Old 09-17-2014, 11:36 AM   #197
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
I just installed a Maxim in my 2012 25FB. I will simply offer one piece of advice stated much earlier in this thread. Do not do this project by measuring from the top of your existing skylight, unless you are feeling lucky. You need to remove the skylight and take careful measurements at various heights on the curb before ordering a new one. You will have to place the old back on until the new one arrives and your trailer will not be useable during that time. Do not ask me how I know.
Larry

Old 09-17-2014, 01:55 PM   #198
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
I just installed a Maxim in my 2012 25FB. I will simply offer one piece of advice stated much earlier in this thread. Do not do this project by measuring from the top of your existing skylight, unless you are feeling lucky. You need to remove the skylight and take careful measurements at various heights on the curb before ordering a new one. You will have to place the old back on until the new one arrives and your trailer will not be useable during that time. Do not ask me how I know.
Larry
Larry,

Good advice! One possible problem might be though that the old original skylights could be so cracked and brittle (mine were) that you might have difficulty putting in back on after you have taken measurements. I guess in a pinch you could use a piece of plywood or something until receiving the new skylight.

My skylights were is such bad shape that I doubted I could re use them once removed, and so I did the best i could to measure the curbs with the old ones still in place.

Then, when i placed my order with Maxim, I added a little extra clearance dimension ( 1/4" as I recall) just in case I had mis- measured or perhaps the curb was a little out of square. I figured the slight added clarance should cause no problem and would hedge my bets a bit that the new skylight would drop down over the curb ok. That worked out fine.

I would perhaps add another word of caution as well though in relation to installing the new skylights .............

I used sikkaflex on top of the curb when installing the new skylight, and in hindsight think that was a bad move - I should have used butyl tape.

Recently one of my skylight developed some condensation between the domes (The internal seal had failed.)

I have a new skylight to replace it, but after removing all the screws from the old one, I still could not pry it free from the curb. I tried all kinds of prying methods but even spreading the prying force with wood layer on the roof, I was fearful of damaging the roof before the sikkaflex would let go!

Luckily, the condensation has evaporated in hot Arizona sun last winter and when we got home last Spring, I added caulk in any areas I thought were vulnerable and my fingers are crossed that it will not return. So far it is ok.

Realistically though I anticipate the condensation will returns sooner or later, and when it does, even though it is really just cosmetic, I will need to go ahead and replace the skylight.

My thinking now is that the only way I can remove it will be to cut the old skylight off in pieces with an angle grinder or Dremel tool - i.e. cutting the frame.

I will need to be careful not to damage the curb.

In fact, depending on how things go when i try cutting it off, I may just leave the flat portion of the original Maxim frame stuck to the top of the curb, clean up its edges with the grinder, and drop the new skylight over it - this time with butyl tape as a seal!

Lesson learned!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 02:36 PM   #199
Rivet Master

Nasty results Brian. David at Maxim is not a supporter of tape. I used removable 3M 4200, easier than Sikaflex but any of us could be in the same boat if we needed to remove the Maxim. I wonder if any adhesive is necessary with 12 screws holding it. I cannot see a leak path if no adhesive is used.
Larry
Old 09-18-2014, 11:35 AM   #200
Maxim Skylights

Currently Looking...
Dallas , Texas
Maxim Skylights Replies

Hello L, I do appreciate the feedback on the sizing and hopefully others will find this helpful too.

Hello B, Please know that we do caution against using butyl types as they have a tendency to ooze. Heat, mixed with contraction and expansion of the polycarbonate, may cause the butyl tape to become so hot that it will literally melt and therefore render the seal ineffective and possibly become visible from the interior. Even though we use a sealant tape that is not readily available on the open market, we have experienced this. To help prevent this, Maxim now includes a secondary seal to prevent our sealant tape from becoming visible from the interior.

Hope this is helpful information! David
Old 09-18-2014, 12:48 PM   #201
Rivet Master

I looked again, I used 3M 4000UV.
Larry
Old 09-18-2014, 01:41 PM   #202
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximSky View Post
Hello L, I do appreciate the feedback on the sizing and hopefully others will find this helpful too.

