Old 03-05-2011, 04:25 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
After reading this thread I am left wondering why everyone chose to use a curb mount unit instead of a self flashing style skylight? It looks like it would fit over the entire opening and curb flange and just be mounted around the whole area and screwed into the roof and caulked over the flange and screws.
What am I not considering?
I see both are offered by Maxim.
I wasn't aware of the other style, but even so, thinking about it quickly, I think I would rather have horizontal screws going into the curb rather than a bunch of new holes in the roof itself!

Also, if you just screwed it down to the roof, wouldn't you have to ensure that you hit rib flanges with the screws? I would have thought that the roof skin itself would have been substantially thinner then the curb - don't know that for a fact though.

Just my own quick reaction, give it a try and see how it works!

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 09:00 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
I wasn't aware of the other style, but even so, thinking about it quickly, I think I would rather have horizontal screws going into the curb rather than a bunch of new holes in the roof itself!

Also, if you just screwed it down to the roof, wouldn't you have to ensure that you hit rib flanges with the screws? I would have thought that the roof skin itself would have been substantially thinner then the curb - don't know that for a fact though.

Just my own quick reaction, give it a try and see how it works!

Brian

Brian, It is just something I noticed in one of the downloads on their products and wanted to know why no one has considered the other design.
The skylights on my trailer are in good shape, as far as I can tell, so I have no reason to change them out yet.

Thanks for your input, you have brought up a couple of good points as
to why the curb style is the skylight of choice.

Old 03-05-2011, 10:42 PM   #59
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
Brian, It is just something I noticed in one of the downloads on their products and wanted to know why no one has considered the other design.
The skylights on my trailer are in good shape, as far as I can tell, so I have no reason to change them out yet.

Thanks for your input, you have brought up a couple of good points as
to why the curb style is the skylight of choice.
I really never considered anything else. Not to say that some other solution might not work as well or maybe even better.

In retrospect, I am happy with the ease of the replacement and the results.

I am afraid I may have try to reinvented the wheel and ended up constructing it square rather than round.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:38 AM   #60
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Needham , Massachusetts
i have ordered a new sklight from Maxim and will follow Bambi Bandit's excellent instructions. I intend to use Sikaflex 715 to seal the bottom of the curb and Sikaflex 751UV to seal the screw holes that attach the skylight to the curb. But am not sure whether to use butyl tape or Sikaflex 221 to seal the top of the curb.

any comments/suggestions about these choices for sealants?
WBCCI #1521 New England Unit
07 25' International CCD FB
06 Chevy Duramax/Allison
hiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 08:38 AM   #61
Past Prez.NEU/Membership

2005 34' Classic
2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
N Smithfield , Rhode Island
Skylight.

Hello Mike and Joan.

So did we yesterday. 2 of them. Should have them next week and then wait for warm days. Maybe you guys should install them first and let us know what not to do.

Best

Titu.
2004 Yukon Denali
, 2016 GMC 2500 Denali-Duramax Diesel
WBCCI #2905-NEU

AirHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 09:01 AM   #62
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker View Post
i have ordered a new sklight from Maxim and will follow Bambi Bandit's excellent instructions. I intend to use Sikaflex 715 to seal the bottom of the curb and Sikaflex 751UV to seal the screw holes that attach the skylight to the curb. But am not sure whether to use butyl tape or Sikaflex 221 to seal the top of the curb.

any comments/suggestions about these choices for sealants?
I am picking up my skylights in dallas in two weeks time - saves taxes, duty shipping etc. when I take them home to Canada - sure hope they fit or I'll be stuck!

As for caulking, I have on hand quite a few cartridges of the sikaflex polyurethane sealer bought from JC on the way down here to Tucson. I have the two types they sell, I think I have white - 721(?) and gray(221)? not sure of the numbers.

Unless I hear strong recommendations otherwise, I was just thinking to use one of them.

I believe Ken suggested earlier that butyl tape might not be good as the skylight to curb top fit may not be all that flat. I'm not sure, but I haven't removed our existing skylights yet to see.

I was planning also to discuss with the Maxim folks when i visit to see if they have a favourite caulk and what they think about teh Sikaflex product.

I'm guessing it is not at all that critical.

keep us posted with what you decide and how it goes!

