Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Roof Vents, Skylights & Fans
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-15-2014, 07:42 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1969 23' Safari
Blenheim , Ontario
Snow and wind coming threw vents.

I'm not sure if others have the same problem with their As but I've noticed a lot of unnecessary cold air / snow coming in threw the stove vent and sub floor fridge vent and into the coach.
The exterior stove vent is sealed with new screening ( prevent bugs) as is fridge vent x2.
Without leaving the stove fan on to reverse flow. What other alternatives are there to solve this problem.
For the fridge vent I could place 2 inch foam board over in hole via fridge access panel. But I'm stumped for the exterior stove vent. Is this just a problem for 69s and 70s coaches?
Nice to know that threw the vortex of weather these are my only noticeable leaks.
Cyquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 07:47 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1969 23' Safari
Blenheim , Ontario
Sorry! 3 screens on fridge venting hole. 2 on belly and one on the subfloor.

Sent from my LG-E617G using Airstream Forums mobile app
Old 01-15-2014, 07:51 PM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyquest View Post
For the fridge vent I could place 2 inch foam board over in hole via fridge access panel. But I'm stumped for the exterior stove vent. Is this just a problem for 69s and 70s coaches?
You can't seal off vents for propane appliances if you want the appliances to work. That's true for any RV, any year, not just 60's and 70's Airstreams. You could seal the stove and fridge vents if you're willing to do without your stove and fridge. It wouldn't be difficult. No need for foam, just slap some duct tape over the vents.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:51 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
If you have your refer operating on electric. You can close off the floor vent for the winter. Obviously, if you can feel the cold air coming in you will get enough draft thru the roof vent for the heat to get away on electric.
If you are referring to the exhaust vent for the stove cooktop. There should be a damper to close it off when not in use. Mine has a cover on the outside that is operated by a lever inside the cabinet above the stove.
We don't use the cooktop exhaust fan because it sounds like a 747 is landing in the trailer. We just turn on the ceiling vent fan in the galley.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 03:21 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1969 23' Safari
Blenheim , Ontario
For the floor vent in the floor I was thinking a trap door on a piano hinge with a draw string that runs into the dry rack above the the fridge. No worries there.
My exterior stoptop vent has no flap. So wind blows snow and rain up the vent. Where it collects and runs down the fan assembly. Leaking threw any opening on the way down onto the wood shelf. Then pool on the base inside. Which explains why I had to replace the wood after purchase.
And yes Twinkie. I agree. I thought a C-17 myself. Even after disassembling and lubin it.

Sent from my LG-E617G using Airstream Forums mobile app