Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Roof Vents, Skylights & Fans
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-24-2013, 11:47 AM   #141

1996 32' Cutter Bus
Petaluma , California
Hey SuperTrouper! I'm working on my Maxim Skylight install on my Airstream in Petaluma right now. I'm about a mile west of the KOA.

Here's the link for anybody who would like to see my updates on installing one of these on a fiberglass Airstream motorhome.

Hope it went well!
AdamB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:06 PM   #142
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Petaluma , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamB View Post
Hey SuperTrouper! I'm working on my Maxim Skylight install on my Airstream in Petaluma right now. I'm about a mile west of the KOA.

Here's the link for anybody who would like to see my updates on installing one of these on a fiberglass Airstream motorhome.

Hope it went well!
Hi Adam B.,

Yes it all went well. The best part was not climbing on the roof and then waving at Vinnie while he was up there! We moved the AS to home for the work and Vinnie came by. I know Vinnie posted some pictures on his company's FB page and hopefully will add here as well. He had stopped by while I was working on the floor at KOA and we got the measurements for the skylights some time ago. I'm very happy that I won't have to worry about leaky skylights again! Good luck on your skylight install!

Brad

- Brad
SuperTrouper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 02:26 PM   #143
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Cleveland , Tennessee
Hey SuperTrouper:
glad your replacements went well (as well as anyone else that has crossed that bridge), I've been watching this thread for awhile b/c mine are starting to crack where they were screwed down too tight, and I know that project will be in my future also! I think when that project comes due, I'll just happen to plan a trip to the west coast, not quite sure where, but I'm sure it will be somewhere near "Vinnies". Coincidently, I grew up in Sonoma!

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there." Lewis Carroll

AIR #38011
TAC TN-4
NOVA
Steelegood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 03:44 PM   #144
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
everyone comments that the screws were installed too tight. Maybe, but just as likely that it is simply the wrong way to install. There is about a 300% difference in the expansion rates of aluminum and the plastic. If you screw it down through holes like they do it will fail. Notice that in the Maxim construction the plastic can expand (it is not restrained except by the gasket). Just saying that it is not necessarily the installers fault at Airstream.
Al

TAC ON-3
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:30 AM   #145
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Got my new ordered. Hope post pics.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:56 AM   #146
Rivet Master

Petaluma , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelegood View Post
Hey SuperTrouper:
glad your replacements went well (as well as anyone else that has crossed that bridge), I've been watching this thread for awhile b/c mine are starting to crack where they were screwed down too tight, and I know that project will be in my future also! I think when that project comes due, I'll just happen to plan a trip to the west coast, not quite sure where, but I'm sure it will be somewhere near "Vinnies". Coincidently, I grew up in Sonoma!
Hi Steelgood,

As much as I'm happy Vinnie install them and happy he's close by when I need him, the Maxim install can be an owner project and is actually easier than replacing the OEM as the Maxim has rigid structure and is quality built. I installed the OEM replacement and the flimsy plastic and "one size fits all" philosophy works against you in your effort to install and seal it for the long term without cracking the plastic. If Airstream is listening, I think they could remove one of their common maintenance and warranty issues if they just spec'd or offered Maxims in production. As far as Sonoma goes, Jah Mon! I'm a midwest boy (Minnesota) transplanted to NYC for 25 years. We've been out here 7years and we ain't lookin' back! What a beautiful and bountiful place!

Hope to meet you in any case when you return to Sonoma.

Brad

- Brad
Old 03-31-2013, 08:58 AM   #147
Rivet Master

Petaluma , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
everyone comments that the screws were installed too tight. Maybe, but just as likely that it is simply the wrong way to install. There is about a 300% difference in the expansion rates of aluminum and the plastic. If you screw it down through holes like they do it will fail. Notice that in the Maxim construction the plastic can expand (it is not restrained except by the gasket). Just saying that it is not necessarily the installers fault at Airstream.
Al
Your're right, Its just a weak design waiting (or destined) to fail.

Brad

- Brad
Old 03-31-2013, 07:39 PM   #148
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Cleveland , Tennessee
Hey BigAl:

How are ya! Not to hijack the thread, but I think we met at the Dogwood & Bluegrass rally in KY a few years ago! Cooking anything in the DO lately?
Terry

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there." Lewis Carroll

AIR #38011
TAC TN-4
NOVA
Steelegood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:06 PM   #149
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
If the stock skylights are polycarbonate, the right way to put them in is to
drill oversized holes significantly larger than the fastener... and use a rubber washer & polyurethane caulk to prevent leaks. If the factory is driving them with self drilling screws w/o a necked down area under the head they will run into problems w/ expansion.

= Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:01 AM   #150
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Well, today is the day. The AS will have it's 7th birthday this spring and leaks are showing up in several locations after a long winter outdoors. I am not sure if the skylight is causing one of them, but, if I am going to work the roof for resealing, I might as well do the upgrade at the same time.

