Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-27-2011, 10:29 AM   #43
Rivet Master
 
Wingeezer's Avatar
 
2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmeloy View Post
Two thoughts on your skylights.
It is unlikely that Maxim will install the skylights for you, but you could ask.
Fabricate (cut) a plywood sheet that will completely cover each of the openings where the skylights currently exist. It will probably take about a week (3 to 5 working days) to get skylights from Maxim, so use these two pieces of plywood to cover the openings while you wait. Attach them with some sheet metal screws and use any readily available gasketing material from Lowes or Home Depot between the plywood and the top of the curb.

Hope this helps.
Good idea about the plywood, but I'm not clear on why I wouldn't just leave my existing ones in place until the new ones are ready?

Are you saying that it isn't possible to really confirm the dimensions required for the Maxim units until the old skylights are removed?

I haven't been up on the roof for a while, our trailer is in a storage yard - may go out next week to check on it. If there isn't snow and ice topside, I may go up for a better look. I would have thought that you could sneak a tape measure under the existing skylight plastic to measure the curb, but perhaps not.

I doubt very much that the existing skylights could be put back on temporarily if they had to be removed to measure, the plastic is just too badly cracked at all the screw holes, so your plywood idea would be good.

It would also mean however that unless I install the new units myself while on our trip, I'd be stuck with no skylights for the month or so we'd be in the trailer!

I was figuring that if Maxim wouldn't install them, then I'd like to bring them home after our winter trip and take my time to do the best installation job that I could next summer.

Guess I have a bit more investigating to do and then I'll call Maxim to see what my options might be!

Thanks again!

Brian
__________________

__________________
Brian & Connie Mitchell

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 12:45 PM   #44
Rivet Master

 
Vintage Kin Owner
Nowhere , Somewhere
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 5,680
Maybe get the correct sizes from AS.? zz
__________________

__________________
1984 Avion 30p 9.1 meter. 2006 Dodge 3500 cummins srw short bed crew cab.
avionstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 01:21 PM   #45
4 Rivet Member
 
2006 30' Classic
Milton , Florida
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
Good idea about the plywood, but I'm not clear on why I wouldn't just leave my existing ones in place until the new ones are ready?

Are you saying that it isn't possible to really confirm the dimensions required for the Maxim units until the old skylights are removed?

That is correct. Unless you remove the existing skylight, your measurements may not have the required degree of accuracy. What I found was that the openings were sufficiently out-of-square to the extent that where I took the measurements determined the final values that I sent to Maxim. Had I used my initial estimates, determined using the method that you have used to estimate your opening sizes, one of my skylights would have been too small.

I haven't been up on the roof for a while, our trailer is in a storage yard - may go out next week to check on it. If there isn't snow and ice topside, I may go up for a better look. I would have thought that you could sneak a tape measure under the existing skylight plastic to measure the curb, but perhaps not.

I doubt very much that the existing skylights could be put back on temporarily if they had to be removed to measure, the plastic is just too badly cracked at all the screw holes, so your plywood idea would be good.

It would also mean however that unless I install the new units myself while on our trip, I'd be stuck with no skylights for the month or so we'd be in the trailer!

I was figuring that if Maxim wouldn't install them, then I'd like to bring them home after our winter trip and take my time to do the best installation job that I could next summer.

Guess I have a bit more investigating to do and then I'll call Maxim to see what my options might be!

Thanks again!

Brian
Nick Meloy
01/27/2011
__________________
F. A. Meloy
2006 30' Classic
Dexter hydraulic disc brake system
Centramatics wheel balancing & Dill TPMS
Hensley hitch & Maxim skylights
Voyager Camera System WVOS713
2010 FORD F-250, ITBC, 6.8 liter V-10 gas, with VIAIR on-board air system
nickmeloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 01:28 PM   #46
Rivet Master
 
Wingeezer's Avatar
 
2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
Maybe get the correct sizes from AS.? zz
I did email them a few days ago requesting that info - nothing heard back yet though.

But now, even if they give me the design figures, I'm a bit concerned from what others have said that I may not be able to rely too much on the dimensions that the openings are "supposed" to be!

One of the good things about this forum, lots to learn!