Hello B, Please know that we do caution against using butyl types as they have a tendency to ooze. Heat, mixed with contraction and expansion of the polycarbonate, may cause the butyl tape to become so hot that it will literally melt and therefore render the seal ineffective and possibly become visible from the interior. Even though we use a sealant tape that is not readily available on the open market, we have experienced this. To help prevent this, Maxim now includes a secondary seal to prevent our sealant tape from becoming visible from the interior.

Hope this is helpful information! David

Thanks David,

Any thoughts as to a product that is available to retail buyers that would be best for installation on the Airstream?

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Old 09-18-2014, 01:56 PM   #203
Maxim Skylights

Currently Looking...
Dallas , Texas
Hi Brian, Can you tell me which Sikaflex you used?
Old 09-19-2014, 07:20 AM   #204
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximSky View Post
Hi Brian, Can you tell me which Sikaflex you used?
Can't be certain which, but it would either have been Sikaflex 221 which I keep on hand in gray colour for window seams and such or Sikaflex 721 which I keep in white for stuff up on the roof as it is supposed to be more UV resistant.

At this stage, I really think that the only way I will ever get the skylight off will be to carefully cut the frame into pieces! to get most of the old skylight assembly off leaving just the strip that is bonded to the curb.

At that stage, I guess my options would be to try and cut through the remaining strip down to the adhesive and cut it into short section - maybe 6" long and hopefully then I could pry off those small pieces!

If unable to do that, I would just leave the strip of old frame in place - would do no harm - and drop the new skylight on to and caulk it with something different!

Guess I should have known better! But then I never really thought about having to remove the skylight once on!

I did wonder about being able to remove the retaining frame off the old skylight and just swapping the old dome assembly for the new one - but I don't think that can be done either!

Oh well - live and learn! I'm sure I will resolve it but it just will be a whole lot more work than it would have been had I used some different caulking in the first place!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Old 10-07-2014, 11:16 PM   #205
1 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
1976 Argosy 22
Jackpot , Nevada
Alternatives to Maxim Skylights? Are they still in business?

Its reassuring to see recent posts from people installing Maxim skylights, after reading such good endorsements... I have been trying to order for a couple of weeks now with zero luck.
is this the correct webpage for the company?
Contact Us - Maxim SkylightMaxim Skylight

one of the toll free numbers is disconnected, the other directs to some guy's voicemail (no mention of skylights or the company name or anything) I left a message two weeks ago... no reply. Sent an email, nothing.
Sooo... not really impressed by Maxim so far. Are there any alternatives for older model skylights? I know Vintage Trailer sells an up rated replacementsfor the 60s & 70s vintage, but I would really like translucent.
thanks
Old 10-08-2014, 10:23 PM   #206
Maxim Skylights

Currently Looking...
Dallas , Texas
Hello Crazy Phillip, So sorry you are not impressed and are having trouble contacting Maxim Skylights, but we are still here. Please check the number; 888-222-4898 is our toll free number but we also have local and toll free numbers on our website for Texas and Florida. You can also send an e-mail to info@maximskylights.com with your request. Once we receive a call or e-mail I am sure we will be able to help you.
Old 10-09-2014, 09:29 PM   #207
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Do the Maxims
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 09:37 PM   #208
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
Fresno , California
The Maxims made a difference in my rig
2007 Ram 2500
dougandlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 05:52 AM   #209
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
We installed the Maxims in our 30' Excella a couple months ago. They are great, and they are great people to deal with, (and they are still there)
You won't be sorry..
Larry C

1996 34' Excella 1000, interior totally redone, 2003 Dodge/Cummins HO, U.S. Gear exhaust brake, Diablo tuner, 115 gallon aux fuel, Bedslide, Airsafe/Reese Dual Cam, and a bunch of other stuff
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 06:27 AM   #210
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
If the sub frame of the skylight is caulked to the curb and not leaking why wouldn't you just replace the acrylic dome and reuse the retainer? That's all I do on residential installations when a dome fails.
Al

TAC ON-3
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oem skylights, replace