Old 04-01-2016, 06:47 AM   #281
Sky
Classic 30

Sum Wear , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFP View Post
OK, maybe this is a dumb question (I'm famous for those!), but wouldn't it be easier to do much of the work in replacing the skylight from inside the trailer? The 'clear' parts of the OEM skylight could be cut out leaving a pretty nice size hole through which to work. Using just a short step ladder, one could stand up through the now-open skylight hole and remove all the vestiges of the original skylight. Also, mount the base assembly of the new one. Then the only work remaining - and that which would have to be done from the roof - is the final installation of the new skylight.

Am I missing something here, or is this a pretty good idea?

Rob
I think this is an excellent idea. I wish I had thought of it when I did mine.

2500HD DMax............30' Classic
Old 04-01-2016, 08:01 AM   #282
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
When I put a new Maxim skylight on our trailer I had to shave down the interior welds of the new skylight with a dremel in order for the skylight to fit down properly on the curb. It took a bit of time for the custom fitting but was worth the trouble.

Hensley with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 08:19 AM   #283
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Somewhere , in the USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
Joe,

The best solution is to measure your curbs and order them that way. I ended up having to return one skylight and have another made (at their expense), because their "standard" airstream measurements were not exactly the same as my curbs. it is possible for individual trailers to have curbs enough out of tolerance with the "standard" that the maxims may not fit although the cheap OEM will still work because they are more oversized. Make sure you consult with Maxim regarding the correct way to measure. Also (at least with my trailer) it is possible for the curbs to not be exactly square, so be sure that the given square dimensions you provide to maxim will fit over all four corners.

Ken
Thanks, but were I to commit a day to the round trip to our trailer, I would have to measure the curb thru the existing skylight. I suspect this would distort my measurements enough that I would trust them less than someone who has actually measured their Airstream or put a Maxim on a 2016 Airstream.

I will not take off the current lids until I have the new lids to immediately replace them.
WBCCI/VAC #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 08:40 AM   #284
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Unfortunately the curbs do not begin to match the factory drawing and they are not always built square or vertical. We measured our actual openings on the 2014 Classic and sent the information to Maxim. One unit fit properly, but the second did not as there was one corner that was not truly vertical and had a bad weld joint. A lot of filing and a rubber hammer finally got the lenses in place.

The 23D skylight measurements did not match the drawings either, but the skylight fit fine when it arrived using the actual measurements.

Just saying sending the actual measurements may be a prudent thing to do to save paying for a second unit to be made.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 08:42 AM   #285
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
We had an original skylight blow off and disappear last summer on our travels westward. I got a piece of 1/4" plywood and screwed it down to cover the opening and finished our 3 month trip. I left our trailer in Georgia in storage for a few months and picked it up in January enroute to Florida. I had measured the curb dimension before leaving it in storage. While home I ordered 2 new Maxims and installed them while in Florida. Not a big deal and working on the roof was no issue at all. I carry a thick padded movers blanket and using that I simply sat or layed on the roof to work on the caulking. I had covered the plywood with plastic before leaving it in storage but it did it's job well during our travels out west. I would recommend getting a decent heat gun to help soften the caulk and simplify removal. I also used a wire brush to help clean it up before re-caulking the base of the curb and the curb itself prior to installation of the Maxim's. Aside from the tedium and slowness of the caulk removal process it was a very easy and relatively simple installation. Measure the curbs to be sure and Maxim will take care of the rest. Bye-the-way we got the clear-bronze-clear skylight. If I was doing it again I think I'd go for double bronze. Just something to take into consideration. Don't let working on the roof intimidate you. Nothing to it.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 10:36 AM   #286
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
If we were to swing by their location in Texas, I wonder whether we could get them to measure, fit, sell and then maybe even install them for us.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 09:36 PM   #287
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Somewhere , in the USA
Seems no one is willing to provide their curb dimensions or the sizes they ordered from Maxim. Diasppointing. I do not trust that were I to drive to my trailer and try to measure the curbs through the distortion of the original lenses that I would get any better numbers than going with the information others have already found to work. Removing the original skylights to get a precise measurement is not an option. Guess I will just order them on the large side and shim any gaps.
WBCCI/VAC #6768

Old 04-02-2016, 07:56 PM   #288
Sky
Classic 30

Sum Wear , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Overlander View Post
Seems no one is willing to provide their curb dimensions or the sizes they ordered from Maxim. Diasppointing. I do not trust that were I to drive to my trailer and try to measure the curbs through the distortion of the original lenses that I would get any better numbers than going with the information others have already found to work. Removing the original skylights to get a precise measurement is not an option. Guess I will just order them on the large side and shim any gaps.
Joe, no trade-ins if first size does not fit. Thats a lot of money.