Brian
__________________
Brian & Connie Mitchell

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 01:36 PM   #47
Rivet Master
 
Wingeezer's Avatar
 
2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmeloy View Post
Nick Meloy
01/27/2011
Nick,

Thanks, excellent info! This isn't as easy as I was hoping!

May not be practical for me to do this after all unless Maxim are willing to do the whole job for us, including putting on some temporary covers, while I'm around Dallas.

I don't want to be taking a lot of time out of our trip messing around with temporary covers myself, and then having them in place for the balance of our trip!

I may wind up just ordering standard replacements from Andy R if he has them and have them shipped to Tucson and bring them home with me for installation this summer. If I do that, I will add alum. strips or large fender washers to spread the load and hopefully prevent the new skylight flanges from cracking around the screw holes.

I will call Dave at Maxim though just to see what he thinks.


When you say that yours was out of square, do you mean that the opening dimensions had unequal sides or perhaps was shaped like a parallelogram rather than a rectangle, or that the curbs were slightly angled in or our and not true?


Brian
__________________
Brian & Connie Mitchell

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 01:49 PM   #48
Don't forget your cat nap
 
Ag&Au's Avatar

 
Port Orchard , Washington
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,463
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
Nick,

Thanks, excellent info! This isn't as easy as I was hoping!

May not be practical for me to do this after all unless Maxim are willing to do the whole job for us, including putting on some temporary covers, while I'm around Dallas.

I don't want to be taking a lot of time out of our trip messing around with temporary covers myself, and then having them in place for the balance of our trip!

I may wind up just ordering standard replacements from Andy R if he has them and have them shipped to Tucson and bring them home with me for installation this summer. If I do that, I will add alum. strips or large fender washers to spread the load and hopefully prevent the new skylight flanges from cracking around the screw holes.

I will call Dave at Maxim though just to see what he thinks.


When you say that yours was out of square, do you mean that the opening dimensions had unequal sides or perhaps was shaped like a parallelogram rather than a rectangle, or that the curbs were slightly angled in or our and not true?


Brian

Brian,

Mine were a bit of a parallelogram, but fit within the extra 1/4 inch tolerance the skylights are built to.

Make sure that you see the Maxims before making a decision on the stock ones. There is really no comparison in quality. I am sure the Maxims will definitely last the life of the trailer.

Ken
__________________
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 01:53 PM   #49
4 Rivet Member
 
2006 30' Classic
Milton , Florida
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
I did email them a few days ago requesting that info - nothing heard back yet though.

But now, even if they give me the design figures, I'm a bit concerned from what others have said that I may not be able to rely too much on the dimensions that the openings are "supposed" to be!

One of the good things about this forum, lots to learn!


Brian
An alternative approach, and what I sort of did on my installation, is as follows.

Purchase one of the "cheap" OEM type skylights, that will fit one of your existing openings, from someone. I actually had one that was given to me by the PO, and I used it. Remove the one skylight and take your measurements, then install the cheap replacement. Now order your Maxim skylight and install it when it arrives.

Next, remove the other skylight and take your measurements and cover the opening, either using the plywood piece or the hopelly not too damaged cheap skylight previously removed. Complete the installation when the next Maxim skylight is available.

The trailer would be usable for trips during this time, with at least one skylight installed.
__________________
F. A. Meloy
2006 30' Classic
Dexter hydraulic disc brake system
Centramatics wheel balancing & Dill TPMS
Hensley hitch & Maxim skylights
Voyager Camera System WVOS713
2010 FORD F-250, ITBC, 6.8 liter V-10 gas, with VIAIR on-board air system
nickmeloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 06:35 PM   #50
Past Prez.NEU/Membership
 
AirHog's Avatar
 
2005 34' Classic
2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
N Smithfield , Rhode Island
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 841
Images: 21
Have been following this thread with great interest. Have decided to change both the skylights on our 2005 34" Classic. Was wondering if any other folks have recently installed these units. We have the typical square one in the front and the rectangular one in the hallway. Many thanks.

