Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Roof Vents, Skylights & Fans
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-21-2011, 01:58 PM   #81
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
So how would one go about putting in a skylight where it doesn't currently exist?
Do you have to start with a factory curb or does Maxim make a skylight to install directly into a trailer?
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 10:14 PM   #82
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1964 19' Globetrotter
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddstech View Post
I just got the same skylight from them for my 1958, replaces the astrodome flimsy thing perfectly, and now I can see out!

I will post pics later when I get it screwed down.

Matt
Nice to see this thead growing with more experience and input. In particular of personal interest is to see how Matt's Astrodome replacement with a Maxim looks and turns out. With the "new" '60 and it's Astrodome, I was wondering if I should close it off and rely on windows and a future fantastic fan as adequate ventilation without having an "opening" astrodome. Would it be "vintage sin" to close one up like that?
Maxwell the 1964 Globe Trotter
Name TBD the 1955 Overlander
WBCCI # 6155
AIR # 6155

2nd love - 2006 28' Safari LS
1st love - 2004 19' CCD Bambi
Bambi_Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 10:15 PM   #83
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by millvalleyca View Post
Hi Kevin
Thanks for starting this thread two years ago!
I have the same trailer as you.....are the dimensions the same for all 08 27FB International trailers? Our rear skylight has just started leaking and I want to replace them with the Maxims.
Thanks!
Dennis
Hi Dennis,

Just sent you a PM. Dave at Maxim has a matrix of all the Airstream skylights he's done, and I think yours should be the same as mine. Call him to double check but if I remember correctly things are not different until 2010 or 2011...
WBCCI # 6155
AIR # 6155

Old 04-23-2011, 11:35 AM   #84
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Message from Maxim

I (and several others of you) just received this email from Maxim.

I am posting it here in case anyone with pictures might wish to send them to David.

It also explains their plans to make an Airstream section on their website.

Ken

.................................................. ...............

Dear Airstream Owners,

I would like to personally thank you all for supporting Maxim Skylights and hope our skylights have exceeded all your expectations. We take great pride in our products and your satisfaction is extremely important to us. To date we have provided skylights to Airstream owners from coast to coast and recently had an owner stop by our plant and pick up skylights on their way back home to Canada.

I do have a request. As we update our marketing program, it would be very helpful to have pictures of your Airstream with our skylights installed. Our website is undergoing a makeover and we are including an Airstream tab to help provide easily accessible product information and would like to have pictures to help enhance the tab as well as the entire site. You can send me, david@maximskylights.com, or Liz, liz@maximskylights.com, an e-mail if you are interested and please rest assured, to protect your privacy we would not include any personal or identifying information.

Thank you all again and please call me directly with any questions, comments or concerns.

Regards,

David

David Thornton ● Maxim Industries, Inc.
1630 Terre Colony Court Dallas, TEXAS 75212 ● Tel: 888-222-4898; Tel: 214-905-2021; Fax: 214-905-2024
1818 7th Avenue North, Suite 3 Lake Worth, FLORIDA ● Tel: 800-367-8168; Tel: 561-588-9184; Fax: 561-588-9283

david@maximskylights.comUntitled
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 08:36 PM   #85
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
New Maxims installed today - piece of cake! 4 hours total to get the old ones off, clean the old caulking and install the new ones.

No comparison, the Maxims are a quality product!

I installed using Sikkaflex 721UV caulking and 1 inch x #12 self drilling SM screws with neoprene washers from Home Depot.

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 09:11 PM   #86
4 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Folsom , California
Pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi_Bandit View Post
Nice to see this thead growing with more experience and input. In particular of personal interest is to see how Matt's Astrodome replacement with a Maxim looks and turns out. With the "new" '60 and it's Astrodome, I was wondering if I should close it off and rely on windows and a future fantastic fan as adequate ventilation without having an "opening" astrodome. Would it be "vintage sin" to close one up like that?
Alright, You motivated me to get off the couch and go take a couple pictures. I can not praise Maxim enough here. The quality is amazing and the people, even more amazing.

