Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Roof Vents, Skylights & Fans
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-01-2016, 06:47 AM   #281
Sky
Classic 30

Sum Wear , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFP View Post
OK, maybe this is a dumb question (I'm famous for those!), but wouldn't it be easier to do much of the work in replacing the skylight from inside the trailer? The 'clear' parts of the OEM skylight could be cut out leaving a pretty nice size hole through which to work. Using just a short step ladder, one could stand up through the now-open skylight hole and remove all the vestiges of the original skylight. Also, mount the base assembly of the new one. Then the only work remaining - and that which would have to be done from the roof - is the final installation of the new skylight.

Am I missing something here, or is this a pretty good idea?

Rob
I think this is an excellent idea. I wish I had thought of it when I did mine.

2500HD DMax............30' Classic
Old 04-01-2016, 08:01 AM   #282
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
When I put a new Maxim skylight on our trailer I had to shave down the interior welds of the new skylight with a dremel in order for the skylight to fit down properly on the curb. It took a bit of time for the custom fitting but was worth the trouble.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 08:19 AM   #283
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
Joe,

The best solution is to measure your curbs and order them that way. I ended up having to return one skylight and have another made (at their expense), because their "standard" airstream measurements were not exactly the same as my curbs. it is possible for individual trailers to have curbs enough out of tolerance with the "standard" that the maxims may not fit although the cheap OEM will still work because they are more oversized. Make sure you consult with Maxim regarding the correct way to measure. Also (at least with my trailer) it is possible for the curbs to not be exactly square, so be sure that the given square dimensions you provide to maxim will fit over all four corners.

Ken
Thanks, but were I to commit a day to the round trip to our trailer, I would have to measure the curb thru the existing skylight. I suspect this would distort my measurements enough that I would trust them less than someone who has actually measured their Airstream or put a Maxim on a 2016 Airstream.

I will not take off the current lids until I have the new lids to immediately replace them.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 08:40 AM   #284
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Unfortunately the curbs do not begin to match the factory drawing and they are not always built square or vertical. We measured our actual openings on the 2014 Classic and sent the information to Maxim. One unit fit properly, but the second did not as there was one corner that was not truly vertical and had a bad weld joint. A lot of filing and a rubber hammer finally got the lenses in place.

The 23D skylight measurements did not match the drawings either, but the skylight fit fine when it arrived using the actual measurements.

Just saying sending the actual measurements may be a prudent thing to do to save paying for a second unit to be made.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 08:42 AM   #285
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
We had an original skylight blow off and disappear last summer on our travels westward. I got a piece of 1/4" plywood and screwed it down to cover the opening and finished our 3 month trip. I left our trailer in Georgia in storage for a few months and picked it up in January enroute to Florida. I had measured the curb dimension before leaving it in storage. While home I ordered 2 new Maxims and installed them while in Florida. Not a big deal and working on the roof was no issue at all. I carry a thick padded movers blanket and using that I simply sat or layed on the roof to work on the caulking. I had covered the plywood with plastic before leaving it in storage but it did it's job well during our travels out west. I would recommend getting a decent heat gun to help soften the caulk and simplify removal. I also used a wire brush to help clean it up before re-caulking the base of the curb and the curb itself prior to installation of the Maxim's. Aside from the tedium and slowness of the caulk removal process it was a very easy and relatively simple installation. Measure the curbs to be sure and Maxim will take care of the rest. Bye-the-way we got the clear-bronze-clear skylight. If I was doing it again I think I'd go for double bronze. Just something to take into consideration. Don't let working on the roof intimidate you. Nothing to it.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 10:36 AM   #286
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
If we were to swing by their location in Texas, I wonder whether we could get them to measure, fit, sell and then maybe even install them for us.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 09:36 PM   #287
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Seems no one is willing to provide their curb dimensions or the sizes they ordered from Maxim. Diasppointing. I do not trust that were I to drive to my trailer and try to measure the curbs through the distortion of the original lenses that I would get any better numbers than going with the information others have already found to work. Removing the original skylights to get a precise measurement is not an option. Guess I will just order them on the large side and shim any gaps.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

Old 04-02-2016, 07:56 PM   #288
Sky
Classic 30

Sum Wear , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Overlander View Post
Seems no one is willing to provide their curb dimensions or the sizes they ordered from Maxim. Diasppointing. I do not trust that were I to drive to my trailer and try to measure the curbs through the distortion of the original lenses that I would get any better numbers than going with the information others have already found to work. Removing the original skylights to get a precise measurement is not an option. Guess I will just order them on the large side and shim any gaps.
Joe, no trade-ins if first size does not fit. Thats a lot of money.

2500HD DMax............30' Classic
Old 04-02-2016, 08:37 PM   #289
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Rocinante,

Unless they have changed, they are not set up nor interested in installation - asked when we bought ours as I was going to pick them up in Dallas on the way back home from Arizona and thought it would be great if they would install them then and there - they declined!

Joe,

Maxxim assured me that they knew the dimensions needed for my trailer because they had made them for similar models before, but I was concerned about bring the 2 skylights all the way home from Dallas to our place near Toronto and then possibly finding that they wouldn't fit either because my curbs might be slightly different in dimension, or perhaps just a tad out of square.

So to hedge my bets, I had them made slightly larger (I think it was 1/4" larger) than the suggested dimensions.

They were still a fairly snug fit and so I don't know really whether I would have had problems or not had I not gone that route - it would have been close!

If you look at the diagrams showing how the skylights are installed, you will see that having them made a little larger would cause no problems in installation or functionality.

If you did get stuck with one that is too small, it would be quite a problem to rectify.