Question: Have any of you seen the skylight leak into the wall of the AS rather than just filling on top of the flat plastic skylight inner panel? I am seeing water on the horizontal wood piece inside the bath medicine cabinet. The vinyl padded ceiling ends at that location and I am of the opinion that water is getting between the padding and the ceiling. The water is only appearing directly in line with the skylight.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:01 AM   #151
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
LONDON , ON
I replaced our skylight with the Maxim 2 years ago after seeing water dripping from one of the halogen ceiling lights. When I pulled the light out, the insulation was wet so it appears the water was getting in there and spreading throughout the ceiling.
SilverCottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:07 AM   #152
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Thanks, SilverCottage,

It's been raining here every day so I can't get up on the roof, but I did get out the ladder and look at it from a distance. I think I can see some deteriorating sealer around the edge as well as the usual cracking of the skylight. I have no water in the skylight itself though.

Ordered the Maxims yesterday. Bronze, clear,clear with clear anodized frame. Should be here next week.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 04-10-2013, 07:56 AM   #153
3 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
_ , North Carolina
I replaced both my skylights with the maxim skylights and couldn't be happier with their quality. I also had a leak in my bathroom though I have a 27FB. Turns out it was the black tank vent's sealant that had cracked and was allowing water to leak in during heavy rain. I scrapped off the old sealant, cleaned the area with acetone, and resealed it with silkiflex. No leaks now. There are several threads on the black and grey tank vents that came from the factory with crappy sealant jobs. Mine was a 2009 and only lasted two years before it started to leak.
FLMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:22 AM   #154
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Thanks, FLMarine,

My vent pipe is on the opposite side of the trailer than the leak, so I don't think that's it.
What's the general consensus relative to sealer vs. Eternabond for roof to vent/skylight sealing? 2" or 4"?

Old 04-10-2013, 09:20 AM   #155
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Bingo! We have a winner:

It's been raining all day. Great for diagnosis. The rear edge of the rear skylight has been obviously leaking a little bit for some time by the looks of the wood block. But just started to leak badly enough to show up. Not even running to the floor level.

Three separate drip locations on this one.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130410_094223_925.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	182925

Decided to pull the front one. A fresh drip there. No discoloration of the block and no indication of a leak anywhere else up front.

Name:	IMG_20130410_095112_658.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	246.0 KB
ID:	182926

I am posting this so others may not rely on just seeing water filling the bottom pane of the skylight as an indicator of problems. And it pays to be diligent and observant whenever you even half way suspect somethng.

Old 04-21-2013, 12:13 PM   #156
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Just finished my install. Went just as Kevin laid out. Took a day an a half to replace the skylights, reseal the vents and TV and Radio antennas. I also hit every rivet on and bordering the white panels with Captain Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure. Found three suspect rivets. I think the stuff is worth the cost.

Old 04-21-2013, 01:44 PM   #157
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTrouper View Post
If Airstream is listening, I think they could remove one of their common maintenance and warranty issues if they just spec'd or offered Maxims in production.

Brad

I don't think they are interested.

I sent full details to my contact at JC a couple of years ago after I installed Maxims.

I got a reply back saying the info had been passed on to the appropriate people for consideration.

Unless there are other valid reasons not to go this route, I think that AS these days are too concerned with ways to reduce costs, not to
improve quality - even though the existing flimsy skylight arrangement is a known source of problems for many owners.

I suppose the number of warranty claims AS has to fund does not warrant their use of a more expensive product on all trailers.

You' d think they might at least offer Maxims as an option, but then, I suppose that would be admission that their standard arrangement is somewhat lacking!

I'm sure I was not the first to pass the Maxim info on to them.

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:57 PM   #158
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Holy crackuups and new Maxims

Name:	image-644965652.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	465.9 KB
ID:	184305

Name:	image-2833511612.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	464.9 KB
ID:	184306

Name:	image-3188981752.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	430.3 KB
ID:	184307
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 07:54 AM   #159
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
I ordered two Maxim skylights mid December. They arrived the first week of January. I have installed one of them and will soon begin installing the second one. They are far better quality than the original equipment skylights!

I have a few questions for those of you who have already installed them, since I did not get any installation instructions. I emailed Maxim two days ago requesting this information, but did not get a response yet.

There are hex head bolts around the perimeter of the frame, which hold the outer frame to the inner frame. The holes in the outer frame where the bolts go through are slotted. Are the slotted holes built that way so they can weep water from the inside? Did you seal these slots with caulk?
Old 01-16-2014, 08:08 AM   #160
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Hi Alan.

It's been awhile, but mine had bolts that went in from the vertical sides of the frame and attached to the existing AS curb through their vertical surface...or sides.

As I recall, the bolts passed through two aluminum surfaces that formed a u-channel of sorts. IIRC, I did not seal the outer frame holes, but only the AS curb holes, as I believe that there is no way to leak into the AS, except through the curb. Hope that makes sense.

EDIT: I stand corrected. I went back and looks at some of my pictures, and there are 4 bolts which attach to the top horizontal surface as well as the 8 on the sides.

I did not seal the heads and their mating surface. I did make sure that the top of the curb flange was well covered with sealer.

Tags
oem skylights, replace