Old 12-27-2011, 06:06 PM   #113
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Gypsies View Post
We bought the bronze/bronze/clear for the aft skylight in the hallway toward the bedroom in our 31' classic but wanted to see the light effect before ordering the one for the main living/kitchen area forward. The double bronze cast a brown hue when the light shone through, which is fine in the area closest to the bedroom. However, in the living area, I wanted more natural light, so ordered bronze/Clear/Clear. We installed it this weekend and I really like the effect. That is the beauty of the Maxims- tell them what you want, and they make it to your specs- you don't have to settle for what is on the shelf. The quality is superb and they are wonderful to deal with. I will post pictures to show the difference in light transmission when I get the right day to snap a shot....
I wonder if you would post a picture of the difference between the BBC and the BCC? That is, if the difference shows up on film? I am really torn between doing bronze layers of simply going clear all the way. Thanks...

reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 08:58 PM   #114
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
Austin , Texas
Adhesive/Sealant

Just wondering if anyone considered the 3M Marine Adhesive/Sealant Fast Cure 4000 UV. The UV resistance tag line caught my attention along with the 5200 being flagged to need a primer if adhearing to metal.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 3m.pdf (345.6 KB, 47 views)

Old 01-04-2012, 05:09 AM   #115
4 Rivet Member

2006 31' Classic
Archer , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by reinergirl View Post
I wonder if you would post a picture of the difference between the BBC and the BCC? That is, if the difference shows up on film? I am really torn between doing bronze layers of simply going clear all the way. Thanks...

I tried to take a pic, but the auto settings on the camera didn't allow it to show the difference real well. I will try this weekend with another camera and put it on manual settings so hopefully it will show up. The best I can describe is that the Bronze/Bronze/ Clear casts a golden hue, while the Bronze/Clear/Clear gives a more natural light. I like having the darker one in the area closest to the sleeping area, but really like having the increased light in the kitchen/dining/living area. However, I AM the sort of person that does not especially like candlelight dinners as I like to see what I am eating!
Old 01-08-2012, 07:17 AM   #116
4 Rivet Member

2006 31' Classic
Archer , Florida
Br-Br-Cl vs Br-Cl-Cl

[QUOTE=reinergirl;1086742]I wonder if you would post a picture of the difference between the BBC and the BCC? That is, if the difference shows up on film? I am really torn between doing bronze layers of simply going clear all the way. Thanks...[/QUOTE

Here is my attempt to capture the feel of the two. The first is Bronze Clear Clear in the living area, the second is the Bronze Bronze Clear in the hallway by the bathroom and the third is both in same pic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1 Br-cl-cl living area.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	148503   Click image for larger version

Name:	2 Br-br-cl by bathroom.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	148504  

Click image for larger version

Name:	3 brbrcl foreground, brclcl living areain back ground.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	148505  
Old 01-09-2012, 07:04 PM   #117
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Thanks for posting! It helped confirmed my thought that I didn't want it to look too bronze! BCC it is!
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 03:48 PM   #118
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
Austin , Texas
4200 UV wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulAir View Post
Just wondering if anyone considered the 3M Marine Adhesive/Sealant Fast Cure 4000 UV. The UV resistance tag line caught my attention along with the 5200 being flagged to need a primer if adhearing to metal.
Well, after more research and quoting myself, I'm going with the UV 4000 for the roof. The details on the UV designation on the product means that it will not YELLOW over time. The 5200 will yellow. It doesn't shrink. It is removed in the same maner as other adheasive/sealants with 3Ms Adheasive Remover. The same 3M Specialty Adhesive Remover-VOC Complaint (15 oz.) that I'm using to remove the existing stuff. My order to Maxim goes in this week.

Purchased the 4200 UV from www.jamestowndistributors.com for $12.20 each with a FLAT5 code for $5 shipping.
Old 01-10-2012, 06:06 PM   #119
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
LONDON , ON
My 2007 27FB is in winter storage so I can't measure it, but can someone tell me what size my skylight is? I am pretty sure it is square. It has the pull across blind but I don't know the size.

Maxim isn't sure and says it is either 25.25 x 17.25 or it is 22.25 x 22.25. Obviously the 2nd one seems like the correct one but if someone could confirm for me that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 01-10-2012, 10:34 PM   #120
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverCottage View Post
My 2007 27FB is in winter storage so I can't measure it, but can someone tell me what size my skylight is? I am pretty sure it is square. It has the pull across blind but I don't know the size.

Maxim isn't sure and says it is either 25.25 x 17.25 or it is 22.25 x 22.25. Obviously the 2nd one seems like the correct one but if someone could confirm for me that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Based on a bad experience, I would highly recommend that you measure the curb before ordering as the sky lights tolerances are close and Airstream's curb construction can be a bit out of alignment.

Ken
Old 01-11-2012, 08:31 AM   #121
Rivet Master

2008 27' International CCD FB
Boerne, TX / , Evergreen, CO
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia Send a message via Skype™ to Westfalia
Does anyone have the width of the curb material?

You should be able to measure from the inside if you remove the plastic trim. Just add the curb width x2 to for the final numbers.

My rigs lives in uncovered storage and I know my skylights will crumble if disturbed. Destructive removal just for measurement just won't work for me.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:44 AM   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westfalia View Post
Does anyone have the width of the curb material?

You should be able to measure from the inside if you remove the plastic trim. Just add the curb width x2 to for the final numbers.

My rigs lives in uncovered storage and I know my skylights will crumble if disturbed. Destructive removal just for measurement just won't work for me.

I'm guessing you won’t want to hear this, but I am going to say it for my own peace of conscience.

These skylight curbs vary in exact dimensions, construction materials and construction methods from year to year, model to model and perhaps from trailer to trailer.

I made the mistake of ordering what Maxim said were the stock skylights. They both were too small by a fraction of an inch. Luckily Maxim agreed to replace them at no cost because they had advised me that it was not necessary to measure them. The second ones are nearly too small because it turns out the corners of the curbs are not exactly 90 degrees. I doubt they will replace any more for free.

For these reasons, I strongly urge you to cut covers to fit over the holes out of plywood Plexiglas or such. Remove the old skylights. Accurately check the outside measurements and verify that the corners are square with a framing square or the like. Then cover the openings and tape the covers in place.

Just my advice,

Ken
Old 01-12-2012, 08:21 AM   #123
Rivet Master

No, that is great advice and sound judgement. I hadn't though much about the hole not being square. I guess I'll just have to make plans for the top to be open for an extended time. What was the turn around time on the new skylights?
Old 01-12-2012, 09:00 AM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westfalia View Post
No, that is great advice and sound judgement. I hadn't though much about the hole not being square. I guess I'll just have to make plans for the top to be open for an extended time. What was the turn around time on the new skylights?
It was approximately a week. If I remember correctly, They were finished about 3 days after I placed the order and then a few more days for shipping. One thing is for sure, they were well worth the investment.

Ken
Old 02-05-2012, 09:16 AM   #125
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2012 25' Flying Cloud
2007 20' Safari SE
Fuquay Varina , North Carolina
Skylight replace

We just picked up our 2012 25ft. Rear BR Flying Cloud-owned a 2007 20ft.Safari SE for 5 years. After reading this entire thread I am of the opinion that we should go ahead and replace the skylight(only one in this model) with the BCC Maxim. Any thoughts are appreciated.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:18 AM   #126
Rivet Master

Do it now or do it later. The stock skylights WILL fail within 2-3 years. Any resulting water leaks should be avoided now.

Tags
oem skylights, replace