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Old 03-24-2011, 07:17 AM   #63
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Picked up our new Maxim skylights yesterday at the factory in Dallas.

I didn't get to see them as they had them very well wrapped in cardboard for me to take home to Ontario in the back of our truck.

From some samples that I saw in their showroom however, there is absolutely no comparison with the flimsy originals installed on the trailer.

I think this will be a good upgrade!

We are camping for a few days at the nearby Vineyards campground in Grapevine Tx. Run by the town of Grapevine, it is a very nice spot being combined with a marina on the shore of Lake Grapevine, midway between Dallas & Fort Worth,

Will be heading in to check out the Historic Stockyards District in FW today, then on to spend a few days in Branson Mo. before heading home for 01 April!

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Old 03-28-2011, 09:21 AM   #64
2 Rivet Member

1994 25' Excella
Los Angeles , California
I just installed my Maxim skylight. I got the triple bronze glass version and compared to the flimsy original, it looks veritably bomb proof. Plus, no screw holes facing the sky.

I used a leftover tube of Seamermate for the curb and around the screws on the sides. Iīd be extremely surprised if this setup needs another look in 15 years.

Thanks Bambi Bandit!
Old 03-28-2011, 10:35 AM   #65
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Pulaski , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by godaddy64 View Post
I just installed my Maxim skylight. I got the triple bronze glass version and compared to the flimsy original, it looks veritably bomb proof. Plus, no screw holes facing the sky.

I used a leftover tube of Seamermate for the curb and around the screws on the sides. Iīd be extremely surprised if this setup needs another look in 15 years.

Thanks Bambi Bandit!
Please post some photos of inside and outside installation.
07' Classic 31, 11' Dodge 3500 Cummins
au_ee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 03:23 PM   #66
2 Rivet Member

1994 25' Excella
Los Angeles , California
OK, here's a couple of snapshots:

I used 1" long #10 self-tapping screws with washers from roofing screws. Coulda used an even shorter screw. 3/4" would have been more than enough on my particular AS.

I was not shy with the Seamermate around the screws on the outside.

VoilŠ: No more Mr. Leaky for now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0611.jpg
Views:	981
Size:	229.0 KB
ID:	125569   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0607.jpg
Views:	974
Size:	165.6 KB
ID:	125570  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0604.jpg
Views:	971
Size:	193.9 KB
ID:	125571  
Old 03-29-2011, 05:30 AM   #67
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Nice thread, nice work by all. Bookmarked.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 06:58 AM   #68
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Great pics Godaddy!

I am here in Branson Mo. right now on our way home from Tucson. My two new skylights, picked up from Maxim in Dallas and well wrapped in cardboard are in the back of the pickup - a project for when we get home!

I have bought one inch #12 self tappers to install the skylights. I note your comment about even shorter ones possibly being fine.

I wonder - can you see the screw points sticking in from inside the trailer? I am hoping that they will be hidden from view!

As for sealant, I was planning to just use the sikkaflex polyurethane sealant that I have on hand for general caulking of the trailer - hope that will be suitable for the purpose.

Thanks again for posting those pics!

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Old 03-29-2011, 07:16 AM   #69
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Application for Vintage?

After looking through these posts, I wonder if there may be an application for vintage trailers? For $150~ I can replace my astrodome cover with a new single pane lexan. How nice would it be though to be able to order one of these, and mount it in such a way that I could open and close it. It seems the skylight is mounted on a frame that would allow me to open and close it, and I could use EPDM foam for the seal.

For those of you that have it, what do you think? Could it work - maybe if the mitered corners were welded so there was a complete frame?
Old 03-29-2011, 08:20 AM   #70
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
Great pics Godaddy!

I wonder - can you see the screw points sticking in from inside the trailer? I am hoping that they will be hidden from view!

Brian
Brian,

I noticed that in his picture also.

I imagine that your trailer is very similar to ours.

Ours has a plastic frame that extends up inside the opening. This frame covers the view of all the inner sides of the curb. If you can't see the inner sides of the curb now and don't get screws so long that they extend through or past the plastic molding, the screws won't show.

(As long as your trailer is constructed in the same manner as ours.) Look at Kevin's interior picture in post #11.

Ken

Tags
oem skylights, replace