Titu
__________________
T & Gail
2015 Airstream Interstate Ext
2005 34'Classic- Mercury (Goddess of Travel)
2004 Yukon Denali
, 2016 GMC 2500 Denali-Duramax Diesel
WBCCI #2905-NEU

AirHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 06:04 AM   #51
4 Rivet Member
 
ctdair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 325
Images: 3
Unhappy

Well I am probably going to install Maxims this year. I installed As replacements with the aluminum flange last summer the install came out pretty good , the flange and the window are really oversize for the aluminum opening. I sealed really well all around and went as far as window tape (which is a putty seal used to install older car windows) I have what seems to be a huge condensation problem. I have removed the interior trim and there is absolutely no evidence of water entering trailer but I have a huge glob of water floating around on top of the interior flat piece of the skylight. this has happened 3 times now. and the water has dissipated by itself on 1 trip and over the winter I was concerned with a freeze cracking the light I drilled a small drain hole and drained it. Now there is water in the skylight again. Have checked the topside and see no evidence of cracks leaks from screw what ever. So long post but has anyone experienced this or have suggestions.
__________________
"Forbidden Wheels Clubhouse Recon Team"
S/OS #010
2004 30ft Slide Out with Hensley Arrow hitch. Pulled By 2010 Dodge 2500 Diesel 4x4 Megacab
ctdair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 09:41 AM   #52
Rivet Master
 
Wingeezer's Avatar
 
2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,404
Well, I have ordered and paid for a set of Maxim skylights. We are in teh trailer at Tucson now and I hope to pick them up in Dallas in a couple of weeks on our way home to Ontario,


For those of you who have already installed them I am hoping someone can help me out. I am trying to find out, when you use self tapping screws to secure the skylights, do you go thru just one wall of the curb or both? I guess both would be stronger, but I don't want to be seeing the screw ends from inside the trailer!? I'm thinking that maybe the plastic frame around the skylight opening inside the trailer might hide them.

I know it will be easy to verify that once I have the existing skylights off, but I would like to buy the same type of self drilling Crown Bolt screws that Kevin used while I am in the US, just in case Home Depot in Canada don't carry them.

Incidentally, the screws Kevin used were 1 1/4" but Home Depot here in Tucson only seem to have 1" or 1 1/2" What did you guys use?

I think also that Kevin used some neoprene washers - would they go under the head of the screw or between the skylight frame and the curb - the latter seems to make more sense to me.

Appreciate and and all advice or suggestions!

Brian


PS - Kevin, If you see this, I did try to PM you, but maybe my PM didn't wk!
__________________
Brian & Connie Mitchell

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 10:38 AM   #53
Don't forget your cat nap
 
Ag&Au's Avatar

 
Port Orchard , Washington
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,463
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
Well, I have ordered and paid for a set of Maxim skylights. We are in teh trailer at Tucson now and I hope to pick them up in Dallas in a couple of weeks on our way home to Ontario,


For those of you who have already installed them I am hoping someone can help me out. I am trying to find out, when you use self tapping screws to secure the skylights, do you go thru just one wall of the curb or both? I guess both would be stronger, but I don't want to be seeing the screw ends from inside the trailer!? I'm thinking that maybe the plastic frame around the skylight opening inside the trailer might hide them.

I know it will be easy to verify that once I have the existing skylights off, but I would like to buy the same type of self drilling Crown Bolt screws that Kevin used while I am in the US, just in case Home Depot in Canada don't carry them.

Incidentally, the screws Kevin used were 1 1/4" but Home Depot here in Tucson only seem to have 1" or 1 1/2" What did you guys use?

I think also that Kevin used some neoprene washers - would they go under the head of the screw or between the skylight frame and the curb - the latter seems to make more sense to me.

Appreciate and and all advice or suggestions!

Brian


PS - Kevin, If you see this, I did try to PM you, but maybe my PM didn't wk!
If your curbs are like mine, they only have one side. The have an outside and a top, like a piece of angle iron.

I don't remember what size screws I used, but they didn't need to be very long. It is certainly not critical. We drilled a small diameter pilot hole for the screws rather than use the type that drill their own hole. That way we knew the alignment was correct. I would suggest waiting until you can fit the new ones to the top of the curb and then decide what screws you want to use. From what I saw on our trailer, I think the final spacing between the curb and the skylight frame will varying a bit between trailers.

I used no rubber washers. Any water that gets under the screw head will just end up inside the frame and will drip onto the roof. The place for concern, if there is any, is where the screws go through the curb. We placed the skylight on the curb and then drilled our pilot holes. Then we removed the skylight and placed sealer along the top of the curb and also a big gob of sealer over every pilot hole. I Have not experience any leakage in some very heavy rains.

