Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2002, 06:28 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Small box fans

I have a couple 3 1/2-4" 12 volt box fan sitting around and was wondering if I mounted one or two of them on an aluminum sheet then placed this sheet over a vent opening, would this keep the interior any cooler while the unit sat around not being used? I thought about wiring this into a 5 watt solar panel so that the fans run during the heat of the day then taper off as it gets dark. Any ideas? Craig

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2002, 08:37 PM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
David,

On our 77 Sovereign we had a thermostat controlled MAX Air vent and a solar system on the rig. We always left the vent open, with the fan on. It made a big difference in the startup out of storage as the air inside was fresh and the coach did not have that stuffy smell that you can get in storage. So my recommendation is go for it! Let us know how it works.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2002, 09:06 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
What you are describing is what the FanatasticFan company has pretty much built a business on. Their fans have a t'stat and some have a rain sensor to close the vent cover, then open it again.

The only thing I would need to ask is will you be around when it rains to close your vent? Or is your trailer covered?

-BobbyWright

-"You want to make it two inches - or, if you're working in centimeters, make sure it's enough centimeters for two inches."-Red Green
BobbyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2002, 09:20 PM   #4
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Bobby,

The MAX Air covered the vent totally. So no rain. That is what my wife liked the best. being able to run the fan on exaust or intake even in a downpour.

I would think that if David only opened the vent far enough to slip the fans in on top or only opened the vent 1/2 to 3/4 inch the rain should not get in. I leave mine that way without any fans only to help keep the inside temps down.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2002, 09:38 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Thanks guys,
I just wanted to know if it was feasible. I keep my vent tops open a couple inches to let the heat escape and lately have opened the rear bathroom window just a few inches to help circulate air. Since the fans are just sitting there from an old project, I thought I would put them to use. The trailer is in my driveway behind the house, to my wife's displeasure, so it would be easy to remove the fan for extremely bad weather.
sooner or later I will try to buy a 1982 Excella II in the 25 ft. length and will add a large solar panel in addition to fantastic fans. I'm looking at a couple years down the way though.
Craig

AIR #0078
3.73 rear end
Old 07-08-2002, 06:31 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Lightbulb boxer fan

Dave,
I was thinking the same thing..Not only do they work~but, whisper quiet~!~I've had many yrs experiences with these lil suckers..Used em in all sorts of building projects ..from 3kw SSB amplifiers to remote repeater shacks..I still have one set that, should I ever decided to set the sails, would move the A/S down the hiway....lol
made me thinkin again....
ciao
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2002, 08:18 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

I am new to all this... totally new... however, it seems like a great idea to have such fans.

A thought I have is to build the thermostatically controlled fans into a little vent box and add some AC filter paper to keep the bugs, pollen and dust to a minimum.

Our local ACE Hardware store has AC filter paper in small rolls next to the AC, Furnace and Heater filter panels. The paper is labeled as low restriction and ultra-filtration. There seems to be nothing like this on-line...

There is also the foam filter fabric such as that in the 24 in X 25 ft Roll Poly Filter Material by Purolator Products
SKU: 8237802 Retail Value: $33.75:
http://doityourself.com/store/furnac...ndcutdowns.htm

or another cut to fit foam fabric filter:
http://www.bellparts.com/parts/produ...=52&sku=876775

Purolator makes these washable, cut to fit fabrics:
http://www.purolatorair.com/retail/special.htm
Old 07-20-2002, 11:22 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Jody,
Since none of my 3 exhaust vents with 12 volt fans have anything more than a screen and my small bathroom fan has an even coarser screen, I had not even thought about filtration paper of any kind. Since they all exhaust air from the trailer then it would be a moot point. If I would use the small fans to bring air in, I would worry about it lowering the flow of air with such small fans. The larger Fantastic fan is probably another story. Since it can be run in both directions to exhaust as well as draw in air, filtration paper with velcro fasteners might be an idea. Who knows, maybe even an automotive air filter the right diameter and heigth could be used. I'll probably just keep dusting the interior. My wife keeps asking me why I can dust the interior of my Airstream but can't dust the inside of the house. I just tell her something "comes over me" when I go inside the coach that I can't explain. It must be some type of furniture or aluminum disease. Craig

AIR #0078
3.73 rear end
Old 07-20-2002, 10:04 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

I guess that dusting is just a sort of petting and caressing of your AirStream!

One of the things that I did in the homes I built to sell, was to put some small exaust fans ( humidity and thermastatically controlled) in the master bathrooms, attics and basements. I then placed some intake vents, using dryer hose in some cases, with a small filter box and AC filter insert -- to keep the incoming air nice and clean. Very little cost.

I like INCOMING ventilation air is a small space, such as a single room and that is what I plan for my AS. The reason is that I would rather filter the incoming air and let it find it's way out, any way it can get out, through all the little holes in the trailer. I'd rather not suck air in through all the little air-leaky places as they may have mold, mildew, dirt, and even odors that would then be sucked throught the home. Just my thing... I hate to dust!!! You may have guessed that by now.

Take care,
Jody
Old 07-23-2002, 04:26 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Makes sense Jody.

AIR #0078
3.73 rear end
Old 01-04-2003, 05:02 PM   #11
JLD
2 Rivet Member

Send a message via AIM to JLD
fans

The former owner of my Soveriegn installed a small fan above the slidding door of the bedroom. We have the rea bedroom, twin bed style in our 31 ft 1978. This small fan, about sis by six inches I think, fits neatly between the ceiling and the rail. He wired it over to one of the reading lights in the bedroom. It moves just enough air to aid in getting warmth forward into the bedroom in the winter and coll air back in the summer.
JLD is offline   Reply With Quote