Old 04-10-2013, 09:20 AM   #155
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Bingo! We have a winner:

It's been raining all day. Great for diagnosis. The rear edge of the rear skylight has been obviously leaking a little bit for some time by the looks of the wood block. But just started to leak badly enough to show up. Not even running to the floor level.

Three separate drip locations on this one.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130410_094223_925.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	182925

Decided to pull the front one. A fresh drip there. No discoloration of the block and no indication of a leak anywhere else up front.

Name:	IMG_20130410_095112_658.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	246.0 KB
ID:	182926

I am posting this so others may not rely on just seeing water filling the bottom pane of the skylight as an indicator of problems. And it pays to be diligent and observant whenever you even half way suspect somethng.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:13 PM   #156
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Just finished my install. Went just as Kevin laid out. Took a day an a half to replace the skylights, reseal the vents and TV and Radio antennas. I also hit every rivet on and bordering the white panels with Captain Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure. Found three suspect rivets. I think the stuff is worth the cost.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 04-21-2013, 01:44 PM   #157
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTrouper View Post
If Airstream is listening, I think they could remove one of their common maintenance and warranty issues if they just spec'd or offered Maxims in production.

Brad

I don't think they are interested.

I sent full details to my contact at JC a couple of years ago after I installed Maxims.

I got a reply back saying the info had been passed on to the appropriate people for consideration.

Unless there are other valid reasons not to go this route, I think that AS these days are too concerned with ways to reduce costs, not to
improve quality - even though the existing flimsy skylight arrangement is a known source of problems for many owners.

I suppose the number of warranty claims AS has to fund does not warrant their use of a more expensive product on all trailers.

You' d think they might at least offer Maxims as an option, but then, I suppose that would be admission that their standard arrangement is somewhat lacking!

I'm sure I was not the first to pass the Maxim info on to them.

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:57 PM   #158
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Holy crackuups and new Maxims

Name:	image-644965652.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	465.9 KB
ID:	184305

Name:	image-2833511612.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	464.9 KB
ID:	184306

Name:	image-3188981752.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	430.3 KB
ID:	184307
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 07:54 AM   #159
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
I ordered two Maxim skylights mid December. They arrived the first week of January. I have installed one of them and will soon begin installing the second one. They are far better quality than the original equipment skylights!

I have a few questions for those of you who have already installed them, since I did not get any installation instructions. I emailed Maxim two days ago requesting this information, but did not get a response yet.

There are hex head bolts around the perimeter of the frame, which hold the outer frame to the inner frame. The holes in the outer frame where the bolts go through are slotted. Are the slotted holes built that way so they can weep water from the inside? Did you seal these slots with caulk?
Old 01-16-2014, 08:08 AM   #160
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Hi Alan.

It's been awhile, but mine had bolts that went in from the vertical sides of the frame and attached to the existing AS curb through their vertical surface...or sides.

As I recall, the bolts passed through two aluminum surfaces that formed a u-channel of sorts. IIRC, I did not seal the outer frame holes, but only the AS curb holes, as I believe that there is no way to leak into the AS, except through the curb. Hope that makes sense.

EDIT: I stand corrected. I went back and looks at some of my pictures, and there are 4 bolts which attach to the top horizontal surface as well as the 8 on the sides.

I did not seal the heads and their mating surface. I did make sure that the top of the curb flange was well covered with sealer.

Old 01-16-2014, 02:30 PM   #161
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
I got a response back from David at Maxim. He told me to not seal the slotted holes.

add edit: David also told me to not use any type of protectant on the polycarbonate dome. Mild detergent and water should be the only thing used for cleaning.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:45 AM   #162
2 Rivet Member

1996 34' Limited
1961 28' Ambassador
1969 31' Sovereign
Hamilton , Texas
Red face Maxim Skylight

Three weeks ago we drove to Durango, CO to pick up our second Airstream. She is a 1996 34' Limited, the trailer of my dreams and luckily my husband loves this one also. However before we even got back to Albuquerque, NM the back skylight blew right off along with it the old a/c cover, oh well. So went to Camping World and got a replacement for a/c and hubby replaced it, no problem. I ordered a new skylight from camping world they said a week and 2 weeks later it is lost which I'm glad.