I approached this project with quite a bit of concern, but once I placed the first new skylight in place, I realized it wasn't going to be that big a deal.

Ken
__________________
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 10:59 AM   #54
Rivet Master
 
Wingeezer's Avatar
 
2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
If your curbs are like mine, they only have one side. The have an outside and a top, like a piece of angle iron.

I don't remember what size screws I used, but they didn't need to be very long. It is certainly not critical. We drilled a small diameter pilot hole for the screws rather than use the type that drill their own hole. That way we knew the alignment was correct. I would suggest waiting until you can fit the new ones to the top of the curb and then decide what screws you want to use. From what I saw on our trailer, I think the final spacing between the curb and the skylight frame will varying a bit between trailers.

I used no rubber washers. Any water that gets under the screw head will just end up inside the frame and will drip onto the roof. The place for concern, if there is any, is where the screws go through the curb. We placed the skylight on the curb and then drilled our pilot holes. Then we removed the skylight and placed sealer along the top of the curb and also a big gob of sealer over every pilot hole. I Have not experience any leakage in some very heavy rains.

I approached this project with quite a bit of concern, but once I placed the first new skylight in place, I realized it wasn't going to be that big a deal.

Ken

Many thanks Ken,

I didn't realize that the curb might not be closed box section! I will probably follow your suggestion and wait on getting the fasteners.


I too couldn't see what purpose it would serve to seal under the screw heads, that is why I though maybe Kevin had used the neoprene washers between the frame and the curb and that possibly there was slight distortion of the skylight frame when you tightened the screws and the washer would then be sandwiched tight between frame and curb.

Can I ask what sealant you used on top of the curb? When we stopped in Jackson centre to have some repairs done on our trailer on the way to Tucson, I picked up a bunch of cartridges or the sikkaflex sealant - I forget the numbers, but one type is the white with extra UV protection for the roof and the other is gray for use elsewhere.

Wonder if that would be good to use? Or maybe the butyl tape sealant you can get at RV stores?

Brian
__________________
Brian & Connie Mitchell

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 11:14 AM   #55
Don't forget your cat nap
 
Ag&Au's Avatar

 
Port Orchard , Washington
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,463
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
Many thanks Ken,


.............................................

Can I ask what sealant you used on top of the curb? When we stopped in Jackson centre to have some repairs done on our trailer on the way to Tucson, I picked up a bunch of cartridges or the sikkaflex sealant - I forget the numbers, but one type is the white with extra UV protection for the roof and the other is gray for use elsewhere.

Wonder if that would be good to use? Or maybe the butyl tape sealant you can get at RV stores?

Brian
Brian,

This is what we used.

Sashco Sealants - Big Stretch

I say we, but my wife was the one actually on the roof. I was standing on top of the ladder. This was mainly because she is much less likely to step in the wrong place or fall off the roof.

I don't have enough experience with this caulk to particularly recommend it. I chose it because it remains so flexible after drying. So far no problems. It is available at a lot of places in the US. I don't know about Canada

I don't believe that I would recommend tape sealant, because of the very distinct possibility that the skylight may not sit perfectly flat on the curb.

Ken
__________________
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 01:52 PM   #56
Rivet Master
 
2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,671
After reading this thread I am left wondering why everyone chose to use a curb mount unit instead of a self flashing style skylight? It looks like it would fit over the entire opening and curb flange and just be mounted around the whole area and screwed into the roof and caulked over the flange and screws.
What am I not considering?
I see both are offered by Maxim.
__________________

__________________
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
oem skylights, replace


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How About a Collection of Step by Step Repair Procedures? josephhh Airstream Motorhome Forums 32 07-06-2015 10:47 PM
STEP-BY-STEP Shell-Off Floor Replacement A-Merry-Can Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame 794 04-29-2013 08:49 PM
Step by Step Repair for 1965 Caravel jlovelady Steps 2 12-19-2009 03:23 PM
Skylights on 75 sovereign bdbluegrass Roof Vents, Skylights & Fans 5 08-21-2006 08:26 PM
Skylights..... Silvertwinkie Our Community 4 08-14-2003 09:32 AM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.