Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2009, 09:26 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Warner , New Hampshire
Solar/wind roof vents

I found these rv vents while searching online. They look like a great alternative to the other roof vents out there plus they are polished aluminum. I was searching for AC units and came across these. Since I live in NH and mainly travel to the mountains in the east and west I hardly ever need AC. These units will run on solar, wind, or just by convection.

If anyone has any experiance with these or knows of any reason why I shouldn't use them please let me know. I think I might even put these in my house.

Aura-T Solar Trailer Vent Fan | Solar Fan for RV

Brian
briheath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 09:45 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by briheath View Post
I found these rv vents while searching online. They look like a great alternative to the other roof vents out there plus they are polished aluminum. I was searching for AC units and came across these. Since I live in NH and mainly travel to the mountains in the east and west I hardly ever need AC. These units will run on solar, wind, or just by convection.

If anyone has any experiance with these or knows of any reason why I shouldn't use them please let me know. I think I might even put these in my house.

Aura-T Solar Trailer Vent Fan | Solar Fan for RV

Brian
Brian.

I didn't see how or what they provide to keep rain out.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 04:36 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Warner , New Hampshire
I'm not sure about the engineering behind the product but they have tested them in 120 - 200 mph winds with 8" of rain per hour. There web site also has them tested for Dade County Fl. Plus they list other test results.

Brian
Old 05-25-2009, 05:49 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari
Jasper , Georgia
Internal Damper keeps rain out

There is a pdf file brochure on their website for the RV Vent. It shows pictures of the vent with the damper open and closed.
http://www.roofvents.com/aura-t.pdf
It looks like the vent fan exits to the side and is solid on top. That should help keep rain out too.
Paul&Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 08:08 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
can it be turned off, like in the cold weather?
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 08:35 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
wichita , Kansas
I im trying to find out about the $200 build it yourself solar panels. can any one tell me anything about them iv been looking for info on it but i cant seem to find anything. How well do they work? are they as easy as people say they are? and is it just a waist of my time? i just need something to reduce some of my electic bill i dont have the money to do the whole house. If i do one panel then how much stuff can i run off of it?
clifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 04:50 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Warner , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by clifton View Post
I im trying to find out about the $200 build it yourself solar panels. can any one tell me anything about them iv been looking for info on it but i cant seem to find anything. How well do they work? are they as easy as people say they are? and is it just a waist of my time? i just need something to reduce some of my electic bill i dont have the money to do the whole house. If i do one panel then how much stuff can i run off of it?
clifton,

I have never installed the buil it yourself solar panels. How many watts are they supposed to produce? In my experiance it would be easier to buy a high quality solar panel that can produce 200 plus watts for about the same price. You can also add more panels in the future to produce even more power. You could power some small loads with one panel. Something like low wattage light bulbs, fans, the best and most efficient way to run small items is buy using DC power. You can set up certain items to run off of DC and power those with the solar panel. Otherwise you will need an inverter to convert the DC to AC power.

Brian
Old 05-29-2009, 08:22 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
wichita , Kansas
i dont know the watts. iv ben trying to find it but i cant non of the sites iv looked at dont tell me anything. allso i dont know much about electricity. i dont realy like to mess with it. but im converting a garage into a bedroom. so i figure since its guted out right now would be the best time to check it out
Old 05-29-2009, 10:25 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
West Marine carry a line of solar powered vents for marine use that you can keep 'open' with worrying about water coming aboard...I've used two of this type of vent on a boat for many years, and they're still working to move some air to keep away the mold, etc...

West Marine: Day/Night Plus Solar Vents Product Display

I don't know why these wouldn't work on an AS, as well, to keep some air flowing when in storage...you can close them down completely if req'd when running the AC, etc...
Old 05-29-2009, 08:05 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
wichita , Kansas
thats cool but how well would it work fo a garage because from the looks of it its for boats and its a ventilation to circulate air to keep moisture out. but thank i might look into it latter. right now i need someting that works great for a fridge abnout 2 lights a comp tv and a ac/heater window unit radio and a little extra just in case i want to hook up more. a reminder i dont know much about electricity.
Old 05-30-2009, 05:58 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Warner , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by clifton View Post
thats cool but how well would it work fo a garage because from the looks of it its for boats and its a ventilation to circulate air to keep moisture out. but thank i might look into it latter. right now i need someting that works great for a fridge abnout 2 lights a comp tv and a ac/heater window unit radio and a little extra just in case i want to hook up more. a reminder i dont know much about electricity.
Clifton

There is no way that a 200 watt panel can power all of those appliances. You could do the two lights if they were compact floresent. The fridge and AC/heater are definately out of the question. I have 8 150 watt panels and 16 trojan t105 batteries in my house and I couldn't even run an AC unit/heater. Unless it was a clear day and only for the period of full sun. My entire house can run off of the panels and batteries but I still limit the load. Heating units and AC use a lot of power plus if there being used at night you would need battery backup to power them. What you can do is hook up a sub panel that has only the small loads that you want to power by the solar. Sorry about the bad news. You will need to add up the wattage used of the appliances and go from there. This is how you need to size the solar electricity system.

Brian
Old 05-30-2009, 11:49 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
wichita , Kansas
man tha sucks but i didnt expect it to power it all. i was talking to some people about it and im startin to understand it. does the build it your self work? allso how do you hook it up? you just run wires to the braker. and does it run just however much it can and the rest of the electricity goes through the power comp? i want to save some money but if its to much of a hassle then i dont want to mess with it
Old 05-30-2009, 03:23 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Clifton...get some expert advise for your particular RV before you spend your money...

In a basic mode, the solar panels are hooked directly to the batteries, through a charge controller (regulator)...

You will be 'running off the solar panels' if your current usage (RV load) is equal to, or less that the current provided at any one time by the panels...

Now if you use more current than the panels are putting out, you will then be also using current from your batteries to pick up the slack, so to speak...

When you reduce your current use, the panels can then slowly begin to recharge the batteries...how long, and how much depends on the size of your panels and the state of charge of your batteries, etc...

Like I said, get some advise from an expert in this field...not just from someone that's trying to sell you panels...

Good luck...
Old 05-30-2009, 04:14 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
wichita , Kansas
sounds good thanks