the install.
FLMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 07:25 PM   #105
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
With the bronze skylight can you see the stars at night? Anyone do this in white or grey yet? And is the mill finish shown in the above pictures or is that the clear anodized?
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 11:37 PM   #106
Rivet Master

So you want to see stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by reinergirl View Post
With the bronze skylight can you see the stars at night? Anyone do this in white or grey yet? And is the mill finish shown in the above pictures or is that the clear anodized?
There are three panels in the skylight. Each can be tinted as you wish. On ours, we have all 3 clear (no tint) So we can see the stars no problem. My idea is that if it is too bright in the day time, we can and do close the skylight shade. We also had the frame anodized silver, because we felt it better matched the other things on the roof. our solar panel frames are silver. There are other frame color options available.

One other difference with ours:
Because the original skylights in an Airstream have a flat bottom pane, they had been making all the replacements for Airstreams with a flat bottom pane. Most of the other skylights they make for other uses have all 3 panels domed. When they made ours they accidentally made all 3 domed. They offered to redo them, but I actually prefer them. They allow better access to clean around the inside edges.

Ken
Old 10-07-2011, 11:14 PM   #107
3 Rivet Member

_ , North Carolina
I can't see the majority of the stars with the tint, but if I want to look at stars I open the door and walk outside. To me since I am full timing in Northwest Florida I wanted to cut down on the heat coming into the trailer during the summer and cut down on the heat leaving during the winter. The difference is amazing compared to the stock during the day. Before, even with insulated foil taped in and the shade pulled the heat transferred inside was still high. Now I can leave the shade open during the day and the heat transfer is much much less than the stock skylight with the shade drawn and foil insulation.

The finish I got was the Mil finish since I thought it matched the Airstream the best.
Old 10-07-2011, 11:42 PM   #108
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLMarine View Post
I can't see the majority of the stars with the tint, but if I want to look at stars I open the door and walk outside. To me since I am full timing in Northwest Florida I wanted to cut down on the heat coming into the trailer during the summer and cut down on the heat leaving during the winter. The difference is amazing compared to the stock during the day. Before, even with insulated foil taped in and the shade pulled the heat transferred inside was still high. Now I can leave the shade open during the day and the heat transfer is much much less than the stock skylight with the shade drawn and foil insulation.

The finish I got was the Mil finish since I thought it matched the Airstream the best.
Keep in mind, that a certain percentage of the decrease in heat transfer is due to the much thicker pane material and the volume of the two sealed dead air spaces. Maybe some bored physics major can figure what percentage each contributes. I could probably do it. I have a atmospheric sciences degree, but I also have a life.

I'm enough of a geek to think of this stuff but not enough of a one to actually try to calculate it.

Ken
Old 10-08-2011, 06:53 PM   #109
3 Rivet Member

_ , North Carolina
Exactly why I bought them. Can't say enough about the Maxims.
Old 10-16-2011, 07:08 PM   #110
4 Rivet Member

2006 31' Classic
Archer , Florida
We bought the bronze/bronze/clear for the aft skylight in the hallway toward the bedroom in our 31' classic but wanted to see the light effect before ordering the one for the main living/kitchen area forward. The double bronze cast a brown hue when the light shone through, which is fine in the area closest to the bedroom. However, in the living area, I wanted more natural light, so ordered bronze/Clear/Clear. We installed it this weekend and I really like the effect. That is the beauty of the Maxims- tell them what you want, and they make it to your specs- you don't have to settle for what is on the shelf. The quality is superb and they are wonderful to deal with. I will post pictures to show the difference in light transmission when I get the right day to snap a shot....
Flying Gypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 07:57 PM   #111

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Incline Village , Nevada
Waiting for my Maxim Bronze/Bronze/Clear w/ clear anodized frame. Pics of complete install to follow. I'm holding out the rain w/ an extendable pole and blue tarp cam strapped to the flashing- 3 inches today!
platerwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 06:36 PM   #112
2 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Gerlach , Nevada
Send a message via Yahoo to Tazameir Send a message via Skype™ to Tazameir
Great thread guys.. I also plan on doing some replacements on my roof.. Good to learn in advance!
C.
1965 Safari - 1987 F250 4x4 | Member Black Rock Desert Rats 4x4 club | AIR #53724 | TAC NV-3
1997-Current Burningman Participant / 1999-Current Staff member.
--- Life is an endless stream of choices ---
Tazameir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 06:06 PM   #113
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Gypsies View Post
We bought the bronze/bronze/clear for the aft skylight in the hallway toward the bedroom in our 31' classic but wanted to see the light effect before ordering the one for the main living/kitchen area forward. The double bronze cast a brown hue when the light shone through, which is fine in the area closest to the bedroom. However, in the living area, I wanted more natural light, so ordered bronze/Clear/Clear. We installed it this weekend and I really like the effect. That is the beauty of the Maxims- tell them what you want, and they make it to your specs- you don't have to settle for what is on the shelf. The quality is superb and they are wonderful to deal with. I will post pictures to show the difference in light transmission when I get the right day to snap a shot....
I wonder if you would post a picture of the difference between the BBC and the BCC? That is, if the difference shows up on film? I am really torn between doing bronze layers of simply going clear all the way. Thanks...
Old 01-01-2012, 08:58 PM   #114
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
Austin , Texas
Adhesive/Sealant