As you can see in the pictures, the skylight drops directly on top of the existing curb, and hangs down over it. It is literally impossible for it to leak. I have not screwed it down and it has been thru very heavy rains with wind, with no sealant and it never let a drop in. I enjoy looking up and seeing light. I went with the double bronze dome and it filters the light nicely and does not let heat in or out.

As far as installing it, I plan on just running a bead of vulkem along the top edge of the curb, drop the skylight on it, and screw it in from the side. I am having some trim made from birch on the inside that matches the cabinets. It will also have a black out shade for those lazy mornings....

Enjoy the pictures, the rest of the trailer is under construction, so ignore the mess and random stages of things.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1747.JPG.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	130637   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1748.JPG.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	130638  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1750.JPG.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	130639   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1752.JPG.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	130640  

ddstech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 10:18 PM   #87
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddstech

Alright, You motivated me to get off the couch and go take a couple pictures. I can not praise Maxim enough here. The quality is amazing and the people, even more amazing.

As you can see in the pictures, the skylight drops directly on top of the existing curb, and hangs down over it. It is literally impossible for it to leak. I have not screwed it down and it has been thru very heavy rains with wind, with no sealant and it never let a drop in. I enjoy looking up and seeing light. I went with the double bronze dome and it filters the light nicely and does not let heat in or out.

As far as installing it, I plan on just running a bead of vulkem along the top edge of the curb, drop the skylight on it, and screw it in from the side. I am having some trim made from birch on the inside that matches the cabinets. It will also have a black out shade for those lazy mornings....

Enjoy the pictures, the rest of the trailer is under construction, so ignore the mess and random stages of things.
Awesome! Thanks for the pics, I'm going to have to consider this. I'll get a hold of David to see if he's got your measurements on file and compare those to the overlander.
WBCCI # 6155
AIR # 6155

Old 05-24-2011, 11:49 PM   #88
4 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Folsom , California
I would measure your curb exactly. I realized after fitting it on there that when I measured my outside curb edges it was bowed out in the middle. So if you send your measurements in, you will get a exact fit. Also note that we measured markr's curb on his 1960 and his curb was slightly different size then my 1958. Even thought the astrodomes are pretty much the same size, the actual curbs can vary.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:40 PM   #89
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddstech View Post
...Even thought the astrodomes are pretty much the same size, the actual curbs can vary.
What? You mean there are variations on Airstreams? No Way!!! I bet you're going to tell me that they leak too?
WBCCI # 6155
AIR # 6155

Old 05-26-2011, 01:34 PM   #90
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Red face The voice of experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi_Bandit View Post
What? You mean there are variations on Airstreams? No Way!!! I bet you're going to tell me that they leak too?

If you would like an example of why it is a good idea to measure YOUR trailer before ordering check post 33 in this thread.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f455...not-56886.html

I came out OK because Maxim made me new ones at their expense, but David and I both learned a lesson.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 05:10 PM   #91
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
If you would like an example of why it is a good idea to measure YOUR trailer before ordering check post 33 in this thread.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f455...not-56886.html

I came out OK because Maxim made me new ones at their expense, but David and I both learned a lesson.

Ken
Ken,

Both Liz (and maybe David too?) at Maxim felt it was not needed when I wanted mine made 1/4 inch larger than they felt necessary for my model trailer based on their past experience.

In the end, I said that unless they felt an extra 1/4 was going to create problems I could not forsee, then that was what I wanted.

I had to drive from Dallas to our home near Toronto with them and I did NOT want to get home and find they wouldn't fit. I remember reading about your situation!

I had measured as best I could with the existing skylights still in place - I didn't want to remove and re-apply the old ones to measure, as I expected the old skylights would break up as I lifted them - which they did!

So I couldn't be sure that the curbs were completely true - ie square.