2500HD DMax............30' Classic
Old 04-02-2016, 08:37 PM   #289
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Rocinante,

Unless they have changed, they are not set up nor interested in installation - asked when we bought ours as I was going to pick them up in Dallas on the way back home from Arizona and thought it would be great if they would install them then and there - they declined!

Joe,

Maxxim assured me that they knew the dimensions needed for my trailer because they had made them for similar models before, but I was concerned about bring the 2 skylights all the way home from Dallas to our place near Toronto and then possibly finding that they wouldn't fit either because my curbs might be slightly different in dimension, or perhaps just a tad out of square.

So to hedge my bets, I had them made slightly larger (I think it was 1/4" larger) than the suggested dimensions.

They were still a fairly snug fit and so I don't know really whether I would have had problems or not had I not gone that route - it would have been close!

If you look at the diagrams showing how the skylights are installed, you will see that having them made a little larger would cause no problems in installation or functionality.

If you did get stuck with one that is too small, it would be quite a problem to rectify.

Not only is the aluminum frame welded, but the three layer polycarbonate skylight is bonded inside the aluminum assembly from what Maxxim told me, and it is not intended to be dismantled.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 07:06 PM   #290
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
I called them and told them the year and model of my Airstream.They said they had the dimensions for my trailers skylights.
I picked the colors, they built them and shipped them to me in a timely fashion.
I installed them without a problem.Perfect fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 04-04-2016, 05:44 AM   #291
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflash View Post
I called them and told them the year and model of my Airstream.They said they had the dimensions for my trailers skylights.
I picked the colors, they built them and shipped them to me in a timely fashion.
I installed them without a problem.Perfect fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

I've done exactly the same thing on the last three Airstreams that we've owned. Life can be simple, if we allow it to be!

For whatever it's worth.

Larry

1996 34' Excella 1000, interior totally redone, 2003 Dodge/Cummins HO, U.S. Gear exhaust brake, Diablo tuner, 115 gallon aux fuel, Bedslide, Airsafe/Reese Dual Cam, and a bunch of other stuff
Larry C is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 10:35 AM   #292
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Somewhere , in the USA
It is great that David an Maxim knows the right size for some of your older Airstreams. He specifically told me he did NOT know the correct size for a 2016 Airstream, thus my questions in this thread. I know the approximate sizes have not changed, but I don't know the sizes down to the 1/8th of an inch. I will be ordering them this week and will just go slightly on the large size so that I have no interference issues when I install them. They will be held on fine with sealant around the curb perimeter and horizontal screws into the curb.

I'll measure my curbs and post the results when I remove the originals so that will help the next person.

Regarding sealing them to the curb, I haven't researched this yet, but has anyone used double sided tape that might be easier to remove if the skylight must be removed for any reason, or is everyone going with a caulk type sealant that sets up and would make the skylight very hard to remove in the future if necessary?

Thanks in advance,
WBCCI/VAC #6768

Old 04-04-2016, 10:44 AM   #293
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
David does not recommend tape.
Larry
Old 04-04-2016, 11:53 AM   #294
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Overlander View Post
It is great that David an Maxim knows the right size for some of your older Airstreams. He specifically told me he did NOT know the correct size for a 2016 Airstream, thus my questions in this thread. I know the approximate sizes have not changed, but I don't know the sizes down to the 1/8th of an inch. I will be ordering them this week and will just go slightly on the large size so that I have no interference issues when I install them. They will be held on fine with sealant around the curb perimeter and horizontal screws into the curb.

I'll measure my curbs and post the results when I remove the originals so that will help the next person.

Regarding sealing them to the curb, I haven't researched this yet, but has anyone used double sided tape that might be easier to remove if the skylight must be removed for any reason, or is everyone going with a caulk type sealant that sets up and would make the skylight very hard to remove in the future if necessary?

Thanks in advance,
I use Dicor for this type of install. It was very easy to remove after 2 years, as I had a warranty issue with Maxim (which they handled very well, BTW).

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
oem skylights, replace