Old 06-05-2016, 04:14 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
North central , Florida
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
You did not say where, when, temperature or humidity.... but to compare:

Mohave Desert Boondocking is wonderful during October to April. Not June, July or August. September and May are transitional. I could also include the entire Southwest and Southern States... for experiences of Hot, Humid and Miserable.. but want to have some optimism about the Summer months.

This concerns Off the Grid camping in your Airstream. I could include with full hookups and still wonder... why not head North and towards Elevations above 5,000 feet?

June 4, 2016 Boulder City, Nevada 2506 feet elevation, 10:30AM sunny

Outdoor temperature under shaded patio: 99.0 F
Outdoor temperature in sunlight: 104.0 F 7% humidity
Aluminum exterior of Airstream in sunlight: 140.5 F 1% humidity
Inside trailer while in sunlight: 96.0 F 7% humidity
Inside trailer while in sunlight with two ceiling fans at #3: 97.0 F
Inside trailer 15 minutes with fans running at #3: 99.0 F
Inside trailer 30 minutes with fans running at #3: 99.5 F

Temperature of RV Garage attached to house: 93.5 F

Inside trailer in sunlight, door open, both ceiling vents at #3 full speed: 99.5 F Trailer versus 140.5 F aluminum skin.

As expected, running the ceiling fans draws in hotter outside air during the daylight hours. With the exterior aluminum at 140.5 F, exterior temperature in the sun at 104.5 F, and in the shade 99.0 F... it is unpleasant.

Anyone expecting to Boondock hot and humid parts of the USA without hookups, this is what you can expect.

We are preparing the trailer for the Boondocking School for Greenhorns in High Colorado 'COOL' Adventure and leaving Sunday AM. Our trailer is stored in a RV Garage that is not cooled with Air Conditioning, but 46 degrees cooler than the surface of the trailer in direct sunlight. In order to flush the fresh water lines and tank... I wanted to get an idea of what extremes could be found while outside in the full sun.

I thought some comparisons of unpleasant would be good. Our humidity is under 10%... and often at 3%.

We are going to an outdoor Blues Concert in Henderson, Nevada this evening. It begins at 6PM and is finished at 10PM. This may as well be a Red Hot Chili Pepper Concert... but we find 85 F chilly around here.

For crowded Death Valley in the winter months... Glacier National Park in Montana, the Tetons of Wyoming and Yellowstone Park are quiet. (In reference to the National Park crowding.)
I think the op was talking about keeping it cool in his mh while driving.

1984 Avion 30p 9.1 meter. 2006 Dodge 3500 cummins srw short bed crew cab.
avionstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 04:16 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
North central , Florida
Originally Posted by Urbanologist View Post
As I read your question, you are on the road - in motion - with guests in the trailer? If this is the case, I guess their safety should/would be a concern. I'm sure it's done - BUT - a fairly unsafe idea. There are no seatbelts in the units and many jurisdictions are clear, much like carrying passengers in a truck bed, don't do it.
Lounge model is a mh.

1984 Avion 30p 9.1 meter. 2006 Dodge 3500 cummins srw short bed crew cab.
avionstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 04:35 PM   #17
2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
In fairness to Urbanologist, I thought that the discussion was about being in a trailer too based on the OP. Wasn't aware Lounge implied the Interstate. Now I know.

Sometimes I wish I were living in the stone age. Then I would know I'm the smartest person in the world.
crazylev is offline   Reply With Quote