I did try to check with a carpenter's square but is wasn't practical with the old skylights still in place and all the caulking underneath.

Anyway, the new ones fit just fine. Sliding them around when I did a test fit, before applying caulking to the curb, my feeling was that I could have been in trouble with 1/4" less clearance although I can't say that for sure.

Installation was easier than I expected. In addition to recaulking the roof to curb seam with Sikkaflex 721UV, I layed down two beads of Sikkaflex, on top of the curb, one bead on top of the other, then I squished the skylght frame down onto the two beads and then slid it around a bit as best I could - I couldn't move it much. Should be fine I think.

Very glad I bought the Maxim skylights. Thanks to info posted initially by Kevin and then by good folks such as yourself.

What would I do without the Airforum?!

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 02:20 PM   #92
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Joshua , Texas
Good info...
Old 05-30-2011, 05:54 AM   #93
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
South Kingstown , Rhode Island
Has anyone tried to attach the Maxim skylight using the existing crank-open hardware? I have a replacement fiberglass astrodome which is holding up well and wasn't cheap, but from the interior, the light through the way off-white fiberglass is kinda gross and I'd rather be able to see out, and to open it for ventilation.
Old 05-30-2011, 11:32 PM   #94
4 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Folsom , California
It could be done if you used some heavier duty hardware. The maxim skylights are significantly heavier then the astrodome. There is plenty of solid aluminum on the skylight frame to mount to, but the old hardware would most likely not cut it. In addition, the skilight is larger and may look a little odd raised up. I felt that with all the windows, fantastic fan, and a/c, that I had plenty of ventilation. But that is only my opinion, I have yet to spend a night in my 58.....
Old 09-07-2011, 04:39 AM   #95
4 Rivet Member

2006 31' Classic
Archer , Florida
Just replaced the aft one in the hallway by the bathroom in our 31'Classic. We used the Bronze-Bronze- Clear that lets in 7% light - We really like the decreased morning light in the bedroom- I think we will go a little lighter with the bronze-clear-clear for the living/dinette area. The quality of this product is WAY better than the junk that we took off to replace. Since we have not replaced the other one yet, it is so evident- just tap on the inside panel of the old vs the new....amazing....Thanks Kevin for bringing this to "light"....
Flying Gypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 11:43 AM   #96
3 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
_ , North Carolina
I just got my Maxim Bronze-Bronze-Clear skylights for my 2009 27FB Ocean Breeze about two weeks ago. As soon as I have some time I will be replacing them, photos to follow.

Both Liz and Dave were great to work with and went out of their way to rush a job so my Brother who was traveling through Dallas could pick them up along the way for me. Turns out my Brother couldn't pick up the skylights but Maxim was true to their word about doing the rush job, can't say enough about their customer service.
FLMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 04:06 PM   #97
4 Rivet Member

2 Maxims waiting in My garage have to install before the Fall Colors Rally. Replacement Airstream skylights about 1 1/2 years old , I installed them and they have had horrible condensation problems , didn't have that with the originals. Maxims opinion was they where probably defectively manufactured.
S/OS #010
2004 30ft Slide Out with Hensley Arrow hitch.
Pulled by a 2019 F350 Superduty Limited.
ctdair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 05:36 PM   #98
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
ya know, for the longest time I've been waiting for my skylights to crack up and leak so I can get this done!!!! AS is over 4 years old and no cracks nor leaks. Who do I complain to about that?

Really nice Maxim lites. I've got the website bookmarked for "future reference".
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 05:10 PM   #99
4 Rivet Member

1 Maxim mounted , still some final sealing to do and on to the 2nd one. Hardest part was the cleaning an scrapping.
S/OS #010
Old 09-29-2011, 03:55 AM   #100
4 Rivet Member

Both Maxims are now mounted and they are so much nicer than the original Airstream ones. Best improvement we have made to the trailer.
S/OS #010

Tags
oem skylights, replace