Not only is the aluminum frame welded, but the three layer polycarbonate skylight is bonded inside the aluminum assembly from what Maxxim told me, and it is not intended to be dismantled.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 07:06 PM   #290
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
I called them and told them the year and model of my Airstream.They said they had the dimensions for my trailers skylights.
I picked the colors, they built them and shipped them to me in a timely fashion.
I installed them without a problem.Perfect fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 05:44 AM   #291
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflash View Post
I called them and told them the year and model of my Airstream.They said they had the dimensions for my trailers skylights.
I picked the colors, they built them and shipped them to me in a timely fashion.
I installed them without a problem.Perfect fit.

I've done exactly the same thing on the last three Airstreams that we've owned. Life can be simple, if we allow it to be!

For whatever it's worth.

Larry
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 10:35 AM   #292
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
It is great that David an Maxim knows the right size for some of your older Airstreams. He specifically told me he did NOT know the correct size for a 2016 Airstream, thus my questions in this thread. I know the approximate sizes have not changed, but I don't know the sizes down to the 1/8th of an inch. I will be ordering them this week and will just go slightly on the large size so that I have no interference issues when I install them. They will be held on fine with sealant around the curb perimeter and horizontal screws into the curb.

I'll measure my curbs and post the results when I remove the originals so that will help the next person.

Regarding sealing them to the curb, I haven't researched this yet, but has anyone used double sided tape that might be easier to remove if the skylight must be removed for any reason, or is everyone going with a caulk type sealant that sets up and would make the skylight very hard to remove in the future if necessary?

Thanks in advance,
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

Old 04-04-2016, 10:44 AM   #293
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
David does not recommend tape.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 11:53 AM   #294
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
It is great that David an Maxim knows the right size for some of your older Airstreams. He specifically told me he did NOT know the correct size for a 2016 Airstream, thus my questions in this thread. I know the approximate sizes have not changed, but I don't know the sizes down to the 1/8th of an inch. I will be ordering them this week and will just go slightly on the large size so that I have no interference issues when I install them. They will be held on fine with sealant around the curb perimeter and horizontal screws into the curb.

I'll measure my curbs and post the results when I remove the originals so that will help the next person.

Regarding sealing them to the curb, I haven't researched this yet, but has anyone used double sided tape that might be easier to remove if the skylight must be removed for any reason, or is everyone going with a caulk type sealant that sets up and would make the skylight very hard to remove in the future if necessary?

Thanks in advance,
I use Dicor for this type of install. It was very easy to remove after 2 years, as I had a warranty issue with Maxim (which they handled very well, BTW).

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 05:50 PM   #295
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
I used Dicor also.

Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 06:26 PM   #296
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
I use Dicor for this type of install. It was very easy to remove after 2 years, as I had a warranty issue with Maxim (which they handled very well, BTW).

A very good point.

Not knowing any better, several years ago when I bought my Maxxims, I used the AS recommended general caulking product (Sikkafex) when I installed the Maxxims.

Big mistake - read on!

Seems to me at that time, I asked Maxxim, and they had no particular recommendation as to what I should use - maybe now they do! That was why I just went ahead with what I had on hand!

Anyway, after a couple of years, one of my skylights developed condensation between the polycarbonate layers and I could actually see that the black sealing material at the edge between the layers had bulged out of place (inward).

I also found Maxxim very good about this - they agreed to replace the complete assembly without question.

On a trip with our trailer through Dallas I picked up the new unit to take home to Canada. They were able to examine my old one on the trailer, and confirmed the internal condensation.

When i got home, I pulled all the securing screws to replace the old unit but found it impossible to get it off even using prybars levering on wood over to spread the load over roof rivet lines! I felt that if I pushed any harder I would damage the roof!

I decided to give it up and think about it some more!

To my surprise, over the summer, the condensation evaporated without leaving a trace and after several seasons has not returned!!

I did add lots of extra caulk to try to keep water away from the three piece polycarbonate sandwich.

So ..... I still have the brand new unit waiting to be installed if /when the condensation problem returns!

I did explain to Maxxim what had happened, as they had asked me if I would return the old unit for examination if I could and said they would pay the shipping.

After looking at the design detail of the Maxxim, I think that at this stage, if I ever do need to remove the old unit the only way I will be able to do it will be to cut off the old unit piece by piece with a dremel - possibly leaving the flat aluminum surface from the old frame that is securely caulked to the curb in place and dropping the new unit over it!

Not a job I relish, so my fingers are crossed hoping that the condensation does not return!

Be warned! ................ Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 12:44 PM   #297
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Thanks. Never heard of Dicor before. Is the the product you used?: http://dicorproducts.com/catalog/roo...-lap-sealants/

If so which type, self leveling, HAPS free, or non-sag?
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

Old 04-06-2016, 12:48 PM   #298
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Thanks. Never heard of Dicor before. Is the the product you used?: http://dicorproducts.com/catalog/roo...-lap-sealants/

If so which type, self leveling or for vertical surfaces?: http://dicorproducts.com/catalog/roo...-lap-sealants/
Yes, self leveling.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 04:00 PM   #299
2 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Pleasant Plains , Illinois
I have a 2005 model which I believe is older than what your AS is. I ordered two skylights from Maxim in February and completed installing them in March (it was warmer then). I called Maxim with my measurements and ended up with their standard 17.25" x 25.25" and 22.25" x 22.25" skylights which fit fine. Good luck.
Old 04-06-2016, 04:05 PM   #300
2 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Pleasant Plains , Illinois
Quote:
My post above was in reply to 66Overlander. I'm still trying to figure this posting thing out, so please bear with me.

Tags
oem skylights, replace