Just wondering if anyone considered the 3M Marine Adhesive/Sealant Fast Cure 4000 UV. The UV resistance tag line caught my attention along with the 5200 being flagged to need a primer if adhearing to metal.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 3m.pdf (345.6 KB, 100 views)
PaulAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 05:09 AM   #115
4 Rivet Member

2006 31' Classic
Archer , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by reinergirl View Post
I wonder if you would post a picture of the difference between the BBC and the BCC? That is, if the difference shows up on film? I am really torn between doing bronze layers of simply going clear all the way. Thanks...

I tried to take a pic, but the auto settings on the camera didn't allow it to show the difference real well. I will try this weekend with another camera and put it on manual settings so hopefully it will show up. The best I can describe is that the Bronze/Bronze/ Clear casts a golden hue, while the Bronze/Clear/Clear gives a more natural light. I like having the darker one in the area closest to the sleeping area, but really like having the increased light in the kitchen/dining/living area. However, I AM the sort of person that does not especially like candlelight dinners as I like to see what I am eating!
Old 01-08-2012, 07:17 AM   #116
4 Rivet Member

2006 31' Classic
Archer , Florida
Br-Br-Cl vs Br-Cl-Cl

[QUOTE=reinergirl;1086742]I wonder if you would post a picture of the difference between the BBC and the BCC? That is, if the difference shows up on film? I am really torn between doing bronze layers of simply going clear all the way. Thanks...[/QUOTE

Here is my attempt to capture the feel of the two. The first is Bronze Clear Clear in the living area, the second is the Bronze Bronze Clear in the hallway by the bathroom and the third is both in same pic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1 Br-cl-cl living area.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	148503   Click image for larger version

Name:	2 Br-br-cl by bathroom.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	148504  

Click image for larger version

Name:	3 brbrcl foreground, brclcl living areain back ground.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	148505  
Old 01-09-2012, 07:04 PM   #117
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Thanks for posting! It helped confirmed my thought that I didn't want it to look too bronze! BCC it is!
Old 01-10-2012, 03:48 PM   #118
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
Austin , Texas
4200 UV wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulAir View Post
Just wondering if anyone considered the 3M Marine Adhesive/Sealant Fast Cure 4000 UV. The UV resistance tag line caught my attention along with the 5200 being flagged to need a primer if adhearing to metal.
Well, after more research and quoting myself, I'm going with the UV 4000 for the roof. The details on the UV designation on the product means that it will not YELLOW over time. The 5200 will yellow. It doesn't shrink. It is removed in the same maner as other adheasive/sealants with 3Ms Adheasive Remover. The same 3M Specialty Adhesive Remover-VOC Complaint (15 oz.) that I'm using to remove the existing stuff. My order to Maxim goes in this week.

Purchased the 4200 UV from www.jamestowndistributors.com for $12.20 each with a FLAT5 code for $5 shipping.
PaulAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 06:06 PM   #119
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
LONDON , ON
My 2007 27FB is in winter storage so I can't measure it, but can someone tell me what size my skylight is? I am pretty sure it is square. It has the pull across blind but I don't know the size.

Maxim isn't sure and says it is either 25.25 x 17.25 or it is 22.25 x 22.25. Obviously the 2nd one seems like the correct one but if someone could confirm for me that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
SilverCottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:34 PM   #120
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverCottage View Post
My 2007 27FB is in winter storage so I can't measure it, but can someone tell me what size my skylight is? I am pretty sure it is square. It has the pull across blind but I don't know the size.

Maxim isn't sure and says it is either 25.25 x 17.25 or it is 22.25 x 22.25. Obviously the 2nd one seems like the correct one but if someone could confirm for me that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Based on a bad experience, I would highly recommend that you measure the curb before ordering as the sky lights tolerances are close and Airstream's curb construction can be a bit out of alignment.

Ken

Tags
oem skylights, replace