This lead me to check the forum and guess what I found, this great thread for Maxim Skylights. Since I live in central Texas (kids and grandkids live around DFW Metroplex) I called Liz last week and picked up new skylight yesterday. Liz was very helpful I didn't have to measure or anything she knew which one I needed. There location is very easy to get to, right off of 30, Meet David while I was there, what a great bunch.

So I looked it over and they wrapped it up for me to take home. Hubby installed it this morning super easy and looks great. We got all three layers bronze and the white frame. Love it.

So another success story for Maxim Skylights.
Old 04-17-2014, 04:09 PM   #163
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
I added the Maxim's a couple of months after my new trailer had been delivered. Frankly, the toughest part of the install was REMOVAL of the "GLADWRAP" plastic that the factory had installed. I was really shocked at how "lightweight" these things were....oh, and having selected a "Bronze-Clear-Clear" with the Maxim's, I also cut out some of the rays that were not dissipated by the "GLADWRAP", standard issue skylights. Granted, the Maxim's cost more, but what a difference. I'm sure the Maxim folks have appreciated all of us who have put them on our trailers!
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 08:24 PM   #164
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
We installed the Maxim clear-bronze-clear in the kitchen area and the Maxim clear-frosted white-clear in the bathroom area. If I look up at the white unit with the sun overhead, there is no blinding light. The bronze just tones the sun light down a little, so no looking at the sun.

I was really glad to replace the Airstream installed "junque" skylights (cause they are so over priced). That is one set of potential leaks headed off at the pass.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 04:11 PM   #165
3 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
_ , Florida
2 1/2 years after I installed my Maxim Bronze, Bronze, Clear skylights are still going strong on my 27FB. I still love the color that comes through my skylights, almost like a sunset which goes well with my Ocean Breeze edition.

I've seen a noticeable increase in performance in my air conditioning. Before the Maxim's during the summer the lowest I could get my temp inside was about 80 and after the install I had no problem keeping 73-75.

I'm still amazed that Airstream puts such crappy skylights in their trailers considering that they charge so much their product. For a little more than $300 I installed skylights that will last 10-20 years and provide a vast improvement in the performance of my air conditioning. I don't know anyone who would buy a 60k plus Airstream that wouldn't mind spending another $300-$500 to have skylights that are way better than the crap that they supply now.
Old 05-04-2014, 04:28 PM   #166
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLMarine View Post
2 1/2 years after I installed my Maxim Bronze, Bronze, Clear skylights are still going strong on my 27FB. I still love the color that comes through my skylights, almost like a sunset which goes well with my Ocean Breeze edition.

I've seen a noticeable increase in performance in my air conditioning. Before the Maxim's during the summer the lowest I could get my temp inside was about 80 and after the install I had no problem keeping 73-75.

I'm still amazed that Airstream puts such crappy skylights in their trailers considering that they charge so much their product. For a little more than $300 I installed skylights that will last 10-20 years and provide a vast improvement in the performance of my air conditioning. I don't know anyone who would buy a 60k plus Airstream that wouldn't mind spending another $300-$500 to have skylights that are way better than the crap that they supply now.
Agreed!! I , along with I'm sure many others, have sent details to AS but no change.

I suppose it is strictly a $$ issue, but just as you say, I would think people who are willing to pay the price for an AS would be willing to pay a bit more for quality skylights and not suffer the disappointment of the crappy OEM stuff they are still using.

Could there be some other reason they won't use them? Wonder f they have ever ordered a set.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 10:38 PM   #167
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
I was at my local Airstream dealer, Out of Doors Mart, a few weeks ago. OODM has started stocking the Maxim skylights in the parts department. Perhaps if more dealers start to stock and sell the Maxim units as replacements, Airstream will take notice.
TAC FL-55 | WBCCI 3823 - Unit 12 | AIR 48265
Florida 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 02:11 AM   #168
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Since the production is sold out six months, why would Airstream decrease their profit margins by installing quality skylights? Wait until you see inside the electric outlets. They make the cheapest units at a local discount store look like Military Spec.

We installed the Maxim frosted white over the bath area and a bronze unit in the living room.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oem skylights, replace